AK-47
Years ago

Sydneys new name

Skips topic has inspired me.
Lets all suggest names and colours for the Sydney team (formerly West Sydney Razorbacks)

Stars
Monarchs - purple and grey
Magic- Black

theres a few to start us off

Topic #16511 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

a throwback to the 80's: Sydney Spectres

Reply #194466 | Report this post

B-City  
Years ago

Sydney Heat?

Reply #194467 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

sydney queens? get the gay community behind the players. (befote anyone points it out, i'm aware that 'behind the players' has a double meaning)

Reply #194469 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I still reckon they should jump on Celtics.

Obvious colours.

Reply #194470 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Didn't Townsville try to use Heat a while back and the NBA prevented it? I'm sure that happened.

Reply #194474 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Think you might be confused with the Townsville Suns doc?

Reply #194476 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Sonics is up for the taking now.

Reply #194478 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

The NZNBL has alot of teams named after NBA Teams:
-North Harbour Heat
-Hawkes Bay Hawks
-Waikato Pistons

No NBA Teams had a problem with that. Personally, The Sydney Heat would be a good name.

Reply #194480 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Go back to the 80's and re introduce the Sydney Sonics (Sydney Supersonics)....
Probably alienate Razorback fans even more since it's the Kings heritage but hey it's Sydneys heritage....

Reply #194484 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Or go right back to the Sydney Astronauts.

Reply #194485 | Report this post

WOODY  
Years ago

ive been a razorback fan for 10 years why cant we just be the sydney razorbacks????

Reply #194490 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

"sydney queens? get the gay community behind the players. (befote anyone points it out, i'm aware that 'behind the players' has a double meaning)"

trust the doctor to come up with post of the year. your in mvp form my friend.

Reply #194491 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Skip - could be. Do you also remember that dispute? Maybe 6 or 7 years ago? I thought it was when the Suns were looking to change their name and wanted the Heat, but went for the Crocs after the NBA intervened.

Reply #194492 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

thedoctor

From wikipedia (so it must be true!)

It was a very different team that took the court in the 1998/99 season. The team had been involved in a dispute with the NBA's Phoenix Suns, who held the "Suns" trademark in Australia. Faced with the prospect of paying Phoenix royalties on merchandise sales, the team changed its name to the Townsville Crocodiles.

Reply #194495 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Thanks for that - that's a victory for the NBL. The NBA teams care enough about it to threaten a lawsuit, but couldn't give a rats about the NZNBL using NBA team names. Ha!

Reply #194497 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Gold Coast Blaze was going to be called the Heat, but decided against it due to the NBA complications as well.

Reply #194500 | Report this post

hoop fiend  
Years ago

I love the name Razorbacks, i like the idea that a sporting team is named after feral pigs.

Why cant they just change the name from West Sydney Razorbacks to Sydney Razorbacks?

Reply #194504 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Well since i think NBL will never truly work in that city, how about the Sydney Delusion ??

Reply #194509 | Report this post

dallas  
Years ago

Sydney swans? maybe... is there any reason why they can't be named after an AFL team?

Reply #194526 | Report this post

MILKY  
Years ago

Sydney Royals

Reply #194528 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

The Sydney Pontiffs

Reply #194529 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

The Sydney Kongs.......

Reply #194532 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sydney Swines?

Reply #194539 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

What about just....

'Syd-a-ney'

Reply #194544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Jets, Sydney Mountaineers, Sydney Settlers, Sydney Centurions, Sydney Centaurs, Sydney Scorpions, Sydney Colonists, Sydney All-Stars.

ok I'm done

Reply #194550 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If West Sydney are doing this as an amalgamation of West Sydney and the defunct Sydney Kings then a name reflective of the Sydney Kings would be good. That name could be Sydney Cheetahs (as in salary cap).

Reply #194559 | Report this post

Apollo86  
Years ago

I still like the Sydney Convicts. Have their badge of a guy with a basketball chained to his leg. Uniform could be white with arrows all over it !!!!
Seriously is there anything stopping the old Sydney Supersonics name being used? How the heck can NBA teams have rights to names when soccer uses united, juventus, city etc in the same way all the time???
Ironic if the AFL go for Celtics when soccer has tried to shed its ethnic origins - didn't Melbourne's Greek community want to field a team about 15-20 years back but the NBL blocked it?

Reply #194569 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

How about the Sydney Mighty Morphin Power Rangers?

When they're down by 1 with 10 seconds on the clock; they can all join together to make an oversized Steve Carfino... however the assembly takes 10 seconds.

Reply #194686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a combination of how Sydney used to be called Violet crumbles, and how they have dodgey sponsors and bosses at times and are unable to pay players. Or could be based on the number of imports that go through their system

Sydney Turnstiles
Sydney Crumbles
Sydney redlines

Reply #194692 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was going to mention making the Sydney name the 'Violet Crumbles' official. Then it occurred to me that they did in fact crumble and are no more! Probably not a good image for any team considering!

Why on earth would they choose Sydney Spirit! Plain Stupid considering the WNBL team from Bendigo.

Here's a summary list of what I would consider:

- Sydney Sonics (retro)
- Sydney Assassins (too violent???)
- Sydney Stars (simple)
- Sydney Stingers (relevent)
- Sydney Swingers (suits the city)
- Sydney City Slickers (alientates the country?)
- Sydney Sultans (has a Kings theme still)
- Sydney Samurai's (multicultural theme, albeit Japanese)
- Sydney Convicts (heritage)
- Sydney Centurions

Just some ideas...

Reply #194725 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

What about Sydney Pilgrams?

Reply #194727 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Sydney 'Pilgrims' (not for me)
Sydney Centaurs
Sydney Shockers
Sydney Rockers
Sydney Cyclones

Reply #194736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm I think they're all crap names...including the sydney Spirit,..but sooner or later we get used to crap names and just get on with supporting them,I guess they had to move quick on a name in order to organize uniforms and branding and all that stuff, In a few months we won't even think about the name...hopefully they'll be worth supporting.

Reply #194864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754