Isaac
Years ago

NH: What do you pay for gym membership?

A short while ago, I put up a quick site called GymPrices.com.au, the idea being that the gyms are especially vague or secretive about their pricing until you're actually in their lair talking to them. A collaborator on the project thought that getting people to share prices could only be good for consumers so we gave it a shot.

The site gets a trickle of traffic from Google, but mostly people looking for prices. No one googles for "where can I tell people what I pay for gym membership"...

So, I thought I'd ask here - if you have a gym membership and have a few minutes to spare, I'd appreciate it if you visited the site, found your gym (email me if it's not there - email at the bottom of the Gym Prices site) and posted your price.

Any feedback on the site would also be welcome (here or via email).

Thanks in advance!

Topic #16680 | Report this topic

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Might be good to list by week and year as well as month to show the price difference depending on how you pay. Also a column for once off visits may be good as well. I realise that of course you can average it out.

Zest gyms in SA are now Good life health clubs.

Great idea will enter the details I have when I get home from work.

Reply #196199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks DC. Until last night, I had monthly and annual options, but any submissions were for monthly prices and the code handling both together was a little wayward. Best bet might be if people work out the monthly cost and mention any details in their comment (e.g., "cheaper price due to paying a year in advance").

Reply #196202 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Great idea Isaac, I've completed the survey. Anyway I'm off to the gym now to crank out some killer sets on my chiseled arms.

Some of my famous quotes to get through a tough set include:
- Come Manute......you can do it
- Dominate the machine Manute
- Sweeeeeeeze
- Drive it home big man
- ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAH
- BARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAH

Reply #196215 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

There's always time for a quote from everyone's favourite Californian governor in Pumping Iron:

It's as satisfying to me as, uh, coming is, you know? As, ah, having sex with a woman and coming. And so can you believe how much I am in heaven? I am like, uh, getting the feeling of coming in a gym, I'm getting the feeling of coming at home, I'm getting the feeling of coming backstage when I pump up, when I pose in front of 5,000 people, I get the same feeling, so I am coming day and night. I mean, it's terrific. Right? So you know, I am in heaven.

Reply #196218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Manute and to the other couple of people who submitted prices.

If you have friends/family that go to the gym, pass it on to them too if you don't mind. Cheers.

Reply #196221 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Hi I'm a performance coach in Melbourne now, I recommend most people to go to uni gyms as they are cheaper and most of the times more equiped. For example, the RMIT gym cost $50/month on a 3 months contract and Melbourne Uni gym's about $55~$60/month once again on a 3 months contract.

While Fitness First is something around $80 a month (of course their facilities are most luxious compare to many others). And the studio I do some work at charges $70/month. So I definitely recommend Uni gyms.

Reply #196230 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

If you saw a photo of me, you would know the answer to the question.

Reply #196241 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Reply #196253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I train at the gym at Mars and I think the 12 month price for an adult is $450 or so. I don't go enough to make that worthwhile though so I get a 10 visit pass for $90 (was $80)

I go once a week at the most for around 40 weeks in the year which means I pay $360 per year.

Reply #196255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MARS for a student is 299 a year and for an adult its 415 not including aerobics classes if u want them i think its about 50 more however the student price includes everything

Reply #196270 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

I like it that Arnold had to clarify that he has sex with women

Reply #196286 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Hey guys

I know a mate who runs an EFM Franchise- I've been a member for around 3 months at Findon (The 6ers club)

Their going rate i'm pretty sure is around 26 per week although you're getting pretty bloody good service.
They write up programs on the whiteboard daily and there is a trainer to show you what to do every session and can offer you a spot or if I'm really keen he can take you for a belting of around 30min intense work! Lost 14kgs so far...

I've been to a few gyms and most of them just hand you a gym program and don't talk to you after that until it's time to renew (!!)

Reply #196346 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Isaac

Executive Fitness Management (EFM) isn't there.

Using EFM we were paying $75 a month before tax as a salary sacrifice. No mirrors, very good trainers, work out programs change daily, very good service.

Had a bad experience with Fitness First, they should be called Finance First because that is all they are worried about......

Reply #196421 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I heard there is a new gym opening soon in O'Connell St, NORTH ADELAIDE in the Foodland Shopping Complex. Not sure on the company or prices yet.

Reply #196562 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

I came across your site today while surfing the net. Anyway Blackwood Fitness - www.blackwoodfitness.com.au has "Pay By The Week" full club membership for $12.95 per week. There are no contracts, cancel anytime, no exit fees and basically you stop whenever you want too.

Reply #297141 | Report this post

I found EFM very good. No pressure, just come in and train. Have Tour De France challenge, Olympics, etc to change up the pace and gets a team calorie burn competition. Most are smaller size gyms but that makes it more close and fun as you get to know the regulars.

Reply #297159 | Report this post

Kate  
Years ago

Blackwood gym is awesome.. So cheap, it's barely ever busy and the classes are great! Unfortunately I moved into stirling and as a full time student find the gyms up here seem a little overpriced... Not overly keen on driving into the city, nor driving into the hills further. Im yet to check out Fitness Life though.. Anyone have any experience there? They had a "deal" going which valued 6 weeks of their gym access at $140.00.. Which I thought was a bit steep! :)

Reply #395056 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754