LC
Years ago

FIBA Diamond Ball Tourney Results (Men)

The FIBA Diamond Ball tourney is now underway in Nanjing, China, and is the last official FIBA event prior to the Olympics.

The men's side contains a field including:
- Angola
- Argentina
- Australia
- China
- Iran
- Serbia (only team not playing at Olympics)

Day 1 Results
ARG vs IRI 81-71
CHN vs ANG 83-74
Argentina struggled to get rid of the cobwebs against a vastly improved Iranian team. Playing at the NBA Summerleague must have done some good for the Iranians. Luis Scola scored 23 points and Carlos Delfino had 18, whilst Ginobili had 15 of his own. Recap: http://linky.com.au/tvi9f
China struggled to get past Angola (a game I watched on the net). Angola played ane exciting and athletic brand of basketball, and are always looking to take it to the hoop.
Yao had 21 points, and team mate Wei chimed in with 18. Cipriano poured in a game-high 24 points, and Gomes had 17 for the Angolans. Recap: http://linky.com.au/7ojkk

Day 2 Schedule
AUS vs CHN 16:00
IRI vs SRB 19:00
Based on what I saw of the China vs Angola game, the Aussies should have the Chinese covered. Only a vocal home crowd coupled with some poor Australian shooting could help them get over the line IMO. Serbia and Iran game could be a good one to watch, with Serbia not playing in Beijing, they wil be lopoking for some scalps.

You should be able to watch the games live through selecting a channel on this link: http://linky.com.au/7rxoc

Topic #16642 | Report this topic

Boomers2008  
Years ago

I think the Boomers can beat China tonight. By all accounts Yao is underdone and they rely heavily on him.

Interesting to see how close Iran got to Argentina. I guess they are just getting warmed up.

Serbia recently beast Russia by 1 point in another warm-up tournament. Serbia will be no pushovers and were one of the unlucky Euro teams to miss out on Beijing (including France, Italy etc). There are many quality teams in Europe that are better than some of the other teams from other FIBA regions that will be taking part in Beijing. But that's how it works I guess.

Reply #195767 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Official tourny website:
http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/

im guessing foxtel isnt covering it =[. I believe its going to be close and the aussies can get up!.

Reply #195797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

China without Yao were decent (good, quick defenders) but needed some very biased calls to beat an Australian C team. They have the two bigs, but after that, Wang is really slowing down these days. The Boomers should have no trouble with them.

Reply #195804 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I watched a bit of Iran v Arg and the Iranians have definitely improved since they toured Oz.

However the Argies have some problems. They are actually quite a small team with Gonzalez at 211cm and Oberto at 208cm their biggest guys (and Gonzalez didn't play much).

The Iranians were really able to exploit this, and with Ehadadi dominating, they were able to score quite easily inside and killed the Argies on the boards. If it wasn't for the fact that the Iranian guards are so TO prone, I reckon the Argies would have lost!

If the Boomers get to play Argentina, I really think they can beat them. The key is for our guards to take care of the ball and to try and force the Argies into a half court game. If we do that, I think our size advantage will give us an advantage at both ends.

Looking forward to see how the Aussies handle China tonight. We need to beat them convincingly to show we are headed in the right direction.

Reply #195830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754