Quagmire
Years ago

The mind of Bill Russell

Great article in true hoop about the different psych techniques used by Russell and his celtics during their amazing run of championships.

Makes for a real good read...

http://myespn.go.com/nba/truehoop

Scroll down to find the Russell article...

Topic #16660 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

I like what Yao Ming is quoted as saying about Artest coming to the Rockets on the same web page! Not normally how you welcome a new player, but maybe not a bad idea to lay down the law when its Ron Artest!

The Houston Chronicle's Fran Blinebury is in China with Yao Ming, and has the following Ron Artest reaction, laced with trepidation, from Yao:

"For some reason, I like (Artest)," Yao said. "Because in the games we play against him, I hate him.

"When I text messaged with Luis (Scola), we talked about team chemistry. That's only what worries us.

"We worry about the new attitude to the team. We are adding talent to the team and we need that, but building team chemistry is important. This is not bad. I don't mean he is not welcome to Houston. But a new player always needs some time.

"Also, he was the biggest part of a team in Sacramento. He was a star player. We need more chemistry and more communication.

"There's worry. Obviously, yes. We will think about it, of course. Hopefully, he's not fighting anymore and going after a guy in the stands.

"I haven't talked to Ron yet, so it's hard to say. I have to find a way to talk to him and see what we can do as a basketball team. He has a history. But we know he is a physical player. He is a good player. He really can help us. And Ron is on a contract year, too.

"I think Ron Artest is a good player if coach (Rick) Adelman can control the team well."

Reply #196014 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the link to the Russell article too Quagmire. I'm gonna remember that Ramsey trick when I play ball tonight! (Trying to guard someone I have no hope of guarding happens to me often... might as well get some cheap points at the other end LOL)

Being a denizen of the Boston.com message boards, I have read many amazing stories about the way Russell played the game. He really was unusally smart as well as athletic.

I have been looking for a particular story I read ages ago about how Russell would make good players second guess themselves all the time, but I couldn't find it. So instead, have a read of this post by one of Boston.com's most knowledgeable posters:

Russell Rule Number 1: Commitment Begins with Curiosity

When hesitancy is looking back at you in the mirror, you don't have true commitment. Commitment separates those who live their dreams from those who live their lives regretting the opportunities they have quandered. What separates the two types of people? Curiosity.

Some Russell rules on curiosity:

1. Good questions are more important than easy answers. Millions saw apples fall from trees, but it was Newton who asked why.

2. Curiosity is a process. Life is a journey, not a destination. Create a driving force in your life, understand that force, and always challenge it
through self-evaluation and questioning. When your curiosity asks you to take risks, take them.

3. Curiosity should be a verb, not a noun. Curiosity is connected to doing, to solving, experimenting, trying, failing, and then accomplishing.

Russ says the game was static when he took it up at age 9. For instance, no one was supposed to jump except for a rebound. After Russ graduated from high school, he joined a high school all-star team on
which the coach pretty much let the players do what they wanted. He, in effect, "gave me the green light to explore the game that so fascinated me." Among other things, Russ began experimenting with jumping under various circumstances, and that led to his blocking prowess.

Russ gives an almost clinical explanation of teamwork. "What I found with the Celtics was a set of other players who were brilliant and accomplished.
I had to learn about their thinking, their temperaments. For me to play my best game, I had to discover theirs."

Some great insights there I think. If anyone wants to read more of Russell's Rules, just read the entire thread I took that from...

linky.com.au/qnwvx

Reply #196027 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

de mind is a terribl thing ta waste !!!

Reply #196522 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754