Milly
Years ago

Aus camp letters out - any suprises

Who knows what AIS are thinking....

Topic #16715 | Report this topic

mmmm  
Years ago

Correct me if I am wrong but Isn't the Auscamp in Janurary this yr??? I think the camp in September is for the Emus training squad, then the team goes to Guam to compete the week after in the Oceania tourney??

Reply #196601 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

I know there is a camp Sept 22-25 for approximately 20-24 of each gender. Half of these players will then go on to Guam to participate in the Oceania tournament.

Milly - how do you know the letters have gone out - any more info about when and to whom?

Reply #196615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was news of a couple of girls being selected for Oz camp on the weekend which made me curious as to what the criteria for selections was as two U18 girls last year, from Southern and Norwood, must think themselves very unlucky to have missed out following their performances at those Nationals.
The criteria often appear to change depending upon who is selected and sometimes it seems performance based and other times appears to be on 'potential'. I have no issue with selectors doing what they are supposed to do, recognise potential and select, but perhaps the criteria needs to be constant and overtly applied.
There also seem mixed messages as to what factors play a part in the selection for Oz camps. It would seem district form, BA accredited tournaments, ABL etc have no weight at all and that the Nationals are the sole determinant of a camp, either that, or selectors are ignorant of the deeds of a large number of players. It's also strange that once identified by the state head coach as players of potential, those players' district performance are of little consequence.
Does team performance count for anything at the Nationals? Clearly the answer is no as the silver medallists from Perth have no representatives despite impressive performances by individuals. The country team finished 5th with several good performances by individuals and they have one to my knowledge and she was identified last year. The under 18 country state team last year finished 10th and had 3 players picked up for the AIS. A tenth finishing team with three potential Australian players in it and it finished tenth. The girls from Southern and Norwood could rightly be disappointed not to have been given a camp as Metro also finished slightly above country and beat them to boot. The U 16 girls beat the country team twice in trial games and lost one game at the Nationals, the Gold medal game, country lost 3. Team performance obviously counts for nought.
So the criteria seem to be: not team success and not all individuals' success but only the individual successes of those identified by the state head coach and or his confederates. I think most could live with that if it was made transparently obvious to all and it would make life easier because a player would know that unless he or she was getting accelerated or on full scholarship (whatever the hell that means), getting extra coaching etc they were unlikely to be considered for camps despite their performances.
I don't subscribe to conspiracy theory nor do I believe there is a lot of nepotism in sport but I am a touch bemused by the number of Country and Forestville players selected for camps and the AIS and can't help but think it doesn't hurt to have connections.

Reply #196619 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Conspiracy? Nepotism? Nup.
Transparent? Objective? Nup.
Wake up and smell the coffee.

The system works hoe the system works.
It's all about a combination of what you do, what your potential is, and how you respond on the big stage.

Add to this, somebody in your corner pushing your barrow to the decision makers at AIS. For that, in SA, read N Gliddon.

You need to have all the ducks lined up in a row - and then you might still miss out.

Case in point - N Marino. Couldn't get a look in on the big stage. My guess is that she didn't "have potential". As good as she performed everywhere else, "they" didn't think that she could do it on the international stage. Too short, poor fundamentals, too easily read/scouted. Maybe all of the above.

She would've had N Gliddon in her corner, but it wasn't enough.

So, bottom line. You need a bit of luck too.

But, like life, its not fair. If you haven't figured that out by now you were no where NEAR getting picked.

I know of a GUN playing for a bronze medal team at this years U18s, top stats, great athlete, great potential, consistent improver. She'll miss out because she's indicated her intention to pursue a college scholarship. Not playing the game = persona non gratia.

Who's the loser? Australian Basketball.

Reply #196627 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

I must agree that most players wont get a look in. The two players mentioned above from what i have heard pretty much were standout in there respective teams this year, eventhough the stats are not as impressive POINTS wise. One is also playing on average/around 20+ minutes a game in a team who will be playing for a spot in the GF of the ABL competition.

All i can say is that these two and many others who would consider themselves unlucky would have more than likely been looked at by colleges for upcoming seasons. It is the loss of BA when they make it in the college system.

Now when the names of the players who are invited get annouunced i would assume we will see some dubious choices who as stated before have potential, but haven't reached it yet.

Reply #196641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the loser? Basketball Australia. I don't think so. The problem, wrong word, the bonus for B A is that they could put 5 Australian junior women national teams out against most nations that would be more than competitive.
The ones selected for camps improve faster because of the work put into them but so would any of the ones who miss out.
As for Gliddon in your corner, after observing parents with him in that corner and observing how they operate whispering all the bad things in the game of other players, Im not sure thats a bonus.
There is no doubt there are inconsistencies in selections and some jaw droppers but that's life.
However, if you're a state head coach and have your wife and kids involved in your sport and going on state trips etc, being criticised for poor choices in selections and who's barrow you push or why would hardly trouble you.

