skip
Years ago

Bendigo Spirit protest use of name

WNBL team the Bendigo Spirit are attempting to block West Sydney from taking on the name 'Spirit'

A decision is expected to be made when the NBL board next meets on July 31st.

Full Story..
http://linky.com.au/cas2v

Personally I hope it does get blocked. I did a quick whip round the office asking people (most who dont know the NBL that well) what sport they thought a team called the Sydney Spirit would be playing. Of the 10 people I asked, 7 thought Netball, 2 thought Soccer and one thought Lacrosse. All were very surprised when they heard it was the mens basketball team.

Topic #16509 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree- it's a gay name- surely they could come up with something better that not only isn't already taken, but sounds better than an u9's team....

Reply #194458 | Report this post

B-City  
Years ago

The name Sydney Heat is good for me..

Reply #194468 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

A little bit more on the situation
http://linky.com.au/71u4k

It says that the name 'Spirit' was chosen from over 2000 different options. If that was the best of them all, I would love to see what just some of the other apparent choices were.

Reply #194479 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Why not go back to the Supersonics?

Reply #194483 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Heat would just bring you back to the old NBA problem that caused Townsville to become the Crocs back in the day. The NBA clubs pretty much argued that the name associated with the game of basketball constintuted something akin to a trademark. I believe the Magic came to an agreement with Orlando, but Townsville just changed the name. Sydney survived because I THINK they actually had the name before Sacremento( or at least long enough that it didn't matter), etc.......

Put it this way....I don't think any team would NOW deliberately pick a team name used in the NBA.

Reply #194487 | Report this post

Cincinnati Royals begat Kansas City Kings begat Sacremento Kings.

The big O (Oscar Robertson) played for Royals averaged triple double in at least one season.

All off the top of my head.

Reply #194494 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It would only be a problem if the club holds the Trademark within Australia.

Reply #194496 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Skip....I don't think that's quite right.

From memory, there is a degree of expected protection if it's a well established name/brand in the same field of operation.

I'm not 100%, but there must be something to it. Otherwise the Townsville Suns would still be the Suns.

Reply #194501 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Forget about Heat, the Gold Coast already tried it. At least we had the chance to pick a name...

From the full Fox Sports story (link below):
-----
Gold Coast Heat was the most popular name in the voting competition but it was rejected following objections from American National Basketball Association management.

"We've respected the wishes of the NBA and the Miami Heat team and chosen not to use the name, but we think Blaze captures the essence of Gold Coast culture just as well," (Dave) Claxton said.
------
I think timing, or lack thereof, is the main reason for the name change push, without fan consultation. I agree with Skip and hope it gets blocked.

Actually the whole thing seems way too rushed and I really hope it doesn't come back to bite the franchise in some way this season. While I see why they've done this, would it have cost them too much to keep razorbacks for one more season?

http://linky.com.au/7f0aw

Reply #194502 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I just did a quick look to see who held the trademark of Celtics.
It has been registered to Boston in Australia with the renewal not until 2013.

Dicko - Why then would NZNBL teams be ok?

Reply #194503 | Report this post

Moody Tuesday  
Years ago

The Adelaide Advertiser should be trying to block the Bendigo Advertiser from using its name too! meh

(see link in first post)

Reply #194510 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Dicko - you are right that there is an inherent protection in a trade mark against other businesses using the trade mark on goods or services similar to those covered by the trade mark registration. The US and Australia are signatories to various international intellectual property treaties that result in each country being afforded the benefit of the other's IP protection. Not sure if NZ are a party to the treaties but I would be surprised if they were not.

Skip - it's possible that the NBA teams can't be bothered making issue with the NZNBL teams. Bigger fish to fry?

Reply #194521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:43 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754