Melvin Corpuscle
Years ago

NH - Latest Gold medalist, for bad sportsmanship

Well, we thought the Bronze medal toss was going to be the worst sportsmanship at the Olmpics - well, enter Angel Matos (Heavyweight Taekwondo) the new Gold standard !!
Video may be removed shortly, so just in case - Matos takes an injury time out, and takes longer than the alloted 60secs, so automatically loses the bronze medal match. Matos and coach remonstrate very aggresively, then Matos kicks the ref in the head, before shoving and threatening to punch other officials. He and his coach have both been given immediate life bans byt the WTF.

Topic #17077 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

This piece of trash deserves every ban he gets.

Reply #201281 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Who gave him the name Angel? He was anything but. What a disgrace for his country.

Reply #201282 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Agreed. It wasn't the best thing to do. But none of you know the situation at hand do you. He was winning 3-2, and it was very early in the match.
Ref DQ him, because he took longer than 60 secs, which is bullcrap. You see it in Basketball. Teams take longer than the allocated time, but dont get DQ

Reply #201288 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

SKUX101, its the rule that 1 minute is the time allowed for an injury break. Regardless of the situation that led to the action being taken, since when is it excusable to throw punches at the referee and other officials? It was the ugliest scene I have witnessed in sport and a true disgrace. If there was any confusion at all regarding the rules, then this competitor should never have been competing at this level. I don't know what you mean by you see it in basketball where teams take longer than the allocated time. Its 2 different sports and the ref gave several warnings regarding the time expiring and no response was given from him or his coach. No excuse at all.

Reply #201291 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

commentators also said a letter of notice was sent to all competitors warning them they would be DQ for abusing these timeouts as in the past they have been used tactically to curb momentum

life time ban is not enough, i hope he is charged with assualt and servers time

Reply #201292 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Should be kicking the trainers and his coach not the ref. Disgusting display - especially given he only erupted after some 30 seconds after the DQ. Wasn't even spur of the moment - which he could at least argue his case with (seemed pretty pre-meditated).

Well i guess Taekwondo is one sport that takes its bans seriously (CAVEAT: Let's see if he gets the ban overturned in the future - as is par the course in sports nowadays).

Reply #201294 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

What a piece of sh*t, unacceptable behavior no matter the circumstances.

SKUX101, don't try and justify his behavior by saying we don't understand the facts! I hate refs as much as anyone, (probably more than most actually!) but NO WHERE, IN THE HISTORY OF LIFE, is it acceptable to attack a ref, NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES!

Reply #201301 | Report this post

lol
its pretty funny when you think about it

Reply #201344 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Disgusting behaviour and deserves the ban

Reply #201371 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Ironic that it was in a sport where kicking to the head gets you points. Id say that had "enough force" onto the umpires head to warrent 2 points.

Reply #201380 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I heard he was upset because Ch 7 didn't show his bout live....

Reply #201385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754