Anonymous
Years ago

Basketballers now playing footy

Would be interested to know how many players in this team made the move from basketball to footy?

B: Nick Suban (Vic Country), Michael Hurley (Vic Metro), Clancee Pearce (Western Australia)
HB: Stephen Hill (Western Australia), Jordan Lisle (Vic Metro), Rhys O'Keefe (South Australia)
C: Mitch Robinson (Tasmania), Matthew DeBoer (Western Australia), David Zaharakis (Vic Metro)
HF: Hamish Hartlett (South Australia), Lewis Johnston (South Australia), Tom Scully (Vic Metro)
F: Tyrone Vickery (Vic Metro), Jack Watts (Vic Metro), Michael Walters (Western Australia)
Foll: Nicholas Naitanui (Western Australia), Jack Ziebell (Vic Country), Ranga Ediriwickrama (NSW/ACT)
I/C: Daniel Rich (Western Australia), Shaun McKernan (Vic Metro), Kade Klemke (NSW/ACT), Steele Sidebottom (Vic Country)

Topic #16557 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

nick naitanui used to play basketball, big dunker as youd expect

Reply #194831 | Report this post

bike rack  
Years ago

how many past ABL players are now playing footy and cashing in on the hight and ball skill factor.

Luke Walsh West Adelaide/Bridgewater
Jason Baylis South Adelade/????
Jason Williams Sturt/36ers/?????
Ben Lomman Norwood/Athlestone
Matt Illman Sturt/Goodwood Saints
Nathan Baggott Woodville/Port Districts
Paul Vandenbergh Cenrals/United Districts
Jordan Dodman Sturt/Nth Adelaide
Will Banton West Adelaide/?????

All of these guys are 6'4 and up, all rucking somewhere and cashing in on their first love.

any others out there, lets put these guys in a possible best 18, dam we have enough ruckman.

Reply #194832 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Jack Watts recieved a basketball scholarship to the AIS as well as his AFL one. Pretty highly rated, from what I hear, as a 194 cm guard.

Reply #194836 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Dean Brogan

Reply #194844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Fill Smythe!! I don't think any of us knew that Dean Brogan used to play bball!! Your a smart cookie

Reply #194846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you didnt read the thread

Would be interested to know how many players in this team made the move from basketball to footy?

Hhhmmmm

Reply #194847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

danyle pearce! Luke mcentee at hawks. Jace bode at melb. Wat about those currently playing footy too as well as bball? Does that count? Doesn't steve williams play footy?

Reply #194853 | Report this post

back to topic  
Years ago

To answer the original question - Lewis Johnston (CHF) played for Port Pirie in a few Junior Country Championships at 14's and 16's & also played a bit of SAC basketball (don't think he made nationals though). I'm not sure he even played district, could be wrong though.

Reply #194857 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

At the Aussie Iran game a few weeks back I commented to my mate if David Barlow said tomorrow that he wanted to switch to footy he would walk into an AFL team - 6'9', quick, strong, can jump, agile, skillful ... he laughed me off and said "out of all the stupid things you have ever said that is the stupidest".

Thing is I don't think it is that far fethced - thoughts?

Reply #194874 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That sounds pretty correct SVD but he might be a little skinny though? Also he might not have any kicking ability.

Reply #194878 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Surely anyone can be taught how to kick ... can't be that hard - I'm not one to talk though - I can't kick for sh*t.

Ruckman are usually between 6'4' and 6'7' (with a few taller getting to the 6'9' to 7'0') - at 6'9' he would be one of the tallest people in the AFL.

I don't think he is that skinny - he is wirey but pretty cut ... I think he would be strong.

Reply #194881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SVD - mate, i'd agree with you. Brogan was a similar build when he was a baller, but obviously has bulked on a bit now. Given Barlow's size and athletiscm, he'd be picked up on the spot, even if the club ran him as a development player through the VFL/SANFL etc first.

Reply #194882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robert Campbell (hawthorn ruckman) & brother of former South Adelade player Stew Campbell was a pretty good basketballer also.

Reply #194883 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Will Banton was playing for Port Magpies, now at Gaza.

Reply #194884 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Scott Pendlebury at Collingwood played with Sale Sonics and quit the AIS after 1 week to instead try his hand at footy.
Joel Macdonald at Brisbane is another. He played State Primary School basketball for VIC before leaving for QLD and ultimately an AFL career.
There are so many basketballers turned footballers playing AFL nowadays...

Reply #194896 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PS: Jack Watts is a gun point guard and with the lack of quality PG in this country, he could have ended up playing for Australia and the the Olympics down the track if he chose to stock with it and take up the AIS scholarship.

Reply #194897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Raph Clark played for NT at U/16 2000 Nationals

Reply #194902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shane Edwards at Richmond U16/1s at North Adelaide

Reply #194911 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

on de revers side:
shane heal iz de most well known aussie. And A.I use ta play football in College as a quartrback !!!

Reply #194921 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Tippett?

I think we are maybe underestimating the skill level and talent the top level football players have today. To say David Barlow would be picked up in an instant is not necessarily true I don't think. If you can't kick, handball, read the play, time your leap etc etc then you can't play footy (especially at a high level). I think you'll find most basketballers that become very good footballers have played some level of footy as a junior, if not all...

Reply #194967 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Agreed, to assume any basketballer would immediately fit into an AFL team is just playing absurd. The skill in todays football is twice what it was 3 years ago and 20 times what it was 10 years ago.

Btw, Jace Bode was always a footballer, even if he played a bit of bball on the side. Out of the previous basketballers id say pendlebury is the best footy player. He will be a gun midfielder for years to come.

Reply #194999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watts touted as a 1 or 2 in the next AFL draft. Would have made the U/19 Emus group just announced and had the best physical testing a few camps ago in pretty good company.

Won the Larke medal for the recent National football championships and obviously would have played in the Vic Metro team at Ballarat. A very good talent

Reply #195025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theres a lot more to come over next 6 months.....watch the SA kids now!! (Late ones in part. have really developed now).....Very skilful at footy and hardly any coaching............yet!!

Reply #195029 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Ivan Maric from the Cows played state basket ball in Victoria before his footy career

Reply #195036 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

those guys r wak. dont dey know ders more money in bball. look at Bogut earnin millions n millions $$$ !! guess is easer ta b a big fish in a small amrket den a small fish in a big market !!!

Reply #195044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But for every one Aussie being drafted into the NBA, there are how many being drafted into the AFL.

IMO choosing to play AFL is the safer option for a sportsman (assuming a player is torn between the two codes).

Reply #195049 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

If anyone was going to pick up on this, surely Bo would've

Ranga Ediriwickrama (NSW/ACT)

Reminds me of Nationals time a year (or two??) ago when Bo put together a listing of his favourite players based on names. From memory Jimbo McAulty (sp?) was his #no 1.

anyway...

Tom Scully (Vic Metro)
I think he was also a state rower...
Jack Watts (Vic Metro)
Mate reckon's he's an electric player...
Daniel Rich (Western Australia)
I heard his parents work in the mines...

Reply #195052 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

there is a much better living to be made in this country playing footy than basketball and most other sports... The AFL garentees this by saying that their clubs have to make a minimum of 4 delistings each year. That is an oppurtunity for 60+ kids each year to go into the AFL system. Still have to be talented enough mind you.

Reply #195064 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:08 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754