Reply #196642 | Report this post

Carpenter  
Years ago

Do people understand? Getting good numbers in a state based competition (junior or senior) is nothing compared to getting good numbers and doing well at a Junior National Titles, where players go against the best in the country.

Reply #196653 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

The September Camp is for U16's and bottom aged U18's. The Jan camp is just U16's. Sept will be Gems & Emus squads while the Jan one is looking ahead to 2010. The players selected to go to Guam will also have to pay their own way so it might not be the best players who go.

Reply #196662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#196642, I dont disagree with the lopsided selections, but to be fair to NG from my understanding he has no involvment or say in the Country State program.

Reply #196664 | Report this post

Roger  
Years ago

Sector 7G - I believe your GUN player has not missed out. She is going to AIS scholarship trials. Couple others from her bronze medal team didnt get a look in - some would wonder why they keep busting their guts.

Reply #196670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that's so Carpenter. If you check out the numbers of the U16 team in Perth several of them had 'good numbers'and it got them no where. The country 16 girl selected had good numbers in a team with two other good performers but they still lost games in a weaker pool , Vic metro excluded. Its comparing apples with oranges and not rewarding success. Whers's the incentive to win when 2nd place earns zip for its performers. Two from metro and two from country should have been selected but thats history.
As to the 18's selection that's unique rewarding poor decision making and high turn overs.
In relation to where where you get your numbers, previously camp selection had a wider net if the BA website was to be believed regarding selections and district form was one of those mentioned. If ABL doesn't count for juniors playing in it something is very wrong and if the National Schools Championship which is BA accredited tournament doesn't have any weight get rid of it.
There are too many ifs and buts in selections and they appear to change with the wind.

Reply #196671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be Roger, they cling to the hope somewhere down the track it may be fair?

Reply #196673 | Report this post

hahahahahaha  
Years ago

"As to the 18's selection that's unique rewarding poor decision making and high turn overs."

"If ABL doesn't count for juniors playing in it something is very wrong and if the National Schools Championship which is BA accredited tournament doesn't have any weight get rid of it."

I believe you have just given away who you might be Anonymous #196671 comment. And I can now gladly disregard your post and laugh.

Reply #196678 | Report this post

Edinburgh 65  
Years ago

We all know anyway and we have been laughing and disregarding for a long time. I'm just surprised country kids playing in metro comps and zoning were not mentioned.

Reply #196681 | Report this post

The Wolf  
Years ago

anon #196671,

I think you are also mistaking that top age and bottom age players from U18 Nationals are not competeing for the same team. Top age 18's are competeing against the current U19 Gems and Emu's.

Also comparing performances in ABL can't count. If a Tassie girl was dominating their State league which is weak should they get to go to the AIS. Or if a Perth athlete in theirs. That would be comparing apples and oranges. Not their performance at Nationals, which is peer based.

Same with the schools Nationals. Who cares if you can score 20 per game in U17 B grade. But if somebody was averaging 30per game as a 15 year old in the a grade leading their team to win it, then yes it would get looked at. If it is not against the people you are competeing for a spot it doesn't count as much. Doesn't mean that the tournament should be scrapped, just that results are taken with a grain of salt. Same as local comps. In every state, and in every grade in every state, some kid is a standout. Doesn't mean you could select these kids as a team. Ability to listen, improve and make sacrifices over the coming years are probably more important than god given ability in local comps. Plus having players in each international position to make a team work is important.

Results and stats are only 1 measure used by selectors at National Championships, height and ability to defend in their position internationaly are the first two criterea used when considering selection. SO again, players from this state have missed selection even though they have done well if they are playing out of position and have not shown they can play at their international position in the opinions of the selectors.

Selection in all teams, grades and sports is subjective. Considering Australia is the 2nd Nation in the FIBA rankings with our small population and distance from Europe, we are doing very well. Seems to me that the selectrors are actually doing a good job, and that they should be comended for their results, even if you are ignorant of them.

Reply #196682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone tell me who the gun under 18 player is will you??? Im getting confused!!!! I thought that there were 2 consistant players in the bronze medal side who made top 10 stats. Are they going to the AIS trials???

Reply #196683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone tell me who got letters please????

Reply #196685 | Report this post

He couldn't resist mentioning Forestville's country players though, some things don't change.

Reply #196688 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Wait for the announcement like the rest of us.

Although I have heard (not confirmed) in 16 boys a Norwood kid and Centrals kid got an invite to the training camp but not to Guam.

Reply #196689 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Believe Seekamp is the lucky one from the medal team........???????

Reply #196694 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Also heard 3 from SAM 18 girls going to AIS sel camp.......gotta get those blinkers off before kids are lost to Colleges!

Reply #196697 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Anonymous people demanding info..Love it!

Reply #196699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Seekamp the only one in the Bronze medal team?

Reply #196700 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please read Paul's Post 196662 - it clearly states that there are a couple of camps.

"The September Camp is for U16's and bottom aged U18's.

