Big Ads
Years ago

Croatia, Germany & Greece qualify for Olympics

Now that we know the final Olympic mix we can get proper predictions happening.

Greece will be difficult to beat but I believe the Boomers match up well against Croatia and have a deeper team then Germany.

I think the Olympic matches could be classified as follows:

Most Likely to Medal:
USA, Spain, Greece, Argentina, Russia

Possible Chance:Australia, Lithuania, Croatia, Germany and China

Not much chance:Iran and Angola

Topic #16541 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Yep - check the linke for the finalised Olympic Draw: a href="http://linky.com.au/qi1i9" target="_blank">http://linky.com.au/qi1i9

Group A: Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Iran, Lithuania and Russia
Group B: Angola, China, Germany, Greece, Spain and USA

Both groups are tough...

Argentina, Russia and Lithuania are favoured in Group A, whilst USA, Spain and Greeks would be favoured in Group B.

Iran and Angola are the only two teams tyhat can be written off right now. I think Big Ads is on the opney with his likely predictions. Lithuania's form recently seems to have tapered off however, I still rate them highly.

Reply #194690 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I think if we can put away Lithuania finally, we should be able to make next round (being that we defeat Croatia and Iran as well). We probably have the most even group out of the 2, as there is no real team that can blow the others out the water at this point.

Reply #194709 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

The Cro's are experiencing something of a rennaisance so i'd be VERY careful writing that down as a W... They played very well to beat Germany in the Athens Tournanment and showed big coconuts to not fall apart when things started to not go their way (unlike some other Croatian teams in recent history) in the closing moments...

I'd say Argentina might start to show their age - and the fact that the rest of the world will have used them for a model to try to emulate...

To be honest though - i'd put all 4 major teams (ARG, LIT, CRO, and RUS) on a level pegging... They are all teams that are capable of winning it all (given luck and their own squads' ability)... It's a challenge for the Boomers but (lets not forget) we have gotten pretty good ourselves over the last 5-6 years (since the Indiana WCs debacle)...

Reply #194711 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Johnny Sack - what about Greece and Spain? You failed to mention them...I rate them more highly than the 4 Euro teams you highlighted.

Reply #194716 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think Johnny Sack is merely referring to the dangerous teams in our pool.

Actually, looking at all teams competing in both pools, it is difficult to rank the Boomers at better than 6-8 going into the tournament.

Reply #194724 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The Boomers have the talent to be competitive to stay with Russia, Argentina for at least a half or 3/4 quarters. I don't suspect we have the balance to go with either of those teams for a full match. I do believe the Boomers can stay with Lithuania and Croatia for the four quarters.

Based on what we have done recently, I suspect the Boomers will pinch a game against either Lithuania or Croatia. This will be largely due to the Boomers having a good shooting night from outside the arc.

If Boomers can put two good shooting performances together then they might surprise by finishing third in the Pool. I reinforce 'if' and 'might'.

Reply #194731 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

we should at least hav a chanz ta play de dreamz team .. now it is only a dreamz !!!

Reply #194739 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Playa - learn some English.
The Boomers play the USA in an exhibition in China immediately prior to the Olympics.

Reply #194740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754