Kent Brockman
Years ago

Commentary on last nights Boomers game

What where peoples thoughts? Have 7 realised that Dittmar does not know anything about basketball and moved him on.

i swear to god if i heard him say a long two to describe any shot taken outside the key once more, my TV would be busted open.

Anyone know where Basil cant remember his surname has come from?

Topic #16866 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

Basil Zempilas is the 7 sports reader weekdays here in Perth.

Reply #198609 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I loved this moment:

Dittmar: (referring to Ginobli) ...the superstar from the San Antonio Suns
Gaze: Spurs

He can't even get the name right for the team that his co-commentator won a championship ring with!

Reply #198613 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brockman, if you see a picture, you might recognise him from TV commentary.

Reply #198614 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Best call of the Night... "Oberto" from the San Antonio Suns..

Reply #198615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had the game on ch7 so I had it in HD for the first half, but I was listening to the online commentary. Although it was about 3 seconds delay, it was far better than channel 7's commentary.

Reply #198618 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I was watching the Opals the other day - LJ's first shot was a 15 foot j and hit the back iron - Dittmar says "oh ... almost".

In 20+ years of watching televised basketball think it was the first time I had ever heard a shot described like a Dad talking to his 8 year old child after a missed shot.

Reply #198619 | Report this post

a joke  
Years ago

Dittmar is an absolute disgrace, an embarassment to the sport. Bring back Lyn Parnell!!
Easily the worst commentator at the Olympics. Has anyone seen this guy at a Sixers game?
His knowledge of basketball is a big fat zero....

Reply #198621 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Calling foul shots the "charity stripe" is just so not cool anymore. Obviously Dittmar hasn't been to a Sixers game since we were in the West End uniforms. :)

Personally, I was too shocked at the meek-and-mildness of the Boomers' submission to their dismantling... nay, their decapitation... to care much about the commentary.

I had to agree with Gaze when he said that the Boomers needed to try cheating around the screens, after Scola got his 900th consecutive lay-up in the first quarter. I'd rather be buried by Ginobili hitting partially-contested 3s than seeing Saville or Worthington crying about getting layed-up or dunked on repeatedly.

Reply #198623 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I can't stand Dittmar in the commentary. He's a disgrace and knows zero. Terrible!

Reply #198646 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

That's what happens when the primary commentator is a former squash champion.

Can't the network afford to pay for Andrew Gaze AND another actual player, or was Andrew too much?

Reply #198652 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Bring back Carfino :)

Reply #198658 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

Cant remember if it was Dittmar but i heard one commentator refer to Pau Gasol as "Pau Gay-sol". And Glen Saville was "Glen Saveel".

Reply #198659 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Just as a semi-segue (semigue?): anyone else impressed with Bruce Mc's calling at the swimming? No Ray Warren-like patriotic histrionics (patrionics?)- just calm, measured and understated calling which complements what you can see for yourself.

I'm off to submit my two new words to the OED, or, at the very least, this guy.

Reply #198660 | Report this post

Anne Wills  
Years ago

If some of you guys had any sense you would notice that all commentary teams at the Olympics consist of a Channel 7 voice (not necessarily at the sport with which they are most familiar) - Chris Dittmar in this case and an actual ex-player, coach or qualified commentator - Andrew Gaze in this case. As basketball isn't interesting enough to have any FTA coverage you'll just have to make do with the closest sport (squash!!!!).

Reply #198680 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big Marty, I'd prefer it if the commentators were A Gaze and silence.

Still, its better than the crappy online footage I had to watch in the 2nd half! Whoever was streaming my feed was playing some awful, distorted, 'music' dredged from the 7th level of hell. After muting that, I was treated to superimposed dinousaur heads, crappy logos and inane comments all over the screen. Aarggh!

Admittedly the dude could be forgiven for underestimating the importance of the game since the Argies looked like they were having a light training session.

Has someone ever explained to the Boomers how to defend on ball screens? The Argies created a mismatch at will most of the match from those screens. We have to get our guys together for longer and drill them to react as a unit on defence.

We are really being hurt by our poor outside shooting as well. Where is Newley, the guy who once sank 8-8 in a Euroleague game? Barlow seems really hit and miss, same with Saville, and CJ just hurts us too much with his lack of speed. Ingles has actually shot quite well, but it has been in garbage time so there is a big asterisk.

Time for Goorj to play purely for the future. Mills should never come out. Newley and Ingles should share all mins at SG. Barlow and a little Redhage at SF. 3 man rotation of Bogut, Anstey, Andersen at C/PF.

Reply #198707 | Report this post

Years ago

Anyone notice the joke that was the commentator of the Equestrian last night?
"Over the Domino! Now onto the Triple... Look for the two strides! One. Two. One. Two. Now onto the Avocado! Ohhh... clipped it with the front legs. Came in a bit short! Onto the final triple! Look for the three strides. One. Two. Three. Ohhh.... came in a bit short!"
I reckon I heard that about 10, maybe 35 times...

Reply #198738 | Report this post

cpaul  
Years ago

it is made worse when you see that all of the other sports have commentators that know at least a bit about the sport they are commentating. It seems that channel 7 dont care about the basketball. all they show is swimmimg and diving all day.

Reply #198739 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

The equestrian commentator reminded me of Casey with all the horse talk ,he kept me watching though!
Thought some of the terms were quite amusing ,had never really watched equestrian before.

Reply #198832 | Report this post

He looks like a nob.
Is that the same guy that called an airball an airshot or something like that?

Reply #198837 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754