The Jan camp is just U16's. Sept will be Gems & Emus squads while the Jan one is looking ahead to 2010. The players selected to go to Guam will also have to pay their own way so it might not be the best players who go."

There is obviously more opportunities for talented players for future camps for those who feel they have missed out.

Reply #196703 | Report this post

rumor  
Years ago

Harris, Bow and Minear

From 18 Metro is what I heard

Reply #196705 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Would love to know what people actually know, as opposed to think.

In terms of selection my understanding is a lot of background/input comes from ITC Head Coaches who see the kids in a broader range of situations than just a Championships where their talents may or may not be utilised or evident. The main pre-requisite, again, as I understand it, is 'ability to represent Australia at a senior level in the future' (includes coachability, athleticism, skills, length - not necessarily the attributes required to win a National Championships).

They will get lots right and quite a few wrong. Tully B may never have been picked on that basis but it hasn't stopped her. However, it seems fair (if a little harsh)that the resources be spent on a group with the best chance of succeeding at the top - after all, it is a high performance program.

If there is a highly skilled kid who is 5'6 and a marginally less-skilled kid who is 6' competing for the same spot, it seems they will go with the 'long' kid, simply because they have the body to compete internationally eventually. I compared the squad 2 or 3 years ago to the current Gems squad and they were about 50% right at that stage (only 50% of the girls in the current Gems squad went to the post-Nationals camp that year). They are developing players - at least 2 girls that I know of have dropped out of the Gems squad/program this year alone.

I was at 16's in Perth and so will be very interested in seeing the whole group as opposed to the group I'd have assumed would get picked.

Has anybody actually seen a letter or a list?

Reply #196708 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seekamp only one in bronze team!!! Doesnt make sense at all .........just doesnt make sense!!

Reply #196712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't does it. But there is nothing anyone other than the selectors can do. Does anyone have stats on how many current opals went to AIS and how many went straight overseas.

In October people are allowed to be approached by colleges and in my opinion going to a college on a scholarship to play basically every 3 days or so aswell as trainings would beat going to an Camp to possible get into the Gems.

Look at the big picture. Even some current boomers play in colleges. Pat Mills for one.

Reply #196722 | Report this post

Ignoramous  
Years ago

anon #196722,

So you also know that in College, players are limited to 20 hours per week on court with coaches. And that they are allowed only to train with their team from the middle of October to March. No! Didn't think so!

Yes Pat Mills did go to College.

AFTER he went through National Junior Camps, the AIS selection camp, the AIS, and the junior World Championships. Exactly the same as Bogut, Bruce, Maric, etc.

What player that has gone straight to college has done as well as those guys?

Reply #196730 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

By reading some of these posts Mr T is back.

Reply #196824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you say one in a bronze medal team doesnt make sense? Last year they came 11th and 3 got in. Where is the sense in that??

Reply #196834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul - "The players selected to go to Guam will also have to pay their own way so it might not be the best players who go."

Just like the state team ,only cheaper and a little more appealing than Victoria.

Reply #196836 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

Does everybody realise that perhaps the reason why certain people didn't get selected to these camps was because they did not elect to put in an application? The people that get selected are chosen out of a pool of applicants that have all signed forms of intent saying that they want to go to the AIS, because ultimately thats their goal if they are going to these camps. As far as I know (and correct me if im wrong..), the application forms are handed out through team managers at the nationals to the families of the athletes. Perhaps the forms mightn't have reached their intended destination, or more likely they were quickly thrown into the bin by parents.

I know of quite a few girls who (arguably) have a good enough skill base to be selected into the camps but have decided collectively with their parents that the AIS is not the type of environment they want to end up in.

Reply #196861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure!!! They would be really angry

Reply #196969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some parents were not told until after their child declined the offer.

Reply #197014 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

As far as I know process is that your coach has to nominate you.........Metro nominated their 4 or 5 and Country their 2...think its then up to a) them to perform and b) NG to push and depending who it is 'how hard'!

Reply #197020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WHAT 4 OR 5 METRO AND 2 COUNTRY WHY ONLY 2 COUNTRY

Reply #197046 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

onlt 2 first years dickhead

Reply #197161 | Report this post

oooooooh  
Years ago

You nasty!

Reply #197433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

life is full of suprises.

Reply #198214 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

My wife and I unfortunately were not informed, our Son was asked if he would be interested in AIS monitoring and assessing him. I do not think he was fully aware of what AIS could do for his basketball. We have no grievances as he thought the nominations should go to elite basketballer who are looking at a future in this field,my son does not do SASI. Good luck to the recipients who received an invitation. I know very little about basketball but my son enjoyed the experience in playing, the Coaches and his teammates. I watch a fair bit of SAC and Metro boys and girls, I was impress with SA Girls Metro coach he was very maticulous and the team had very even contributions.

Reply #198224 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Legend - U16 or U18 girls.?? 18 definately good bench but enormous issues.

Reply #198267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes there were major problems, lets hope it gets cleared up by next year. Should seeing that one of the 2 main problems wont be in the team

Reply #198425 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754