Ball Boy
Years ago

2009 U18 Nationals in SA

Does anyone know which stadium that this event is on at.. in April next year..

Topic #16650 | Report this topic

Gawler.

Nice stadium. Pity a vast majority of people live nowhere near it.

Reply #195877 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

Right .. that is a long way out of the City..

Reply #195879 | Report this post

pretty sure  
Years ago

i think we could assume it will be at wayville.

Reply #195883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro the early favorite in the boys...

Reply #195884 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

Nah NSW are specials

Reply #195886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic country

Reply #195889 | Report this post

pretty sure,

It was announced at Ballarat that it was Gawler....

Reply #195897 | Report this post

new name please  
Years ago

Na. It is at Wayville as shown on BA's Calender of Events

Reply #195904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like Paul would allow Forestville to miss out on making a dollar.

Reply #195906 | Report this post

The Wolf  
Years ago

BSA Commission gave it to Gawler!

Reply #195907 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Starplex is a much more superior stadium than Wayville. Four super courts, good car parking, good canteen facilties. Why would you not play it at the best stadium?

It's 36 Km from the CBD - in Melbourne or Sydney it would be an inner suburb - grow some spine you whingers!

Reply #195917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed the best stadium.

Reply #195925 | Report this post

oldsicpuppy  
Years ago

Starplex has it coz BA sez Nationals have to be in a 4 court stadium. Means no metro stadium will ever have one.

Reply #195938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats funny ballarat only two courts in one stadium and one in another stadium

Reply #195954 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

actually #195954 Ballarat has four courts at their main stadium just that in tournament mode it doesn't look like that.

The nationals require three courts, none of which can be beside another - so you are meant to have a court in between or a barrier in between. Does Gawler or Wayville meet that?

Reply #195982 | Report this post

Ha long Phat  
Years ago

(#195883) You presume wrong. G A W L E R.

Reply #195988 | Report this post

Why would you not play it at the best stadium?

To maximise attendance, and make more money on gate receipts. I know I'd go everyday if it was at Wayville or the Dome (or even Pasadena if they're allowed them). I'd maybe go once if it was at Morphett Vale, same for Gawler.

The nationals require three courts, none of which can be beside another

This rule (if it actually is a rule) is broken all the time. Last year's 16s at Gosford had two courts slap bang next to each other. At Wayville for 18s two years ago, they only used two courts.

Reply #195998 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Starplex is about half an hour from the CBD! The trip is worth it to see great basketball.

However, if you were born in North Adelaide, grew up in a little house with a picket fence, went to the local kindy, local primary, local high school and now live in the same suburb as you your brought up in and are married to the girl you met when your mums were in ante-natel classes together, I can understand that your view on life doesn't extend more that the local IGA store.

Unfortunately, Adelaidians are spoilt rotton when it comes to travelling.

Reply #196005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack I assume you live near Starplex or play for Centrals?

Reply #196006 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Live further afield in country and have lived outside of the state so appreciate how good Adelaide is.

Reply #196009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the Nationals seem destined for Gawler is this really going to have much effect?

I know people who say they plan to go and have a look at these events but they never seem to follow through.

I doubt the majority of the basketball community would have much interest in seeing games unless SA were playing in a Grand Final.

It's a pretty sad thing as I've been to some big National Championships interstate, but I don't think a Championship in Adelaide would get a many spectators no matter where it was played.

Reply #196013 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

From the point of view of visitors to SA ..
I have been to GAWLER stadium a few ago for another event and stayed Downtown which required a bloody long trip 1 hour everyday..
Surely there are Courts in Adelaide area that meet the requirements to hold an event like Nationals.
At least in Ballarat there was a town ( small city ) to stay with things other basketball to do..
No offence GAWLERIANS

Reply #196022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Surely there are Courts in Adelaide area that meet the requirements to hold an event like Nationals."

That's the point.

There isn't a single Basketball venue in South Australia which is suitable for a National Junior Basketball Championships.

Reply #196026 | Report this post

Unfortunately, Adelaidians are spoilt rotton when it comes to travelling.

Jack, you are right. Hence why it should be closer to the CBD - whether that be Wayville, the Dome or even Pasadena (if they could fit everyone in somehow). We won't go. Many basketball people WOULD go everyday - I thought the crowds two years ago at Wayville were very good.

The Wayville courts as utilised two years ago are no worse than StarPlex.
And if StarPlex use the same setup as for 14s two years ago - they don't have a big enough capacity for the people that DO travel there for the final.

The Wayville setup two years ago was fantastic. The only problem being Forestville got the money!!!

Having said that, I can see why Gawler got it - the facilities out there are top notch and the theatre thingy is a massive bonus for ceremonies (if they use it). And if it's hosted by the "three-headed monster" (I assume North and Woodville will co-host with Centrals again), there should be enough volunteers (never an easy thing to get enough of these).

Reply #196028 | Report this post

Sir Lancelot  
Years ago

"could it be further away"...Gawler are planning already to have more and better seating than the U14's from 2005, so that should fix that problem...and yes the three headed monster are co-hosting...on the back of the U14 girls nationals in October...and agreed in relation to volunteers, that was one of the reasons we joined forces in 2005.
Gawler is the location that can hold it all without using two stadiums, and the theatre for opening and closing ceremony plus the big breakfast for the announcements of the jnr players of the year etc is an excellent venue...

