Quagmire
Years ago

Cavs get LeBron a new side-kick

Mo Williams in a six player, 3 team deal-
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3533552

One of those trades where all are happy. Except me.

Lebron needs another star player next to him. Not another solid scorer or a good role player, a frickin star. Cavs are going down the Minnisota road of "We have a franchise player, we just need to put a few small pieces together." Early play-off exits are in the cavs future. Trying a new running mate every season is getting them no-where fast.

All the while the Knicks are trying to move a 20/10 pf for anything they can get.
I know he's a headcase, but would you honestly tip against a team with LBJ and Randolph? Salary is an issue but constantly trialling bit players around LeBron won't make it happen, making a big move, a big gamble will provide the big results.

Sign D-West, then trade him with Wallace for Randolph. D-West would thrive in D'Antonio's system, and Wallace should be a Knick.

Conversely I think the Bucks have got themselves a good point guard in Ridnour.
They seem to be putting together a team of non-star but solid type players. They are a lottery win away from contending.

Topic #16888 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Quagmire, that is Lebron's fault he would rather max out the teams salary cap instead of give up 6 or more million so that they can get another star on their team and win more frequently. He will never win a title if he continues like that.

Reply #198929 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

No-one ever became "the first basketball billionaire" by making magnanimous gestures to teams and/or fans of those teams... BTW - I think his investment in Cannondale Bicycle Co. must be looking pretty good now...

The guy is a great player but seems to lack that certain something up top and in his chest... I expect him to put that on display as the US team comes up to sharp end of it`s pool schedule...

Reply #198931 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What is it about LBJ?

Awesome baller- easily the best player on any court he stands on... so why do i get the feeling he is no-where near the popular star many thought he would become?

There seems to be a real fan apathy towards the guy, and some feelings of disgust at the mega corporation that is Lebron.

I myself am struggling to get interested in him as a person, he seems so "produced" in that we are told to like him, told to be in awe.

Reply #198939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he's an exceptional player but don't find myself really barracking for him like I might for Chris Paul, Kevin Garnett, etc.

LeBron's just said some stupid, selfish things that would put a lot of people off supporting him.

Reply #198944 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"Awesome baller- easily the best player on any court he stands on"

Easily the best player!!! Get out of here!! I don't think so, there is several other players I would rather pick before him - Duncan, Paul, Kobe, D-Wade, Dirk, Pierce, Garnett and probably a few more.

His stats do not impress me especially when he only helped his team to win 56% of games last season when almost averaging a triple double!!!! Too many people are star struck by this guy and just assume he is the best because of it.

The difference is other guys play in a system and compliment it with their exceptional skills whilst in Lebron's case there is no system he is the system. All the other players are required to do is pass the ball to him and let him do everything hence the amount of stats he gets. He would also not want anything to change as it is all about him. Lets say they get Garnett and Allen and Lebron's stats start to go down to 15-20ppg. Do you think he would be happy that he is not recognised as a super star anymore? What about his billion dollar dream!!! That can't happen!

I doubt any player has actually gone from that team to another team and started playing badly. The reason is because their abilities aren't used in Cleveland and as soon as they get out of there they start improving.

From a GM's point of view he is great as he makes lots of money for the team from his super star status but if a team wanted a winner I would rather one of the other stars in the league over him any day!

There is more to a game then just dunks and stats!

Reply #198957 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

KingJames, LeBron actually took less than the max on his current deal. He will earn 14 million this year, which isn't even in the top 25 salaries fir the 09 season.

But it's always interesting that LeBron gets singled out for being selfish with his contract, yet everyone forgets that Cleveland went and gave Larry Hughes a max deal, has Big Z on 10mill+ and went and traded Hughes bad contract for Ben Wallace's.

But yes, the Cavs' issues are all LeBron's fault for not following suit of the so many (not!!) players that take less than what they are worth these days.....

Anyway, this trade should work out well for CLE. Mo is a SG stuck in a PG's body, and should really thrive playing alongside LeBron. For the Bucks however, that is bad, IMO. Giving away Mo and Des Mason for pretty much Ridnour doesn't seem to be anywhere near equal value and just takes away from their depth.

Reply #198981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:34 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754