SID
Years ago

Refs that should take up knitting

When is some one going to take control of the reffs its a joke !!!! They are PAYED to do a JOB !!! but it does not look like some of them can. If they were my Staff a lot of them would be sent back to school if not sacked! Today we had the miss fortune to have the FAT Controler and A well i dont know what. Its bad enough that he let a coach GIVE him A serve not once but twice then suddenly he starts calling fouls mostly one way and the Junior REF calls only 5 fouls for the next 2 and a half QTRs. Funny but its a joke... Then if you say that his calls were bad he threatens to have you bared from all games SA wide and thats just asking nicely .YOU NO WHAT THEY ARE NOT GODS! and its about time these people who think they are come into the real world they are payed to do a job thats write a job so do it propley and you wont get asked all the time why are you so bad at your job. If you cant do it leave because we as parents and players pay a lot of money and should be getting somthing in return for this out lay!!! not the SUB STANDARD that is going on at this time.
THIS is my veiw and i only write this as mine but there is a lot of people out there with the same view and yer if i think i can do better why dont i. Well i have my job and this is there's thats why

(Mod: Title adjusted.)

Topic #16606 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

And people wonder why we are so short of refs in this state. Its tools like you that turn refs away from the sport and then you would be on here bitching because your game only had one ref. If you have a problem with the way the game is being called get the UIC for that stadium over and get them to do something about it.

Actually on that topic does anyone know why a UIC can't intervine until the game has finished?

Reply #195377 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Often I notice that the UIC cannot intervene until after the game, because they are busy finishing a cigarette or hotdog with a can of Coke.
At Morphett vale this morning I noticed the UIC giving advice to a young ref during the breaks. There should be more encouragement and direction given by all UIC.
Heaven help us if the fat controller ever became UIC.

Reply #195379 | Report this post

Spelling Nazi  
Years ago

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, but SID you talk about sending staff back to school, perhaps you should go back with them. Being very conservative, I found 13 spelling errors and 18 grammatical errors in your paragraph.

Im sure there are not many readers on this forum that have not come up against the umpire in question, I've worn a few tech fouls from him myself. Perhaps the new Umpire Co-ordinator at BSA can come up with a solution to this ongoing problem. I was actually told that the umpire in question does so many games for BSA that if he was to be 'let go' they would need at least another 3 umpires to cover the number of games he does. You should think that 'practice makes perfect' and if he is doing that many games, then his umpiring should be getting better, but it just seems to be consistantly 'substandard' (to quote my friend above). You can understand if an umpire is young and new, then you have to bite your tongue, but he's been around long enough now and he should be way better than he is (in my opinion)

Sorry about picking up your spelling mistakes SID and I do feel the same about this as you, and Im sure so does many others.

Reply #195385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I did not realise that "reffs" had two f's!!

Reply #195388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was this the under 18 div 3 game at wayville today between centrals and forestville?

Reply #195390 | Report this post

lets be honest there are a lot of bad ref's out there but somebody has to do it. I can accept mistakes when im playing and called for some stupid fouls, but its the ref's stuck up attitudes which piss me off. they act as if there not human, and if you speak up for a mistake they made your penalised. It is a job in which they are being payed for, and were paying to play. I dont appreciate a ref getting confused with his numbers callinga a foul, giving me my 3rd foul in the 1st half when i was nowhere near the ball. I then tell him he made a mistake he gives me a tech which is a 4th and the money I payed to play is wasted as I am on the bench the next 2 quarters. when i complain after the game im just told people make mistakes, when i make them at my place of employment if i acted like that id be fired. just because there ref's should they always be excused, and allowed to talk down and bully paying customers? its one of the reason basketball is falling down the sh*tter in this country.

Reply #195392 | Report this post

SID  
Years ago

the 2nd one is what peole called him with wit on the end

Reply #195393 | Report this post

SID  
Years ago

Maybe its because the ones we do have are so bad they dont want to be on the same court as they are. But again you get what you pay for and this is what we get. Maybe money should be spent on this and not on things that are not so important, We are paying punters and HAVE the Right to get more value for our Dollar. We dont come or play this game for anything else but to be treated fair and play the best that we can but when the refs are like they are how can you. This guy will cost some team a chance to play in the finals and you know what tool or not that just not playing the game!!!! He not the only one buy the way and sorry for the mistakes no spellcheck.

sorry nutter hit the wrong button posted on wrong site

Reply #195394 | Report this post

hellooo  
Years ago

Oi SID, why don't you start reffing mate?

