Isaac
Years ago

All Star Game changes

Mark Bradtke and Simon Dwight have withdrawn from the All Star Game. Their replacements are Ben Pepper and Stephen Hoare.

Bradtke withdrew due to family matters. Dwight withdrew on medical advice and will be forced by the NBL to miss the next Razorbacks game.

I'd heard somewhere that a number of players didn't want to play in the game because of the tough regular season schedule at this time, but the NBL have been saying that players withdrawing will automatically miss their next NBL game.

Oh, and I just read that Darnell Mee is likely to withdraw (groin injury) also.

Topic #1679 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the Aussie All stars are gonna get their arses handed to them...

Reply #19043 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

To be fair to players I think the automatic suspension is a bit tough, especially if the do have an injury that with a few days off would be better. Should it be just like work...bring a doctors certificate and there are no penalties!!!
The league should've thought the schedule out a bit better and made it on a weekend with the weekend off from normal basketball.
I feel for players like Maher who has had a few niggly injuries and has to play yet he has played a game in Melbourne on the 12th, back to Adelaide for the game on the 14th, All-Star game on the 19th, game in Sydney on the 21st, backed up in Brisbane on the 22nd then back to Adelaide on the 26th!!! If a guy needs a couple of days to get over a legimate injury why should he be penalised???

Reply #19050 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Good point Panther. Smyth is coach so maybe he should only give Maher a couple minutes, while running Jason Smith into the ground. :)

Reply #19051 | Report this post

Hackam Hacker  
Years ago

Good idea doc

Reply #19056 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

It is beyond all my comprehension why the NBL would put on games like this at this stage of the season or at any time throughout the season. The competition is currently as tough as hell, players are already carrying niggly injuries but still play through them. They can't afford to aggravate these injuries any further or even start new ones through the All Star games. Does the NBL not take the regular season competition seriously that they would not only put on games like this but also penalise players if they try to back out.

It may be a good PR excercise to do this, but what other benefits are there? If it is attracting people to the games because it is an important event, then all games should be treated like an important event.

If anyone could enlighten me on the real importance of these games, please advise.

I feel a case of deja vu coming on, didn't I say the same thing about the Blitz just before the start of the season?

Reply #19094 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Sure, it's a busy few weeks for these guys, but in a league where most weeks you play only 1 or 2 games (very occasionally 3) I think it's not so bad. NBA players play between 2 and 5 games every week, generally 3 or 4, basically what Maher has over these 2 weeks they have every week for an entire season!!

Reply #19098 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Oscar Forman today injured his ankle, and is being replaced by Townsville import Rob Brown in the All*Star dunk comp.

Brett Maher has been named captain of the Australian All*Star team, with former 36er Darnell Mee named as WOrld All*Star captain.

Reply #19156 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Oops, sorry should be Melbourne's Rashad Tucker is now in the ducnk comp.

Reply #19158 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Oscar out!

GOD DAMMIT!

Reply #19161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rob brown to win the comp!

Reply #19172 | Report this post

feather  
Years ago

god dammit?? kriss what is going on? dont commit suicide or anything buddy. we love reading your posts

Reply #19195 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754