Isaac
Years ago

NBA ref Donaghy gets 15 months behind bars

Former NBA referee Tim Donaghy was jailed for 15 months today for taking payoffs from a professional gambler for inside tips on games.
Donaghy, 41, an NBA official for 13 seasons, pleaded guilty in a Brooklyn court in August to conspiracy to defraud the NBA and to transmitting gambling information across state lines in a scandal that sparked league reforms.

"I'm very sorry ... I brought shame on myself, my family, and to the profession that I love," he told the court.

Topic #16644 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Wow that is really setting a precedent! That penalty seems very rough considering he pleaded guilty. Also seems a bit rough considering some rapes, vicious assaults etc get suspended sentences here in Australia.

Reply #195793 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Could have been 33 months, got off with half a sentence.

Reply #195794 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, good point. That said, white collar crimes are often treated too softly too.

Reply #195806 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Might not be so bad. For cheating in professional sports, he can start an inmate basketball game to take on the guards in the ultimate grudge match and then make it into a movie called "The Whole 94 Feet"

Reply #195831 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

True Isaac, CEO's and any other employees should be held more accountable for any fraudulent activities with jail time. I think we can all agree that most convictions in this country let the criminal get away with just a slap on the wrist.

Reply #195849 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

considering that he told stuff about NBA screwing around in the past and nothing being done about that at all, i think that should be the bigger worry here

Reply #195888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:29 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754