Anonymous
Years ago

Aus camp - when are people notified?

When do the Atheletes hear whether they made Aus Camp? I hear the camp is in January. When are they notified

Topic #17053 | Report this topic

Hood 62  
Years ago

When they receive their letters.

Reply #201042 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

You didn't make it. The letters have only just gone out for the Sept camp so it will be a while yet. They already have them picked but may wait until after the Sept camp.

Reply #201054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the difference between the September Camp, and the January one? Is there a list somewhere of who's going to the Sep one?

Reply #201060 | Report this post

AFAIK  
Years ago

September camp is focussed on prep for the Oceania tournament. January camp is focussed on development and AIS selection.

Reply #201064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So September is more of an Australian Squad team? Do people get selected to play for like the Australian Junior team or something from this?

Reply #201068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On another thread the confusion over these selections and how they happens flows and continues here:
Kids get letters at the Nationals.
Kids get invited after they put in a letter of interest.
Parents don't know about AIS selections made to their kids.
Parents refuse to let their kids attend camps.
Neil picks them.
Sturt pick them.
Country pick them.
Dean picks them after checking with kadina.
They were selected in U12's.
Only country, Sturt or Forestville kids get guenseys.
It's for first years.
It's for second years.
Its how you perform at the Nationals.
Its how you perform at SASI.
Its irrelevant how you perform.
The camp in September is worth more than the January camp.
The January camp is worth more than the September camp.
The same people go to both camps.
Different people go to both camps.
Maybe in this new enlightened basketball world someone from BSA might like to post what the real process is; if they know!

Reply #201077 | Report this post

Exactly  
Years ago

201077, you sum it up perfectly!

Reply #201082 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

(#201077) Nah! Your way wrong.

Reply #201095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, that just about sums it up. if you are good enough you go, if you are not, but are in good with the coach you go. If you are not a team player but like to make yourself look good you will definatly go. or you are taller than the average bear.

Reply #201215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neil rewards attitude even when its the wrong attitude. So piss on your team mates and your in.

Reply #201225 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

well summed up above.

from people every close to the process:
teams for Guam selected and notified already

Sept camp is aimed at building towards Guam AND 2011 world U/19's

Over the course of a preparation, they will look at maybe 50 different kids, at different camps

If you are out of the running for a team, they will tell you

They have made no specific plans for a specific preparation for the inaugural 2010 U/17 world's, but it will be a short preparation.

National teams programs have assumed responsibility for these camps from community basketball.

Currently in train, 2009 Gems and Emus (well down the path obviously) and 2011 Gems and Emus (very early in the process)

I trust this info so perhaps it fills some of the holes but there could certainly be much better info out there.

Reply #201311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ankles, if you're out of the running they will say nothing to you or worse mislead you.
Because selections are subjective, it allows a degree of nepotism to go on without anyone being able to do SFA about it.
They wait for an 'identified' player to have a good tournament to justify some selections and ignore others. Its common knowledge that if a 16 women guard had a better Nationals this year she would have gone to the September camp - ask the players.
Only a very few select people know the workings of basketball pathways and this thread is proof of that. Too many 'taps on shoulders' and 'wink, wink' for it ever to be considered kosher.
Maybe there's a secret handshake involved .

Reply #201408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*yawn*

Reply #201412 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

201408 - Common knowledge for who? From which State? Did they have a 'bad' Nationals? Didn't see any of the 18's but a number of the girls picked weren't 'standouts' statistically. Does that mean they had a 'bad' Nationals. What about the two bottom agers? One was a given and the other a surprise to me (I saw all the players in Perth).

Yes, it is absolutely subjective but it must be because they are ultimately picking a team which has roles to fill. How do you come up with an objective measure for smarts or determination or team orientation. Or should it be just the ten tallest, fastest or best shooters?

I have a kid in the process so I understand the frustrations (I'd love to know where they stand) but I also understand that this is a movable feast. The star this week gets a girlfriend/boyfriend/ job/criminal record (take your pick!) next week and is no longer your guy or girl for that spot. The kid dropped last camp takes it as a kick in the teeth and gets their stuff together and delivers on the potential you thought they had. The kid with all the potential wears out your patience on their ability to deliver.

The kid with none of the 'pre-requisites' wears you down simply through weight of achievement and gets picked for their first Olympics at age 35.

I know kids who think they have been mislead, mainly re the AIS rather than National teams though.

On the whole though, I think every kid with a desire to play at an elite level gets a much better opportunity to do so than they have ever had. Nobody ever did it without some obstacles or setbacks but if they can play at an elite level they will, and they will get plenty of help on the way through (at least based on my child's experience).

Having spent two of the past three weekends working at elite player development camps (as a humble volunteer coach) I can absolutely understand that there are parents who had kids at the camps who are now going 'what he hell could they be thinking' or 'she only got through because she's from X association' or 'what do they see in Y?'. I ask the same questions and often I'm involved in the process (at a lower level) so its bound to happen in any subjective process. I also know it would be simply impossible to explain every decision to every player from every camp, as desirable as that might be.

Reply #201417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#201408 - Its common knowledge that if a 16 women guard had a better Nationals this year she would have gone to the September camp - ask the players.

What team was this girl from?

Reply #201643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754