Bigcountryaus
Years ago

The NBL have been dying a slow death

I believe that the NBL started to die, when;

1. the so called experts, decided to switch the season to summer.

Very bad move. I can remember back in the early 90's, my mates getting together on a cold night to watch the NBL. Who stays at home during summer to watch basketball, as the majority of people are out at parties, BBQ's or out with mates.

2. Continue to give free to air rights to a station that hardly airs the sport.

I remember when channel 7, 10 and the ABC aired the NBL. Channel 7 and ABC aired games, late at night. Remember when ABC, aired the NCAA, NHL and NFL? Channel 10 tried to show games during prime tv time but moved their coverage to late night.

For Australian Basketball to grow, they need to offer the sport to another TV station, even if they make less money from TV rights, we need the sport available on free tv. Young kids and teens need to have visual access to the sport or this sport will certainly die.

Note this;

-during the early 90's, American college teams toured around the country. I remember watching a college team playing my local state team.

- during the 92 Olympics, the NBL had teams tour regional areas, playing promotional games. Why are they not during that now?

Topic #16669 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Bigcounrtyaus - Cant speak for the other teams but the 36ers are playing several preseason games in regional towns.

Reply #196087 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

bigcountryaus

the NBL moved to summer because it was in decline....already....in trouble....poor crowds...bad TV ratings etc. Hindsight does not work in this debate, you actually needed to know the facts as they were occurring.

no one wants the NBL on FTA. Channel seven dumped it, channel ten dumped it....the NBL PAID ABC to show it, and then did a deal for nine to show it the last two seasons in a contra paid deal.....

they could offer it to anyone for nothing and it still would not be shown....

Reply #196111 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As usual, you're one of the most reasonable posters on here HO - agree with your points.

The league should try forgetting the notion of a nation-wide FTA deal and let clubs try for something local themselves. Wollongong, Perth and the FNQ clubs might have a chance?

Reply #196115 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Would be good to see even one of the local stations do some sort of highlights show, part of game replay. Channel 31 or someone like that.

Reply #196123 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Isaac, the league has explored local TV deals before - with success. Perth had one, as did Townsville. Local market deals are almost certainly they way to go.

Reply #196133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for Sydney and Melbourne?

Reply #196138 | Report this post

Fox Force 5  
Years ago

Does anyone remember 1 of the main reasons the NBL switched from winter to summer?

It was because of the saturation coverage that the then AFL & NRL were & still are getting on FTA radio, TV and news papers.

In the summer we compete with Cricket, tennis and soccer (seem to remember that soccer made the switch after NBL).

I would bet my right earhole that should the NBL move back to winter we would have people complaining that it was a dumb move.

bigcountryaus, are you suggesting that during the winter you go into hibernation and see no mates, attend no parties and generally sit around during the weekend with nothing to do?

The summer move has generally worked for my circle of freinds and last year I would suggest an avergae of 3-4000 others ageee.

Reply #196144 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The sydney-melbourne thing is really hard but guess what, they are the two markets that Foxtel care about. Take a look through last years schedule...Sydney, dragons, brisbane, and tigers featured in all but very few of the wednesday night games....solely for Foxtel's sake.

Reply #196172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, ultimately you would be able to do a deal with both Fox and local programmers, but in reality that would have to be pretty unlikely. A national Fox or FTA deal will be Sydney/Melbourne heavy, and individual regional deals will leave Sydney and Melbourne without a gig.

Sports-wise, lower divisions of AFL/NRL/Union are broadcast sporadically in Sydney and Melbourne locally, but they are whole leagues where the networks have a significant investment in the overall sport, not individual teams from a d-grade game no-one cares about. There is otherwise no 'local' programming on Sydney TV, outside of the 6pm news. Just doesn't happen and I can't see a little old Sydney basketball club suddenly being the first to get it.

Reply #196179 | Report this post

Sam Kekovich  
Years ago

The reason there's no FTA coverage of NBL is Average Joe doesn't like basketball - too much same old same old - except maybe the last 3 minutes if the game is close. Summer or winter; no difference. Sorry folks, it's just not an Aussie sport! Now, where's the soccer forum.......

Reply #196193 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon - if Sydney and Melbourne can't get FTA deals, so be it. After some big derbies this season, I don't think they'll need it that badly. Plus, it's not like they haven't gone without FTA over the last few years as it is.

I'd rather have 5 teams with FTA coverage than all of them with nothing.

Reply #196358 | Report this post

gregmond  
Years ago

There are thousands of kids playing basketball every weekend in almost every city in every state. These kids all must have at least one parent who takes them to their game. That's a lot of people who are fimiliar with and understand the game.

I dont think the free-to-air coverage is pivotal to the succeess of the league ... does the A-League have FTA coverage? What does matter is putting financially sound franchises in sensible locations, linking them to grassroots hoops, and patience!

Good marketing, nice merchandise ... less hoopla, and less sponsors crap all over the floor, uniforms, seats, etc. will help too. I realise that sponsorship helps to put the product on the floor, but surely from a sponsor point of view, the message is lost amongst the clutter!

Just my 2 cents!

Reply #196577 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Not sure that the clubs negotiating with TV individually has worked, I know that Wildcats did it but it cost the club money.

Changing back to winter is pointless, no way will NBL compete with AFL/rugby for promotion(lets face it, it is losing to Soccer)

"Sponsors crap" is what pays the costs, take that away and you are back at the local level, so just go see the local games and forget a national league

Reply #196602 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754