Mr Ed
Years ago

Olympics: Should Equestrian be an Olympic Sport?

I was wondering what other people's thoughts on this topic are?

Personally, I don't think it should be simply because it is the only Olympic sport that depends on the performance of not only the human but also another living creature.

I am aware that there is some history there but is it really fair that the an animal could decide an event. Shouldn't there eb an Animal Olympics for such things. Otherwise why aren't our best dog handlers there competing in the sheepdog trials?

Topic #16785 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Watched it for about three seconds this morning before switching off the TV. Would rather see it replaced with something else.

Reply #197586 | Report this post

Mr Ed  
Years ago

I just had a thought - why not get rid of the horse and make the rider do the tricks for the dressage. Now that would be entertaining!

Reply #197590 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Rates right up there with Synchronised swimming

Reply #197601 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Let's be honest, some of the Olympic sports need reviewing. The Sync Swimming is a classic and even some field events such as shotput need to be given the flick. They have run their time and how many people can you name who Sync Swim. play badminton or are superb athletic specimens throwing a steel ball?
They are just no high participant sports.

Wait until London in 2112 when they bring in new popular sports- darts while drinking a pint, snooker and haggis tossing

Reply #197602 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Nothing better in darts than the announcer calling out "ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY" and the crowd going nuts.

Reply #197605 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Boring as. Was having this same discussion this afternoon with my son and concluded that it's a stupid event. Any event that requires judges opinion is not accurate enough and worthy of competition. It made us laugh how 3 different judges could award a different score on an individual performance. Makes you ask the question, what are the rules for determining a good performance? Unlike swimming or running where the difference between gold and silver is 1/1,000th of a second and other sports by the actual points your score. Does not make sense to me.

Reply #197606 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

EC, I agree. I watched it for over 20 minutes and I couldn't work out what the hell was going on. You are correct, a lay person can tell who won a sprint race.

Reply #197607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be boring but we win gold from it.

Reply #197608 | Report this post

What the  
Years ago

Ok then EC, using your argument lets also toss out Diving, Gymnastics, fencing, Judo and Taekwondo as they are all judged to find a winner.

I'm bet some Aussies reckon basketball should be given the flick given that 90% of our population couldn't give a toss about it.

Reply #197623 | Report this post

Mr Ed  
Years ago

Basketball is judged too.

My original point was not whether it is exciting or not, but the fact that it is the only "sport" where an animal can impact the results.

Reply #197625 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Bring back the Tug of War. Was an olympic event until 1920. I reckon it would be a massive crowd event.

Reply #197626 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

what the, I wouldn't have a problem if the scoring was more definitive but how do you award a medal to someone and not someone else just because one particular judge awarded one less point than another. You have to ask if that competitor's performance was worthy of the higher points awarded by one or the lower points awarded by the other. I don't agree on your reasoning about basketball. Its quite definitive as to how you score and which team is the superior team unless there is a remote chance that the ref made an error which had a detrimental outcome for a team. Whether you give a toss about anything does not determine whether an event is worthy of being in the Olympics. When is the last time you made a habit of going to watch some weight lifting competitions, or shooting, or even swimming for that matter.

Reply #197645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote Isaac:
Watched it for about three seconds this morning before switching off the TV.

Beijing greening the world.

Reply #197687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:45 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754