Anonymous
Years ago

Do the Boomers need a coach from overseas?

Just a point of discussion would an overseas coach be more up to date with what is happening with other teams structures and plays and players being so close to the action.

Topic #17039 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

Sorry mate, I read your thread maybe 10 times and I still cannot work it out.

Hang out, now I understand.

You are asking whether a European coach (for example) for the Boomers would provide an advantage because they are more familiar with the systems and players of other European teams?

Probably.

But on the other hand, having someone very close to the NBL is also important. Remember our first hurdle to any major tournament is beating NZ - something we can no longer take for granted. Having someone like Goorjian to get us through qualifying is crucial because he coaches exceptionally well against teams and players he is familiar with.

And this then also answers your first question. But would a European based coach have helped us last night against USA or Argentina? Or if we face Angola?

By the way, China's coach is Lithuanian and it didn't do them much good.

Reply #200927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Personally, I don't think it would make much difference. And I'm not sure a full-time coach would change much either given that the players would not magically become more available early enough in the lead-up.

Reply #200944 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

Isn't Goorjan from Overseas ?
Pretty sure he wasn't born here mate.

Reply #200967 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:41 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754