Reply #195397 | Report this post

Me3  
Years ago

Gee take a breath and learn to spell
You need to learn to live with it

Reply #195407 | Report this post

SID  
Years ago

If you read all of what i wrote i have a job and do it well because i study and trained for it. Maybe if they did the same we would not be on here, but we have every right to say this because as i say they are PAID TO THAT JOB and if i was as bad as some of them at my job i would not have one and may then i might have to take it on but i dont have to.

Reply #195408 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

SID - Refereeing is not their job, in most instances it is their sport. Yes they receive money, however it is not really the same basis as pay.

If you want to employ referees you can complain as much as you want. However you are not prepared to pay $30 to play your game of baskeball hence you are unlikely to get the referees you think you demand.

Anyone can pick up a whistle and have a go. History shows not too many people are willing to referee every night/week, hence they pay them as an incentive to show up.

Reply #195417 | Report this post

gravity man  
Years ago

Maybe you can go to wayville on social nights and request that FAT referee to stand in middle of court and let two green shirters blow the whistle,sure he wont say NO to your request.We are losing lot of potential referees in this state due to barking they receive from the coaches week in and out.One day there be no experienced referees and parents will be forced to umpire District games.

Reply #195430 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

im surprised some of the refs haven't been knocked out at times to be honest, some of their attitudes are disgraceful, and if they acted like they do on court in the "real world" they would cop more than a mouthful
is the fat controller the one i know as humpty dumpty? if it is chumps like him give me the shits, hardly gets up the court and calls offense fouls on guys who are getting position in the post using their body
and why the hell are rookie refs who are only like 14 doing mens div 3 games by the way? they won't make them better, it will make them scared to leave the house after the shit they get when they mess up

Reply #195441 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

I completely agree there are sub standard refs out there and yes there probably should be better training involved but what I dont agree with is you comming on here and publicly naming (well you didn't actually name him but u gave a title that would let 99% of forum readers know who you mean) a ref. Thats the kind of stuff that turns people away from refing. If people are affraid of being publicly shamed for their actions they just won't do it. If theres no refs theres no game its as simple as that.

Reply #195458 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I think players need education when it comes to the rules of the game as well as refs. All players think they know the rules and most actually don't.

Classic comeback from a referee to a complaining player, he asked the very experienced player if he could tell him what colour the rule book was. Of course he couldn't. Most players have never seen, picked up or read a rule book.

There are some very crap referees out there, I don't deny that. However, clowns and idiots who play/coach drive the good ones away and only the bad ones with not many other options, remain.

Fact is, low standard games get low standard refs. As FM said, you want better refs, pay them more money.

Reply #195460 | Report this post

SID  
Years ago

Hey nutter

Maybe its because the ones we do have are so bad they dont want to be on the same court as they are. But again you get what you pay for and this is what we get. Maybe money should be spent on this and not on things that are not so important, We are paying punters and HAVE the Right to get more value for our Dollar. We dont come or play this game for anything else but to be treated fair and play the best that we can but when the refs are like they are how can you. This guy will cost some team a chance to play in the finals and you know what tool or not that just not playing the game!!!! He not the only one buy the way and sorry for the mistakes no spellcheck.

Reply #195464 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

As a coach I think the umpiring is on par with some of the stuff that my players produce most Friday nights. Some is pretty good and some of it is pretty ordinary.

Yes Sport is emotional but I'm actually getting sick and tired of the perfect parent syndrome, from people that have never played but because their child is playing u/10's they think they know it all. There are some parents out there that need a smack in the mouth from some ref's. Personally I think clubs should take more responsibility because you are never going to be able to change the standard of umpiring but you can change the crap that happens from the bench and parents.

Ref's pee me of at times as much as the next person, why because they're human. The next time you play the perfect game, you have reason to complain about the ref's.

But to all the ref's out there that get a whistle in their hand and think their king dick, grow a brain and learn to communicate with coach's and players and realise you can have some banter out there we're not robots

Reply #195473 | Report this post

Years ago

dome game was it ?

Reply #195524 | Report this post

Afroman  
Years ago

I like the expression "you pay peanuts, and you get monkeys".
I am in no way indicating that the current group of umpires are monkeys, but I do believe that they are underpaid for what they do.
Umpiring is very difficult, and as there are only 2 umpires, who are not always in a position to see what goes on, usually call to their best ability.
Spectators must take into account where the umpire are, and realise that they cannot see everything.

Football umpires are paid a lot more than basketball umpires. They have training once, sometimes twice a week, and are mentored at all times.

