DD
Years ago

Haters, still want Goorjian's head?

I really enjoy this site but sometimes it makes me sick at the crap spoken now and then...

Do you cats want goorj's head still...

Topic #16980 | Report this topic

Dana  
Years ago

Interesting to read lithuanian forums (especially re todays match.) There are pessimists and optimists and funnily enough, some call for the coaches head etc. It's funny how similar to much of what happens here is there. They sound like many on here. Best comment I've seen so far is:
"Lithuania has 12 players and 3 million coaches'. (Some also hope that the Boomers will give USA a big fright if not beat them.)

Reply #200021 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

After you have seen how good the boomers can play in the last two games, doesn't it show that they underachieved earlier in the tournament? If the coach had the team up and firing earlier they wouldn't have to play the US and would be in with a chance for a medal.

So to answer your question YES.

Reply #200101 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Nutwork....... just remember, we are playing teams where the guys (apart from the US) get to play and practice together FAR more often than we do.

Cemistry has to be built over time and we have TWO major hurdles to get over for that to happen.

1/ Most of our players are spread across the globe

2/ Basketball Australia does not have the finances to get them together on a regular basis.

We had a few training camps, yes, but when you compare the TEAM work of the Lithuanians, Greeks, Argentinians, etc......we fall short. I think it's great that our guys are fnally getting a chance to show what they can do. Expecting them to have done it quicker could be just a little optimistic.

Think how good they could be, if all of our Boomers played NBL and they could get together for a weekend every couple of weeks over the whole year leading up to the games or the WC's. Russia, California, Greece, Milwalukee, Lithuania are a damned long way away.

That said, Goorjian's leaving anyway, so it's a moot point.

Reply #200109 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

DICKO read my comments on the last post you had with this argument.

Reply #200111 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

DD - I don't think any Aussie fans who have been ripping on Goorjian are unhappy that the Boomers have done well the last couple of games.

Personally, I'm a Goorjian (and Bogut) cynic, but I'm pumped that they've been able to turn it around against Russia and Lithuania. I don't want to be proved "right" or "wrong", I just want to see the Boomers do well! If they put in a decent effort against the US, I think most people will rate this as a reasonably successful campaign, which was more that I was expecting a week ago.

It's convenient that you've only now taken the time to call out the "crap" spoken here after the Boomers actually won a couple of games. Where were you when we were sucking earlier on? ;)

Reply #200112 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I want to see the Boomers win aswell, hopefully they beat the US and advance further, if they do I will hail Goorjian and hope he gets another contract. But on overall performance so far we have underachieved. We have the best talent we have ever had and will more than likely finish 7th. If we can pump Lithuania by 30 why couldn't we beat Croatia. Go BOOMERS!

Reply #200116 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Goorjan needs to go even if the last couple of games have been good by the Boomers.

I hate Goorjan and it's time for a change. He's really under-achieved with this team.

Bring back Voldemort.

Reply #200138 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yes, he has placed us in a position where we have to play the USA in a quarter final. In my opinion, even with the recent good results, this olympics has been a failure (unless ofcourse we pull off a miracle).

Reply #200149 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Yep, still want Gorj's head. He has won an easy game, a quarter final decider and a dead rubber. The only good result is the Russia game which I believe was won on emotion anyway - something for which Gorj isn't really renown for instilling in his teams.

My only comfort in his coaching is that Patty Mills and Newley are getting more time on court for which they richly deserve. And some of the other players are getting time only when they deserve it on the day (eg Barlow, CJ, Saville and Anderson).

I am glad that Redhage isn't getting too much court time as I don't believe he is a strong Olympics level player - but respect his passion and energy. I believe he has more of that than the other Aussie born players!

Reply #200157 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Dicko, It's not necessdarily true that the Lithos practice together longer than the Aussies. They had a camp in July like the Boomers. They play all over the place too. USA, Greece, Italy, Russia, etc,

Reply #200258 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, I agree - I think a number of countries would've had a similar lead-up to ours - disrupted by other competitions and clubs.

Reply #200268 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

YES.....it really was that simple to answer this thread.

Reply #200299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754