Reply #196088 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

Sir Lancelot, were do suggest interstate people stay..
There is no where in Gawler, so you are stuck with 1 hour each way to be able stay anywhere with life

Reply #196090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is plenty of places to stay in or near Gawler, Heaps of places to stay in Barossa!!!
For interstate people if your coming to watch the basketball surely you are spending the majority of the week at the stadium so why would you need to be near the city??

No matter where the nationals were people would find reason to complain!

If you think heaps more people would come if it were held in the city get behind the events in the city and come to the FIBA qualifiers this weekend and pack out Wayville maybe then the heads of basketball will see that there is a need for a better city stadium!

if we cant pack that out whats the point?!?!?!

Reply #196124 | Report this post

Ha Long Fat  
Years ago

(#196090)Ballboy, are you suggesting that in order to host a nationals there needs to be ample accomodation next door to the venue?

Tell that to the droves of parents that have just come back from the u16 nats in Perth.

Some booked accomodation as far away as Freo and Perth city and hired cars for the week.

If interstate folk are coming over for a major comp and expect to have a hotel next door to the venue then I they are kidding themselves.

I am sure the visitors wont have a problem with the location; its only the locals that cant seem to lift their eyes past Gepps Cross.

Reply #196136 | Report this post

Sir Lancelot,

Glad to hear that the seating shall be improved at Gawler.

Disagree that it is the only stadium that can be used though. Wayville showed two years ago that using two-courts could be done. The Dome I believe has done it in the past (I've heard, haven't been to them so not positive).

And whilst the theatre is an excellent selling point, I can't believe BSA would put that above locale and the revenue from more spectators. Actually, yes I can....

Having said that, good luck to the three-headed-monster, let's hope its a great Nationals.

Reply #196158 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

HA LONG
No not expecting hotel next door.. and yes that is right coming to SA for Basket ball approx 4hours ago at stadium is plenty for me and the rest of the time it is good to be were there is some action.. last time that i was in gawler there was not a lot of action unless i missed it.. no i dont mean out on the town just life in general.. i am city boy,,
Anyhow no big deal we will just drive the hour each day...
So long Ha long

Reply #196165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe there were issues with Wayville and the fact they only used two courts. Games had to start earlier and finish later than everyone involved wanted them to.

Also the Under 18 Nationals is bigger now then it was when last in Adelaide.

The Dome has hosted an Under 18 Nationals in the past but only out of necessity and wouldn't work under the current arrangement. Also Morphett Vale from memory has hosted an Under 14 Nationals in the past too and I don't think anyone would want a Nationals held there any time soon.

I would think that running two courts at Wayville and one at the Dome or Pasadena could work and would be no different to how the event was run this year in Ballarat.

Either way BSA has put forward Starplex as the venue so as long as it has the support of BA then it will be at Starplex.

Reply #196190 | Report this post

I believe there were issues with Wayville and the fact they only used two courts. Games had to start earlier and finish later than everyone involved wanted them to

Yup, good point. This could have been an issue meaning it's been decided that two courts won't ever be used again.

Also the Under 18 Nationals is bigger now then it was when last in Adelaide.

Pfft. It was two years ago, not twenty, and it was big then.

I would think that running two courts at Wayville and one at the Dome or Pasadena could work and would be no different to how the event was run this year in Ballarat.

Agreed. Interesting, I wonder if the City South partners thought about combining for a bid and using court 1 at Pasadena as the 3rd court? Would undoubtably count against it v Gawler though - jeez I hope that doesn't mean all our Nationals will be out there now!!

Reply #196210 | Report this post

Ball Boy  
Years ago

SA People ... push BSA to consider the travel time wasted by everyone .. Ballarat worked fine and that was in effect 2 courts at Minerdome in use and 1 used for warm down etc and the other court was at a stadium not too far away.. No Problems..

Reply #196216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gawler is actually a place people visit and located near Barossa Valley as mentioned above. Hard to imagine it could be any worse than what was on offer to U16 Nats this year so give it a go. I was surprised to see Kalamunda WA and thought this must be a typo since I lived there not so long ago and still have family there. I was even more surprised to learn they were held not in Kalamunda but Lesmurdie in the same street I used to live! No accommodation save the local pub locally with some crappy motels available within a 30 min or so driving distance.

Reply #196413 | Report this post

Parent  
Years ago

I'm only commenting from a visitors perspective. The courts are one thing but accommodation is a must! I was originally thinking of making it a family holiday, drive or fly across, and between games take the younger kids sightseeing in between games. I don't want to spend the week going round wineries with a 12 yo and I certainly don't want to spend 12 hours per day for a week watching basketball with fed up youngster. Somewhere closer to the city would have been much better (like Albert Park in Melbourne is), even if you had to use separate venues for the pools rounds. Certainly would have given SA more tourist dollars.

Reply #225759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When it's in Perth its too far to travel to games, when it's in Canberra its too far to travel to games and when it's in Ballarat most would rather be dead - so all in all, Gawler is just another brick in the wall but Oh so cool and the coffees great.
And parent 759, what a crock of the proverbial! Travelling anywhere in Melbourne at any time to anywhere is the pits so get over yourself or don't come.

Reply #225841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754