Paul
Years ago

Opals needed scorers

Jackson needed flat out scorers to help her not defensive players. Bibby, Veal, Poto, Porter and Wilson are all proven scorers. Could they have made a difference?

Topic #17078 | Report this topic

50c each way  
Years ago

simply outclassed by better D.

taylor did her best but only 50%.

Jan was a bit too conserative early with her subs although it could have got way more out of hand if the risky subs did not pay off - she stuck with reliable players rather than the x factor.

we did not appear overly confident once we got down a few points - you could see it in our faces.

Team USA pumped and homework done - well done.

plus we had a poor night shooting.

beaten inside by talls - I may have tried 3 talls at once with 1 PG and a SG.

anyway - jan and the girls have done us proud again as we look forward to the next generation.

Reply #201286 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yep lets not forget here that the girls brought home the silver medal,

Reply #201289 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

I just thought that the girls played a team that was too good. I agree with Paul however and i think that Porter could've been valuable in a game like that

Reply #201297 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Penny shouldnt have played as was only 50% fit. Normally she would never miss the easy open shots under the ring but she missed alot. coming back from a severe ancle in 4 days is just too soon and you could see she didnt have the normal spring in her step and lateral movement wasnt great. In saying that she played her heart out but I think someone else could have had more minutes and made a difference.

Batkovich missed so many sitters it was unbelievable. if we had made some of the easy shots it may have been a different story.

The USA d was good but not great in my opinion, we fouled too much and gave them too many second opportunities. foules looked soft and could have been let go but then nothing down our end.

Our offence was forced and stagnant so I agree a few scorers woul have been great which is exactly why phillips should have seen more time as harrower had a stinker and no one else seemed to step up. Phillips likes the big games and would have done OK.

Reply #201298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is a pity that the majority of players had a bad game on the one night.

perhaps perhaps perhaps many things perhaps they forgot to say their prayers perhaps they weren't wearing their lucky undies.

Perhaps they were beaten by the better team on the night.

well done ladies silver medallists look forward to the next olympics and the worlds.

Reply #201300 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

it was a shame that they ended like that but you cant shoot that low and win a game against any half decent team. Batkovich was chucking up so many bricks it was not funny, to the point where is was just frustrating to see her not acknowledge that it was not her night and get the baller in anothers hands.

Reply #201308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gap between first and the others is huge and at these games we have been exposed in several sports for poor selections and adopting the old 'pom' method of not blooding talent until they are nearly retired. We have selection issues and what happened to that Aussie flair that was our trademark of giving youth a go.
We are slipping across a number sports and sticking with players too long is part of that slippery slope that gives up on chasing Gold and settling for second best.

Reply #201441 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754