NPBHS
Years ago

Clippers Sign Kelenna Azubuike to Offer Sheet

The Clippers are having one of the biggest off-seasons ever. It's great to see that they are really trying hard to be a competitor next year.
Clippers would look like a really good team next year, if they were in the East, but obviously it's still going to be tough for them in the West.Their roster is solid though:

*Baron Davis
*Al Thornton
*Marcus Camby
*Chris Kaman
*Cuttino Mobley

plus if they can get Azubuike, they will have even more depth on their roster.
They are shaping up as a nice team. They also have some really good young players, who have potential(Nick Fazekas, Eric Gordon and Shaun Livingston)

Topic #16519 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Livingston may still have potential but he'll be plying his trade elsewhere. Was cut this off-season.

Reply #194566 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I would expect Grodon to start more games then Mobley this year.

Reply #194576 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Clips will be lottery bound again for sure. They will get 60-70 games max from Davis, Camby is too old plus he plays similar to Kaman and the have a rookie and a 2nd year at the 2 and 3 spots. IMO after Brand walked they should have left the Davis deal alone and saved the space for a run at Bosh in two years time. They could've let Gordon and Thornton keep developing whilst they tried to sign/draft a quality point in the meantime. IMO by the time they get a scoring big to replace Brand, Davis will be (even more) washed up.

Reply #194578 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

"IMO by the time they get a scoring big to replace Brand"

Oden08, they don't need to replace Elton Brand.
They already have a quality big in Chris Kaman. Brand averaged 17 and 8 last season, while Kaman averaged 15 and 12.
With the departure of Brand, it will only open things up for Kaman and Thornton and even Camby to go to work and do their thing.
Brand is miles overrated-Kaman can fill the hole that his Brand has left . No doubt about it.

Reply #194588 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

brand was coming off a torn achilles. last season should not even be looked at. look at the two seasons prior when brand ripped up phoenix and was having mvp type numbers

Reply #194594 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

Ok. I was not aware of his injury. Either way you look at it, you have to say that the Clippers have made so much improvement this off-season with the signings of key players.
You can't argue the fact that they will be a better team next year.

Reply #194595 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Brand is more like 25 and 12 when fully fit. Kaman isn't going to do that. I just worry that they have put 5 years into Baron but when they are actually ready to compete (3-5 years) he will be far from his prime and chewing up cap space.

Reply #194597 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

NPBHS - I disagree. So far they have signed Baron at PG. Definately a major improvement, especially considering the great PG's in the West.

But they have lost Brand and Maggette - over 40 points a game - and replaced with an ageing Camby and a role player from the Warriors.

I don't see the Clippers making any headway on their 05/06 and 06/07 records. I'm not taking last year into account because they really only had half a team.

Reply #194708 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Oden and doc. I don't think the Clippers have improved their roster this year. Their playoff chances will depend on how good Gordon will be in his first year, how much Thornton improves and how many games Baron actually plays.

Given that Brand didn't play most of last year the Clips are a chance to improve their W:L but I still doubt they will make the playoffs.

Reply #194712 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754