name
Years ago

Opals line-up in 2012?

Who will be in the running for 2012 Opals and how many would be expected to stay?

Topic #17041 | Report this topic

scooby  
Years ago

Jackson
Taylor
Phillips
Summerton
Grima
Snell?
Cox?

Stay imo

Francis
Bishop
Ohea
Mcleod

a few names to consider

Reply #200945 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Newley??

Reply #200948 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

Newley, maybe.

some more names i just thought of that i would very surprised if they dont take:

Gretel TIPPETT
Elizabeth CAMBAGE

Reply #200952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camino anyone????

Reply #200953 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

Another one i forgot. If she improves defensively, definately.

Reply #200954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla Francis possibly?

Reply #200961 | Report this post

scooby  
Years ago

i already mentioned her in earlier post. if she stays on track she will be a definate!!

Reply #200962 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I don't think Jackson will be there for 2012. May have retired by then.

Reply #200971 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

Snell
Phillips
Summerton
Grima

From this campain

All you have to do is look at the Sapphires and Gems and their record and we will be strong for the next Olympics......
But will we be as strong for 2012?
IMO proberly not, but then again by 2016 we will have a team that will be medal contention again.
Our "Bigs" depth is outstanding in the junior ranks but we will need guards with international experience to make the grade.
Which leads to another point....
To be the best our players have to go overseas to be a chance... Why cant our WNBL league with the wealth of Australian talent we have lure overseas talent to come and play here and make our league "one of the best"?
But that takes money and really all the attention goes to the NBL not the WNBL....

Getting back to the gold medal game... When the game had finished last night (China) was pleased to lip read Lauren and she said "one more!"
Seems pretty pathetic that everyone was all for the Boomers and no-one for the Opals (post threads on Hoops), i mean the Opals ARE a genuine medal chance and the Boomers were never going to be but the focus has always been on the men.

Reply #200977 | Report this post

:knowledge  
Years ago

that is so true ppdo. I was surprised that no one had started a thread on the "Opals" win last night.

so I did. most of the threads have been re the "Boomers" I have been following them as well, and think they performed quite well, but have been disappointed in the interest re the Opals.
think this is a male dominated website. but then again maybe the males of this world have more time on their hands!!

Reply #201099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe the women don't care enough to discuss the games? anyone can start a topic about the game.

Reply #201100 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hard to argue with that. I do wonder if maybe the Opals and their success is sometimes taken for granted by a lot of basketball fans?

Reply #201101 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would think that Jackson's future will depend on how her body holds up. She plays basketball 12 months a year, and has always suffered from leg pain. Gold in Beijing might convince her that this is a good way to end her Olympic career, on the other hand it might spur her on to defend it.

Another argument is that Jackson is a big and generally bigs don't reach their peak until 30+ and Jackson will be 31 in 2012. Hopefully she has one more Olympics in her.

Of the current team I would think only Harrower and Bevilaqua will have retired from International basketball. Harrower has talked about going on but I would think that would only be until the 2010 World Championships.

4 of our starting five could be back for another Olympics: Snell, Taylor, Jackson and Batkovic will all be 30/31 in 2012.

My 2012 team:
PG: Phillips
SG: Snell
SF: Taylor
PF: Jackson
C : Batkovic

PF: Summerton
C : Grima
SF: Porter
SG: Camino
PG: MacLeod
PF: Francis
SF: O'Hea

Coach: Carrie Graf (Jan's announced her retirement as Opals coach after the Olympics)

Just missing out:
PF: Bishop
PG: Richards
SG: Wilson
PG: Ebzery
C : Tolo
SF: Dombkins

PG is obviously the weak spot in that line-up and I have my doubts about Erin's ability to run a team at that level. Hopefully 4 year in Europe and a World Championships will develop her game to a level where that is possible. The other 4 starting spots depend on those players staying around.

Summerton could clearly start as she's shown over the past 2 weeks. Grima is the only other current Opal I'd retain, I believe Randall and Screen will be surpassed by younger talent and Cox is a bit of a question mark, although she's also been solid in Beijing.

My bench includes some young exciting talent who will hopefully get a lot of international exposure between now and 2012. Camino and Porter IMO were close to being selected for Beijing and will probably suit next time around while MacLeod, Francis and O'Hea are three young basketballers with the ability to go to the next level.

Looking at the list that I've got missing out any one of them could easily push for a spot in the final side.

2008 will hopefully bring Gold for the girls but 2012 is just as exciting!

Reply #201107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754