nutter
Years ago

NBL not for spectators

No matter what people say professional sport will always be about money making. The main income for sporting clubs and professional leagues are TV rights, sponsors and paying spectators. in saying this at the moment the NBL really has NONE of these, very few teams are getting consistantly good crowds and many are struggling to get major sponsors.

For a while now ive been trying to figure out why this is when places like America and Europe are managing all of these things and are making HUGE money.

It took me a while but ive realised the things that we love in our sport are not necessarily the things that bring in the spectators. The things like using the whole shot clock, the team orientated offences that dont often show off the array of ball skills these players really have.

In saying this I think that he NBA has it 100% right when it comes to making basketball a spectator sport. Slight rule changes like an extended three point line for the long bombs. Defensive three seconds that allow the more skilled players to just about walk through the key to dunk it though traffic and the relaxed travel rules. To the basketballer like you and I we almost laugh at the NBA when we see people taking three or even four steps before dunking or laying-up but to anyone who doesn't know the game very well couldn't care less how many steps someone takes they just want to see big dunks and big shots.

All this being said I wonder if the NBL could adapt any of these type of rules to help bring in some bigger crowds. Maybe not all of them or even the same ones, but maybe some of our own rules that will help the NBL become more of a spectator sport and hopefully bring in more money because lets face it all of the money is based around spectators, more spectators means bigger crowds, bigger crowds means more sponsors AND possibly better TV rights. The one thing the NBL has got going for it is that it is played in summer and away from the AFL and NRL seasons so there is potential for big crowds.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Maybe some ideas for rule changes?

I just hope the NBL managment realises that things need to cahnge before its to late.

Topic #16464 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

This marks the start of "Truth in nicknames" week on hoops.com.au.

Reply #193840 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

heard a lot of rugby clubs have pokies which help teams survive. any possibility the sixers and other nbl clubs could do something like this to generate extra revenue. much prefer sporting clubs to profit from pokies than already rich pubs,

Reply #193863 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

In the Eastern States it is the removal of pokies combined with the anti-smoking laws from the League Clubs which is really hurting the NRL clubs. The cash cow has been dried up by State laws.

Reply #193880 | Report this post

SVD is massive!  
Years ago

It sure does kad

Reply #193911 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

TBH i think nuter has a point, its all about public interest, whether it be via live or TV, if people arent watching...we aint got a league.

aybe we need a think tank on the NBL, bring some people from outside the game in to give their thoughts...dont worry about what has happened in the past, how we "used to do things"

The NBL is in trouble...make no mistake, unless something changes to bring viewers back to the games and the TV...we will not have a league to discuss.

The NBA has its knockers, but...there is no doubt it does what it does very well.

Question is...what do you want...

The game in all its original glory (with this option you get to watch it at your local court with no superstars or hype)

or

The Ball of the future that is about excitement, hype, superstars, cash and flashing lights?

remember..the local court is there now...when was the last time you went..just to watch?

Reply #193964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we SERIOUSLY need to get free to air TV back on board...that would be a great start; whatever the NBL needs to do to get that back, they should do it, no matter waht kind of Butt kissing it involves.

Reply #193974 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sigh...

NBL on free to air..will only come..if people want to watch it.

its very simple,

Advertisiers pay to reach the number of people watching a show, if there are not enough watching, no-one pays to advertise, the show stops (refer bigbrother).

FTA is not the answer..FTA is a result.

Come on Hoops people...
what makes people watch Basketball?

Reply #194016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754