Basketball umpires need to be paid considerably more, and also need much more mentoring and feedback as to how they are progressing, and where they can improve.

Without these umpires, there will be no game.

Reply #195527 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

when everyone is perfect - then you can complain - refs like players have development needs and may only be able to attain a cartain level of understanding.

ie - not everyone will be elite !

are all supporters perfect?

are all coaches perfect?

are div 5 playesr going to play ABL?

why not be more rational about it all - if these guys did not ref - you would not have a game!

I appreciate your frustration - but you need to understand it is the refs domain to make the calls.

just like you have the right to get on the forum

Reply #195528 | Report this post

basketball mum  
Years ago

Through all this ref bashing I must say the Thursday night ref's at wayville have been good this season. I'm not saying they haven't had their bad games because they have and a couple of our games have been bad ones but on the whole they have been consistent. And I have found them to be honest when questioned either admitting they weren't in the right spot to see a small foul / violation or when questioned about something giving good and clear reason's.
As for ref's attitude's just think how you would feel after a long day of school or uni or work and then having to umpire up to 4 games without breaks. I don't think it would be easy and sometimes I find myself feeling sorry for them especially in the last time slot as coach's are yelling at them and they are trying their hardest to keep up with a game after running for basically 3 hrs. How would your attitude be after that much running and the whole time being yelled at and sometimes harassed by coach's? Not good I think.
Kudos to all ref's but especially to Wayville's on Thursday nights as each time I go their I know the game won't be decided by ref's calls, fair and consistent. Well done.

Reply #195535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can live with poor quality refereing (although I don't like it), but a consistent bias of a referee towards one team or against one player puts me off.

From experience, there are about seven refs with a consistent bias, either for or against home teams or against certain clubs or players.

I suggest each referee do some soul searching and to see if he/she is a foul whistler.

Reply #195539 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how bout this... if a ref is good and gets praise from everyone, up his pay... if they are like humpty dumpty then pay them less... make them put in the work to get better pay, why should they be rewarded for doing a shit job

Reply #195541 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Why stop at refs Ricey? Revamp the whole Australian workplace agreements, get paid daily on how you perform. If everyone in office praises you, get pay rise, do a shit job, pay cut.

So you finished a game, you won, happy with the refs, manager of stadium says "Oh, by the way ref was good that game, you all owe an extra $5"

And no ref gets praises from everyone.

On the whole, I enjoyed umpiring basketball, I got along with almost every coach and player I worked with and made some good pocket money whilst I was a student. The clowns and idiots who knew nothing about the game or rules and complained about small things, minor things or even wrong things ruined it and made me want to quit.

Reply #195552 | Report this post

For every bad ref, theres 10 bad players. im terrible at yelling at refs, but you have to remember that players make mistakes too. Ive missed a layup in my life, which is probably the same as an umpire missing an obvious foul.

And if you dont like the quality of the umpires, you should like, get some skill, so you can play in better leagues, so you get the better quality umpiring.

Reply #195555 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

well there should be some sort reward system for refs who do a good job, because the ones who do a good job don't seem to get much than a pat on the back while the ones who do crap jobs make the rest look like retards

Reply #195562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wayville refs FTW

Reply #195563 | Report this post

Enough Already!  
Years ago

How about instead of most of you carrying on, you call Tony Dey on 84446416 and organise to do a course! Then go out on court and ref! There are not enough ref's, especially on a Friday night. Hence Basketball SA have to make do, be it if the ref's are good or bad!
Be pro active not reactive.......
Alot of these kids are just that...kids..
Give them a break...they try hard.
And due to the lack of ref's, some of them ref up to 10 games or more a week, regardless of school, work, or Uni.
So to all those knockers of ref's...that number again...84446416.....
See you on court:)

Reply #195577 | Report this post

Just for those that of you who are concerned about poor spelling standards on Hoops, Spelling Nazi(#195385 or 4th from the top)spelt the word consistently wrong.

Reply #195590 | Report this post

It would be interesting to score refs mistakes against player turnovers in each game.

Having said that, participation numbers in basketball have decreased on a social level. I don't know why, but I know I enjoyed the couple of indoor cricket seasons I played with the reduced interaction of the umpire - on a dodgy call at least you knew the umpire had made "poor position", being in a chair front on in a run-out situation...

BTW, I made a mistake in my last post - can you spot it?

Reply #195592 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pickle - Skitt's Law.

Reply #195598 | Report this post

Gold Isaac! I'll be using that.

Reply #195608 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754