hooked
Years ago

Offtopic - Best Broadband

Sure it's posted a million times, but any thoughts on a good cheap broadband package, enough to service me for uni?

Topic #16871 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I ditched the free broadband I use to get working with telstra to go with Adam. Been with em for 2 years, never had an issue and they are very reasonbly priced.

Reply #198684 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I use Internode but not sure how cost-competitive they are right now. If I shifted, it would probably be to Adam.

Reply #198695 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Adam have been fine for me, though I've had my plan for 2+ years so I don't know whether they offer it anymore (40GB/$75 per month). I live a fair way from the exchange

Reply #198699 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Didn't mean to post that...meant to say...live a fair way from the exchange and still get a decent connection (8mbps or more).

Reply #198700 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Try www.whirlpool.net.au

You can check out all the providers within your area and check all the packages that each one offers. From light users to heavy users, cheap to expensive.

Reply #198704 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

I switched from Adam about 6 mths back (who I had no problems with until the last few months when it used to drop out regularly for some reason) and went to iiNet due to them have the best and cheapest Naked DSL plans. Not knowing then, but we decided to move to a bigger house a few months later, and are spewing that we can't get iiNet or anyone other than Telstra as we are on a rim. Now we have Optus wireless which is very reliable but obviously no where near as fast.

Reply #198709 | Report this post

Cable  
Years ago

If you have a foxtel outlet, cable wifi is the best and most certainly the fastest and superior way to go! I have it and it's an amazing speed. No delay what so ever. 12g/$79 a month with bigpond. No waiting in a que when you need service, quite unbelievable these days!

Reply #198710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have Internode. I live a fair way from the exchange and also have decent speeds. Never had any problems.

Reply #198711 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

I just switched to adam as i moved house. love it.

also check out this great website, which tells you exactly what speeds your getting, see if you are getting what you pay for.

WWW.SPEEDTEST.NET

it also lists the fastest and best broadband in oz.

Reply #198714 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Internode have a great reputation but at the moment are by no means the best value for money in terms of downloads vs price.
I'm currently with Internode ADSL, but seriously considering changing to Netspace who can offer me ADSL2+ in my area which Internode currently can't.

Reply #198715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cavolo, I'm assuming it's too late, but if you can get Telstra ADSL when everyone else gets denied then here's what I did:

- applied for Internode
- got rejected (too far from exchange)
- within 30 days begrudgingly applied for BigPond
- successful
- set fire to BigPond's welcome pack
- told support that I wanted to be churned to Internode
- escalated support query to management as support was a bit dim
- told them about ACCC ruling on competition
- pestered them some more
- they churned me to Internode
- whinged that they'd charged me up front for BigPond that I never used
- they gave me double credit by mistake

Basically, what happens is that Telstra provide a look up table related to distances from the exchange. Sometimes it's a bit lazy and other ISPs get denied without the distance being officially checked (it's estimated instead). Meanwhile, Telstra can force it through without going by the table of estimates. ACCC ruled that unfair and force them to churn if you apply to an ISP, get rejected, and then have success with Telstra within 30 days.

Hopefully this is useful for someone.

Reply #198719 | Report this post

avoid them  
Years ago

I went with iiNet - I would NOT recommend them to anyone!
Got the Naked ADSL2+ plan as mentioned above - they said it was connected - it wasn't. MANY hours spent on hold with phone calls, negotiations, denials etc, well 2 months later I still didn't have a connection - with one "customer assistance" person actually abusing me for my trouble for asking about my connection! By the way - they charged me the monthly rates for all of this time...

Finally, one threat to ring the industry watchdog later - and it was fixed in two days.

I would avoid them at all costs.

Reply #198727 | Report this post

BuTT  
Years ago

"spewing that we can't get iiNet or anyone other than Telstra as we are on a rim. "

Yeh this comment is a complete crock of shit, I work in the telecommunications industry and Telstra regardless of what they tell you ARE NOT allowed to do this.
Ring them back up, record the name of the person that gives you this information, then instantly ring the ACCC, they will give you a number to ring back and quote to them, most companies upon hearing this do very quickly what you ask since they get fined for ever complaint recieved afterwards from you.
The RIM has no affect on the connection company at all, it only restricts you from upgrading to ADSL 2.

Reply #198765 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

i would recommend IINET to everyone, been with them for at least 2 years, moved house in that time, never a problem, changed to naked DSL, no line rental, no cost for local and national calls and 35G download for $69 a month...No problems at all...i would say "avoid them" was very unlucky...

Reply #198842 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754