Victoria
Years ago

favouring Ref's

Have you ever noticed How every club has ref's that favour there team Except centrals as far as i no centrals only have 2 refs and 1s fair and the other is just completly on the other team Half the reason a centrals team was because of the ref's??

How unfair

LETS TAKE A STAND CENRALS

Sheesh

Topic #16698 | Report this topic

Bballlover#6  
Years ago

I agree its totaly unfair and im not even frum that club i betcha every 1 else wont care:P

Reply #196456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grow a brain

Reply #196457 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, I agree, totally unfair, lets make a stand against people that cannot spell........

Reply #196463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

went to a game like that last night! Sandringham VS Dandenong in BigV Men's Champ. For 45min of the game ref was in major favour of Dandenong who played dirty and still lost! in fact the ref was so bad and Dandenong was so dirty that a player got banged in a screen and suffered from concussion while there were no offensive call for that what so ever.

And that is just one example!

Reply #196467 | Report this post

Hood72  
Years ago

Bballlover - what are you on about? Didn't you just tell us in the thread about Centrals beating Norwood, that you ARE from Centrals? And now you say you're not?

Have you left already, just like most people who play for Centrals and then leave for decent clubs?

This thread and the bragging thread about winning a minor round game over Norwood, really don't do Centrals any favours. Isn't it funny that every thread about Centrals, no matter what it's about, becomes a Centrals-bash? Funny stuff.

Reply #196471 | Report this post

Why dont you move clubs then.

Reply #196472 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

de refs alwaz call me on de travel ..but i tell em dat hey I play lik an NBA playa.. nevr seen de bunny hop b4 .. so WAT !!!

Reply #196505 | Report this post

goog  
Years ago

"Lets take a stand cenrals" DUMB SH*T

Reply #196507 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I've found this all the top @ the Southern Tigers courts down @ Morphies when I used to play Div 5 for the Rockets.

Terrible stuff.

Reply #196519 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Defintely the REF"S @ Tigerland down south are the worst by a mile, Blatant Cheats!!!

Reply #196575 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Thank you for agreeing BB.

Reply #196608 | Report this post

Poolie  
Years ago

What a TOOL. Morphies refs are not cheats. Probably the most fair. A Senior ref at South is a cheat. Wayville has some decent refs. Port and Hillcrest have no idea. I have been to all stadiums and seen and reffed with nearly all sa refs and the best are from the south side of town. To me it sounds like your having a cry because you lost a game or three. And lets blame the ref because your too dumb to realise you are not everything you think you are.

Reply #196636 | Report this post

Are you serious, southern really have the most biased umpires in the world. They attack people personally, have conversations with southern players during the game, and sit with southern players in their break.

Reply #196647 | Report this post

beaniebear  
Years ago

And how does that affect their umpiring. I get treated worse there than anywhere else (apart from Hillcrest) and M/Vale is my home stadium.

Reply #196651 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

Poolie,

I would be very careful calling a Senior umpire (at Marion) a cheat, since you have supposedly refereed with nearly all SA refs, this is a great way to ostracise yourself from the group.

The person you may be referring to is on the Senior Panel of officials, and you are probably not - so not a good idea to go around bad-mouthing fellow officials, especially if you want to move up the ranks.

Perhaps you have not heard of the Basketball SA referees Code of Conduct?

For the record, I am not the referee Poolie is referring to.

Reply #196657 | Report this post

Astor 42  
Years ago

I've coached for a while now and seen umpiring of pretty much every level and at every district stadium in Adelaide.

I think you guys are being quite harsh in your comments and I personally can only think of 4 or 5 occasions when I feel a referee has deliberately done the wrong thing or favoured one team over the other.

I also would think that 'cheating' would actually require a lot more talent than most junior referees have. I would think most if not all referees make calls on impulse and wouldn't have the ability to change that impulse.

Now maybe if a certain team's parents, coach or players were giving that referee a hard time then subconsciously that referee might make 1 or 2 calls against them, but on the other side they might have 1 or 2 go in that teams favour to try and shut them up. I'm not saying they do that on purpose but we're all human and I would think it would be natural for an umpire to respond in some way to being yelled at.

I also think that because some refs seem to stay at the same stadiums that there is a sense of familiarity both from players and coaches as well as from the referee.

A coach might get the same ref every second week and learn that he/she calls lots of travels or lots of hands fouls and therefore instruct their team to be particularly careful. Then that team gets no travels called against them but the visiting team gets plenty, visiting team's response is that the ref is a cheat.

On the other side refs might get the same teams/coaches often and then get a feel for how that team plays. If a ref does a certain grade every second week and the home team always plays physical they might then let a lot of contact go. Home team continues to be physical, away team plays clean and can't understand how the home team can be so rough; refs must be cheating.

I also question the level of education people get. As a coach I've never been taught the rules, or had someone explain the interpretations to me unless I asked, and even then you get varying responses. I certainly don't know of any rules courses for parents/players. I assume that referees in different stadiums would be getting taught by different people and therefore would be getting different feedback as to how to read a game and let a game flow.

There are so many variables and I think calling a referee a cheat is a simple way to deal with something you as a coach, parent or player don't agree with but I certainly don't think that its a very accurate conclusion.

That's my two cents anyway!

Reply #196659 | Report this post

wayville 32  
Years ago

Astor - you say "I personally can only think of 4 or 5 occasions when I feel a referee has deliberately done the wrong thing"

And there is the problem. Even that is 4 or 5 occasions too many. It should NEVER happen, and if it does, referees need to be made accountable, which they are not.

Reply #196663 | Report this post

Croweater  
Years ago

I have issue with Refs that are rostered on to do the same age group that they play in for their own clubs. Often it is a higher Division and it is one that the refs are striving for. I think subconsiously at times they make bad decisions, based on the fact that they train with these kids and it is sometimes about sour grapes. Whoever does the rostering for referees, should put more thought into it. You know Jimmy so and so trains up with these kids and this age group. Get them to do the girls game on the other court and vice versa, it is not that hard to organise and it will take the ambiguity out of the game. As I know that these refs are also set up for harrasment from their age group peers, when they turn up to the next training session. It should not be allowed, basically if you are in U18 boys playing and reffing you should not be reffing your own age group, same sex.

Reply #196668 | Report this post

Astor 42  
Years ago

Wayville I agree with you and if you want to talk about those particular times then yes I am very disappointed in the lack of accountability.

I don't think that 4 - 5 times in over 10 years warrants labelling every referee in a particular stadium or area a cheat. That was the point I was trying to make.

Reply #196669 | Report this post

Maybe you should become friends with the umpires then, beaniebear. It works for everyone else

Reply #196829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754