skip
Years ago

Friday Debate - Finish Top or Win Final?

Having a bit of a debate at work here. In any sport that has a regular season followed by finals, would you rather finish top at the end of the regualr season? or not finish top but still win the Premiership?

For me it is without a doubt the Premiership. To perform when it really counts. I am in no way a Port Adelaide fan, but their mission statement of "We exist to win premierships" is right on the money.

An arguement here at my work is that you should get more enjoyment and more out of getting the most victories over the year. And that by being the best over the whole season is more important than how you perform on one given day, even if that is the final.

Thoughts?

Topic #16776 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I should clarify.

Finish Top, but not win the premiership
or
Finish 2nd or lower but win the premiership

Reply #197449 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ask the Crows which one they prefer.

You can also tell the kind of person with the response you get to the question - would you rather get to the GF and have a massive loss or get knocked out in the semis and not suffer the humiliation of the GF loss?

I would rather take the loss in the GF.

Reply #197451 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It's a silly person that is happy with just finishing top. Finishing top and not winning is very unrewarding.

Reply #197453 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

a couple of years ago my team went 26-0 in the regular season of Div 3 Men. We lost two finals - it sucked

Reply #197457 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

He is basing a lot of his argument on things like the premier league.

I am glad that I am right and he is wrong :-)

Reply #197459 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The satisfaction of winning it all would be far superior to that of simply having a strong season. Years later, players would remember a championship win and the big moment that comes with it more than the less successful seasons around it, IMO.

As a fan, I remember the night out (at The Planet!) with the team and friends after the 2002 championship, but can't remember much about other seasons. Ben Fitz has his story from that same night, but I've never heard much about the other seasons.

I'd guess the same is true for staff and owners.

Reply #197460 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Premiership

Reply #197461 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Premiership

Reply #197462 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Premiership without a doubt.

Our work mixed team went 4 seasons without a loss, we decided to pull the pin then because we had a win in the GF by 15 points. Closest a team ever got to us. We decided to 'retire' then face losing a game.

Reply #197465 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

does Skip work in Phoenix

Reply #197466 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I remeber most of that night Isaac, some bits are a bit blurry. I have never been to a party like that at the end of the regular season.

Win it all or it means nothing, ask a Patriots fan!

Reply #197467 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

18-1

Hahahahahaha!!

PS I hate the Patriots.
PPS Premiership, no brainer.

Reply #197470 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Premiership for sure, the only exception would be soccer where the emphasis is shifted.

Reply #197472 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I was there also that night. I remember MC Matt Garrison taking over the Microphone and revving up the crowd. I talked to a few of the players including Farley who was surprisingly a down to earth kind of guy. However, the one memory of the night I was shocked with was that out of all the players, the person that had the hottest girls around him and an abundance of them also was...... the former coach! Bit of a ladies machine it seemed on this particular night!

Reply #197473 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

There is no debate,

You play to win Flags/Championships. Minor season irrelivent.

Reply #197478 | Report this post

Sir Alex Ferguson  
Years ago

Of course the next question is should there even be a finals series or should the season end after the minor round with the Premier being the team at the top (as in EPL). This gives, without doubt, the strongest performer over the whole season not just the best team at winning a knockout tournament.

Reply #197480 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

What happens at the post GF win party should stay at the post game party.

However JR at the post 98 Final party at Players was a site to behold, clearly the reason he did not turn up to the next days Rundle Mall show was "food poisoning"

Reply #197490 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Question one...
the aim is to win the premiership..thats it, full stop, no discussion required.

Question two...
I prefer not to have a finals series, i think that the result over the entire season is a more accurate reflection of a team and the competition.

Reply #197493 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Silly question, off course the championship is what everyone strives for. If you have played that well during the regular season to be on top of the ladder, you haven't completed the job you set out to do if the championship doesn't follow. One could argue if you are the best in the league and on top of the ladder, you should be the best on the grand final game. However you do see it that teams throughout the season do not put in the performance that they do towards the end and that can be annoying as well for the ones that have strived all season (Panthers). Sorry couldn't resist that one. Not to say they have already won the championship but are still on track for it.

Reply #197543 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Definitely, The Championship.

Reply #197641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:48 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754