Henry Kissinger
Years ago

Ineffective Coach

As the parent of a junior player what is the best way, without there being any backlash towards my child, to let the club know that my childs coach is not very good.

Whilst I am aware of the fact that he is a volunteer and gives his time for free he is not developing the players at all and some of them have gone backwards under his tutelage.

Many of the parents complain abhout this but none are game to do anything as they know what the usual consequences are. Some are even talking about leaving the club as they're not getting value for money.

Topic #16703 | Report this topic

playa  
Years ago

de kids need ta suc it up n play wit sum passion !!!

Reply #196497 | Report this post

Will-I-am  
Years ago

The only way a coach will be replased is if a group of parents all put their transfers in together.

The club has a month to respond to those parents to try and stop them.

Reply #196502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would hang it out and wait until they get a new coach at the end of the season. Hopefully they will get a descent coach then. Perhaps have a quiet chat to someone on the committee that you trust to anonymously speak to the JDO.

Reply #196503 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Playa is a result of such ineffective coaching, the regression has extended far beyond the court - now affecting the written word and speech, forming the lame, angry schoolboy, euphamism spouting example that we see above ...

My advice : get your kid out, before he too becomes a "playa" ....

Reply #196506 | Report this post

goog  
Years ago

i got a coach like that. Hes so bad that sometimes i feel like quitting. Hes a useless, no-nothing hack.

Reply #196511 | Report this post

funny guy  
Years ago

Henry

just tell him to his face, the North ABL mens coach is very approachable I'm sure.

Reply #196520 | Report this post

the foley show  
Years ago

take up coaching yourself and make the difference

Reply #196525 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Hello Mrs Burdon.

Reply #196533 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This seems a good opportunity for your child to learn about the pros and cons of team sport. Most importantly it teaches you that a player's development is not limited to what they learn from a coach; ambition, motivation and determination play a more important role.

Does your child spend time learning, practicing and honing their skills outside of team training and game time? I'm sure you are already aware that good players work through periods of adversity by working harder and longer. They don't blame others for their flaws.

I strongly advocate treating the coach as you would want him/her to treat you. Be respectful and don't jump to quick conclusions without good understanding of his/her situation. Good clubs/teams make the best of a difficult situation. This requires honesty, open communication and most of all empathy and understanding. Talk with the coach about your child's ambitions and how the coach might accommodate those needs.

Perhaps your child might be a coach one day and this experience might make him/her a better teacher/student of the game.

Reply #196534 | Report this post

Fox Force 5  
Years ago

I had this exact situation with a club around 5 years ago.

My childs development was going no where and we found out the same coach would be taking the team again for the following season.

We approached another club that we thought had a resonable junior program 1st to make sure we had somewhere to go, then took our concerns to our then current club.

The response was predictable; they were not going to have parents telling them who was going to coach teams.

We eneded up moving and have never looked back.

The best tip I can give you is always have a back up plan before you voice your concerns, otherwise you may be left with no place to go.

Reply #196539 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Henry,
now is the time to act. Rather than walk, work out what it is that you feel is in-effective. Considering that the season is almost over and the new age groupings occur, the summer season is the time to re-evaluate your position.
Personally, I say get behind the coach. Help them if you can and take an active role in the club. In a 2 team contest you have a 50% of winning and so if the fact that the team hasn't won 50% of games is troubling you, you're unlucky.
In life, it's not what happens to you that's important, it's how you react.

Reply #196543 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Henry, as a coach myself and I think I would speak for most, we actually don't have a huge idea if we are doing well or not.

What feedback do coaches get???

So you maybe about to teach your kid that when things don't go your way blame it on someone else??

Or, show them that your going to address the issue and that you have steps in place to work through the process.

In the meantime how about asking the coach why they do some things (that annoy you) to help you understand and have a conversation with them, without taking a us v's them approach.

Best of luck with it.

Reply #196549 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Skyhooked, Bravo!

There is a lot that goes into coaching and good coaches want parents to get involved. A good coach always has a long term and short term plan for each player.

Big Ads also made a very good point with practice. The coach only has them for say an hour session per week. During that time the emphasis should be on the team plays and structure. Outside of training, each player should be practicing their free throws and easy shots so that practice time is optimised.

Henry, moving to a different club where the emphasis is win at all costs (one club springs to mind !) may make you feel good, but your child may be a weaker cog in the wheel and not get much court time. Although they are on a winning team, have they really developed?

Reply #196553 | Report this post

Henry Kissinger  
Years ago

Big Ads, Fox Force 5, Jack Toft and Skyhooked thanks for your comments.

An additional problem with this coach is that he gives the impression he doesn't want to be there. I heard an aside earlier in the season where somebody said the club had to talk him into coaching the side as they had a whole load of players but not enough coaches (it appears this will be the case for the coming summer season too). After the game he has a very quick word with the team and is always the first one to leave the stadium. He has zero interaction with the parents.

In terms of practice, sometimes only half of the team turn up, I believe this is a response to the fact that they are not learning anything. They don't have any offensive plays and quite often look like a shambles on the court.

I'm actually thinking of running a pool on whether he will turn up to the end of season awards presentation.

Reply #196557 | Report this post

phd in shot  
Years ago

i have coached before but in the end the team was pulled out due to players not turning up to trainings games etc.
from what i have found most coaches are very approachable and if there is a problem talk to them about it if they dont act you then move onto a higher authority.

also if players are not turning up to trainings sometimes it may not be the fact that its the coach i have found when coaching some parents treat it as school basketball and dont have to turn up or they have other sporting commitments whether this applys in your case im not sure but its just from my experience as a coach

Reply #196563 | Report this post

bell  
Years ago

Can I addit to Skyhook -
If you feel the need to write/email letters of complaint please follow these simple steps.
Write it, read it - put it in the draft box and sleep on it for the night no matter how much thought you have put in.
Re-read it again in the morning. If your were to get a letter like this, what would your honest reaction be? "wow, that parent has put a lot of thought into that, great suggestions/feedback, will get on to them as soon as I can to have a chat about it" OR
"far out - this person is in need of medical help (raving lunacy)"
Amazing what a good nights sleep can do for perspective.

Reply #196568 | Report this post

skyhooked  
Years ago

Great point bell because once it's out of the mouth or they've received it, that's it... Many good person has made a goose of themself.

Reply #196570 | Report this post

HotRod  
Years ago

I agree with a lot of the positive suggestions of others, ..

I think more than one club has an 'ombudsman' to assist people air their frustrations. Try that avenue or if your club does not have one, suggest it to the president/committee member.

Reply #196582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754