Interested
Years ago

Home Court Advantage - Referee's

Doing the figures on the home court advantage Adelaide have with the referee's.

Adelaide has had 13 home games and has not lost a foul count with an average difference of 8.77 fouls per game in there favour.

To have a comparison Wollongong a top 4 side has had 13 home games and has lost the foul count on 8 occasions with a average difference to there opponents of 1.76 fouls per game.
Brisbane another top side has also played 13 at home games losing the foul count twice, with a favourable difference of 3 fouls per game.
Lastly Perth has been on the wrong side of the foul count 4 times from there 11 home games with a difference of 0.73 fouls per game in their favour.
So when an opponent steps on the Dome's hardwood they have on average 2 fouls per quarter before the quarter starts and each player in the rotation is playing with 1 foul before they are on an even playing field. This is a huge advantage to Adelaide lets hope for home court during the play-off's and congrats to Geoff, Caroline, Phil and Company.

Topic #1677 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the sixers just dont foul as much !!???!!

Reply #19035 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If this contniues then we certainly need the home court advantage during play offs.

Great post have been thinking that the sixers are getting a good ride at home and not adapting to different ref styles away very well.

Good evidence that they should bring back the rotation of refs....ie send Weeksy to NSW to do 2 games over a weekend etc.

Reply #19036 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"Maybe the sixers just dont foul as much !!???!!"

Exactly. Who says stats are supposed to be even? Just like the Sixers are a low turnover team, they are a low fouling team. Look at the personnel to see why. The Sixers aren't the most defensively aggressive team around, so they are naturally going to be lower on the foul count.

All other stat categories vary greatly from team to team. Fouls are no different.

Reply #19037 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

What are the stats for away games?

A comparison would be interesting.

Reply #19039 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

OK Bake away games.
Adelaide have had 11 away games and have won the foul count on 5 occasions with a difference in there favour of 1 foul per game. So when away from home Adelaide has a 1 foul advantage compared to an 8 foul advantage at home. Yes stats sometimes don't tell the true story, I just found this interesting as I'm sure visiting coaches do.

Reply #19042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'm sure weeksy would love to be away

Reply #19057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's 2 stats i find interesting

Most time wasted comparing useless stats.

Number of posters with way too much time.

sorry but im not a big fan of stats
If u look hard enough you can find stats to prove almost any point.

ie, 10% of all facts are made up.

Reply #19062 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Weeksy does go away, the travelling ref policy has been in place for a few weeks now (hence why we have seen Ian Watts, Ray Hunt, Damein Thiesz in recent games)

Adelaide under Smyth have always been regarded as one of the lesser fouling temas in the game, their free flowing style doesnt tend to create fouls.

However, I would agree there seems to be some sort of home court advantage, I would blame this more on Adelaide only having a pool of 4 NBL accredited refs (Weeks, Tsakalos, Haines and Filmer), whereas Melbourne and Sydney have several refs they can call on, and therefore can rotate better.

Therefore Adelaide know their refs better, and know whats going to be called, or not called, whereas in other states this interpretation is going to be different (as much as NBL refs should all be the same, we ALL interpret the game different ways).

On home court advantage, caught a snippet of Goorjian after the Kings/Pigs game, asked about what it will take to win, and he said home court advantage. When asked who had the best he stated "Adelaide. Without doubt...they intimidate the whole game. The crowd just yells "3 seconds, 3 seconds, or foul, foul the whole game" it is the most intimidating place to play".

Take your hats off 6er fans !! :)

Reply #19070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

last game away weeksy had guess who he had!!

adelaide in perth..he goes away and gets adelaide

Reply #19083 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It must have felt like home court advantage for the Sixers as well. A familiar ref and the Perth crowd who are a very loud and excitable crowd. But then the Sixers are used to that sort of crowd at home also. Having attended that game, I did not feel that the excitement from the crowd was one sided. It could have helped to lift our players as well. Might be one of the reasons they won.

Reply #19087 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I heard Gorg as well on the radio saying the same thing, that makes me wanna shout louder at the Tigers who we OWE an ASS KICKING!

Reply #19159 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

it is more a case of local clubs and referees develop an understanding and know what buttons to push.

Reply #19169 | Report this post

junior  
Years ago

yeah keep up the hard work kriss.... u will get there one day

Reply #19194 | Report this post

jack  
Years ago

nice call junior. gorg? i think we owe YOU an ass kicking after that post

Reply #19312 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754