justin
Years ago

Hodge unlikely

Paul Bauer was just on channel 10 confirming that Hodge is very unlikely to suit up again and they will have a final answer within a couple of days. He also said that they have two replacements ready, that are both exciting and athletic players in Hodges mould.

Topic #16656 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah channel 9 said that it was extremely unlikely that he'd return and that the sixers are looking to sign an import AND a young Aussie in his place.

Reply #195939 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

young aussie?

Bring back Darren Ng

Reply #195957 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

Come on down Aaron Bruce!

Reply #195958 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Done deal

Reply #195959 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea so the young Aussie is Aaron Bruce?? if so that would be awesome, he has boomers experience and had a good college career cant remember the last time we signed a young guy of his callibre back from college!
Pity we missed out on Hodge,he was the best and my favourite import to come to Australia in years, but hopefully we get another star import and Bruce, i think thats the best we could of hoped for other than Hodge returning!
So our team will be

C Schenscher/Cooper
PF Ballinger
SF Holmes/Hill/Winitana
SG IMPORT/Maher
PG Bruce/Davidson/Kersten

That looks good to me!!
Would people start Bruce at the PG??
Btw whats Hodge rumoured to be doing??? NBA?? or Tigers?? or Europe??
I personally hate the idea of him playing against us cos hes that damm good but i guess if he plays for the Tigers atleast ill get to see him play again which i prob wouldnt if he was in Europe.

Reply #195960 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

I think you will find once Bruce is signed they will need to go for an Import 3/4 man. The back court would be covered and it would be insurance if Schensher or Cooper break down.
Plus this would push Winatana to training bait which looks good to me.

Reply #195962 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd be wrapped with Bruce coming. But how the hell did we manage it? Did his asking price fall, or are we ponying up big?

Reply #195964 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Leon Trimmingham?

Reply #195965 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

twenty four - maybe didn't get his asking price interstate?

Reply #195967 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

With 3 teams folding there's suddenly a flux of Aussie talent looking for a gig, I'm guessing the simple economic laws of supply and demand may have made him more affordable? Hopefully this goes through, he would be an excellent signing IMO.

Reply #195977 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hodge still possible for Tigers - article today in the paper: http://linky.com.au/7xo7w

Reply #195980 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

so the question is, if Hodge ends up playing for the Tigers, will he get booed or cheered at Sixers home games? I'm guessing it would be a bit of both.

Reply #195985 | Report this post

Get Over It!  
Years ago

With a bit of luck this will then be the last "Hodge still a chance" thread.

Reply #195987 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Im gonna say with confidence, in Adelaide Hodge would get Booed! if he were to play for the tigers against us, no doubt, and I would be pissed if it was any different.

Reply #195994 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

So, Aaron Bruce would be a 3 point player. Leaving us with 7 points.

If we do sign another import, the only person that would put pressure on is really Winitana as he has 4 points.

Both Hill (2) & Kersten (1) would have to be out to make room for the Import.

Reply #195996 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

I wouldn't boo Hodge...he came to us halfway through a season and gave us %100...although I wouldn't cheer him either because I don't want him dropping 30/10/10 on us =D

Reply #196000 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

A quick re add up of the points. We actualy still have 12 points up our sleave if we sign Bruce. My error.

Reply #196010 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Anybody actually surprised by this? Despite what 36ers management said, I never thought he was a chance to actually play for us again. Only chance he would come back to the NBL was if he was getting paid mega-bucks, which would probably only be with Tigers.
Oh well, I wonder who our other options are??

Reply #196012 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

So this has to be one of the best line ups we have put together for some time.

Luke / Coop
Balls/ Diddy / Paora / Hill
Bruce / Import/ Maher / Davidson / Kersten

You would think the import has some fringe NBA experience and hope it is not a rehashed seen them before person.

Import combo guard that can go 2/3 and guard the 4 would be on the cards and this team is as good as it could get.

A good question is what happens when Ballinger naturalises.

Reply #196015 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Schenshner / Cooper
Ballinger / Holmes / Cooper
Holmes / Import / Hill
Import / Maher / Winitana
Bruce / Davidson / Kersten

Anything less than Top 4 would be disappointing with this team IMO.

Reply #196017 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

I agree Skip...

Assuming a decent import, not only do we have a very good starting 5 but we have a fair bit of firepower off the bench.

Reply #196035 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

So is Bruce really a done deal? That would be amazing for the 6ers, beeen a long time since they've recuited a young, up-and-coming talent like him.

Would bode well for the future as well with Brett to retire after this season and Davo within the next couple.

As for Hodgey, I wish him all the best for his career (provided of course that doesn't see him suit up in a tigers jersey!)

Reply #196056 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

would love to here bit more on this bruce signing thats a great score for 36ers

Reply #196065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel 10 Reported on contract negotiations with Aaron Bruce, Paora was also on the news with Paul Bauer, and both wearing the nifty new 36ers shirts which look exactly the same as the Adelaide Crows ones just with sponsors logos on them.

Reply #196084 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Cat 15 why do you think it stands to reason that he would go to the Tigers because they are the only ones who can pay mega bucks? I would hate to think that the NBL head honchos would be completely blind to the salary cap. You can overlook a slight abuse of the salary cap, but the level the Tigers would have to go over to get Hodge while they already have a stacked team would be obscene and should stand out like a sore thumb. I don't care how they show it in their books, its just blatantly obvious that all these players would not be playing for the amount that the Tigers declare to the NBL.

Skin, I agree with you that he would be booed here in Adelaide if he took a contract with another club. He wasn't with us long enough for anyone to get too affectionate with him and this nonsense he has been putting Adelaide through in the last 4 months has been nothing but frustrating. If he was the real deal, he would have indicated that. Adelaide have been the puppets and he has pulled all the strings.

Reply #196110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont really think its nonsense that he put us through, if anything the opposite. he was pretty straight up and said he want to make the NBA and we all knew that was going to take a while to play out. the only bit he seems to ave waivered on is playing for us if not the NBA and i think most people assumed if he got more $$$ he would move on.

Reply #196173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FWIW, the suggestion on OzHoops from an insider involved with another club is that Hodge's offer from the Tigers is US$20k net per month. Make of that what you will.

Reply #196181 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From hoopshype

Julius Hodge's agent Cervando Tejeda e-mailed HoopsHype.com to shoot down a report on the Melbourne Herald-Sun that had Hodge going to the Tigers of the Australian League.

"Neither Julius nor me have given any verbal commitment to the Melbourne Tigers organization," Tejeda said. "Right now Julius' focus is getting an invite to an NBA veterans camp and making the NBA."

http://linky.com.au/woh5c

Reply #196185 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Hodge confirms he hasn't agreed to anything in Oz, still trying to get signed to an NBA team via a training camp invite:

http://linky.com.au/s2wy6

Reply #196186 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Same old BS from Seamus
The sooner that guy has a heart attack the better

Reply #196194 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

EC - not sure what crap Hodge has put the Sixers thru? He has been upfront about his NBA ambitions and continues to be. It's nothing to do with him if the Sixers still want to pursue him, and he can't stop the Tigers offering him a deal.

What else could he have done, or how else should have he bahaved in his dealings with the Sixers?

It's a Sixers management issue as to whether they cut and run when they found out he was focussing on the NBA, or keep pursuing him on the chance he doesn't make it.

IMO the Sixers have played it correctly - keep him interested in case he doesn't get the NBA gig (he was that good when he was here that you have to), and work on plans B,C and D in case he does get the gig. Apparently the Sixers have done that too. What's the problem?

Reply #196198 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

IMO The Sixers have operated with a great deal of integrity.

Reply #196203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754