hoogenhout
Years ago

Central Women Return !

Centrals have made a return to Seniors womens ranks over the past 12 months.
They have built an ABA/DIVISION 1, DIVISION 2 and DIVISION 5 senior womens side from scratch and rumour has it they have nominated a DIVISION 4 side as well for summer. Know for a fact they started thier training for next season the day after their last ABA game and despite success eluding them ( except for DIV 5 who played in finals) the girls seem to be enjoying their basketball !!!
Picked up a card during the week, saw details in the paper and they have promoted theit trials on the website. They have a couple of signings for next season already. Are they on the track??!!

Topic #17088 | Report this topic

intheknow  
Years ago

My guess is their ABA side would be more suited to the Div 4 comp. They didn't 'build' their Div 1 and Reserves team this season just gone, they merely recycled some past Div 3 players, reinstated some deadwood and brought up some juniors who wouldn't even cut it in Div 1 in their respective age groups. The only time they have ever been 'on track' during recent years is when Kylie Taylor and Allan Mullins were at the helm and recruited two quality players from Warrnambool. That year they knocked off South and Woodville, and were competitive in the majority of their other games. But then the club didn't have the sense hold on to Kylie, Allan or the two Warrnambool girls. Before that, it was back in the Kelson/Cudmore days. The club lives in a dream world if they think they are going to be 'on track', unless they start from their Under 10 age group and build up. The committee simply has no idea. Look at the area they cover out there - they should be one of the top clubs in the league in both mens, womens and juniors. Anyhoo, some idiot always brings up this topic each season, and until the club actually proves itself, it's a waste of space.

Reply #201396 | Report this post

Now they only have to stop fooling every one in the U16 girls comp and come clean if they are actually going to have a div 1 team this year or just leave everyone in the lurch as in the past 2 years!

Agree with intheknow. Same old hot air that will evaporate into nothing as usual.

Please do us all a favour, sooner that later.

Reply #201398 | Report this post

cat 93  
Years ago

intheknow - yours is the most sensible and accurate post I have ever seen in this forum.

Reply #201405 | Report this post

:knowledge  
Years ago

why even start this thread! we all know that all the smart arses are going to come on and bag central.

Reply #201418 | Report this post

cat 93  
Years ago

It doesn't take a smart arse to bag centrals - anyone can do it!

Seriously, why would anyone bother posting this sensational news that Centrals have an ABA, Div 2 and Div 5 side! Wow, I'm sure all of SA basketball is so impressed. And just think what will happen if they get this rumoured Div 4 team up and running!

Boti needs to get on this quick!!

Reply #201420 | Report this post

Years ago

cat 93. here we go! you are the first sarcastic smart arse! bet you are so proud of yourself!!

Reply #201422 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It is a shame that there is so much sledging of clubs, particularly Centrals and Southern Tigers. Having strong clubs across the competition is good for the competition.

59% of all Jnr and Snr teams in the local competition (excl. the CABL) are mens or boys teams. It would be good to see this be around 50:50, so encouraging clubs to field more girls and womens teams should be encouraged. Only one club has less than 50% male teams (25 of their 51 teams) One club has 81% male teams.

Let's encourage the girls in the game

Reply #201428 | Report this post

cat 93  
Years ago

Nothing for me to be proud of iknowledge. You and your Centrals mates make it so easy for us.

Last time it was gloating about ONE win over a depleted Norwood Under 16 Boys team, now it's this!

But I promise no more bagging from me. I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you all. And anyway, you're keeping lots of people amused.

Reply #201429 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

Hoogen... while it's easy to come on here with your chest out with pride. what u fail to understand is that centrals people live in a bubble believing they are fighting the good fight while all along u r so many steps behind every other club in the comp it's hard for us in the greater basketball world to say good job.

intheknow.... u hit the nail on the head quite alot there but there other things that need to be mentioned aswell, like the Kelson/Cudmore days Ted actually keep an eye on the juior coaches and teams so they remained strong after he retired. over the years the girls program was extremly damaged and to be honest never rally recovered from the lose of Barry Mansfield and co. other so called JDO's came and went some doing nothing like glen shaw(just wasted your time while adding nothing of value to the club) while some busted there buts in ways but found it to tiring to hit there head against a brick wall(like julie anderson and kylie taylor).

in alot of ways centrals will never get a fair crack because we in the basketball world see the problems know how to fix them but centrals wont step out their bubble to hear it or do anything about it!!
i guess what it comes down to is when is centrals really going to be serious about being on the right track. we all know it's going to take time but it's also time u have already lost in a big way.

Reply #201445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe get off their backs and allow them to start again. Think you place a little to much on the Mansfield saga in terms of Centrals demise Booga and it's best forgotten.
I hope the current administration tap their area for the talent that is there and encourage all the kids to take up basketball because with a magnificent stadium and large catchment area,Centrals are well placed to become a force much the same as Southern (less the facilities).
For basketball to grow in S A, a vibrant centrals and Southern are important, so I for one wish them every success.

Reply #201450 | Report this post

cat 93  
Years ago

You are right. But we've heard it all before. I have been involved in SA basketball for over 20 years and have lost count of the number of times I've heard the same BS over and over. Booga is the same - he's been around long enough, and has more knowledge than most about what goes on at Centrals. It will never change.

Reply #201458 | Report this post

Years ago

excuse me cat 93 I have nothing to do with central whatsoever. I'm just sick of bigoted people like you in your oh so prefect world.
if this thread is keeping you amused, it doesn't say much for your intelligence.

Reply #201461 | Report this post

Some gold, comedy posts here started by Hoogen.

Booga you are with Woodville are you not? Might want to check your results from Friday night against Centrals in the 16,18 & 20 men.

Booga, how about you enlighten us by putting up some actual ideas rather than the fluffy rhetoric you've used.

Reply #201464 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

ChampagneComedyHour what was the only div 1 girls team result? since all the thread is about is the girls side dumbarse

Reply #201474 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

cat93... were u say it will never change i don't think that way i really do hope it changes not just for the club but for the kids that play or play in the future. there r some kids who r missing out on chances to play at the level they should but can't because of lack of numbers.

Reply #201476 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Well, I was going to say that I thought Centrals were headed in the right direction.

I reckon it's great that they've paid off that huge debt (100K or more) they had, and I also reckon it's great that they've got a women's team again.

If you guys want to have a go at Hoogen for posting stuff you don't like, that's fine, but you should'nt go the club itself. What they're doing is giving girls the chance to be involved, and that IMO has got to be a good thing for the sport.

Reply #201517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As much as I don't like Centrals, Im still prepared to say good on them for the positive steps they have been making - and whats more mean it!
Its hard work getting a group back from where they have been and to those people who are making the effort, you should be congratulated. Its only going to benefit basketball in SA in the long run, even if right now they are well behind the 8 ball.

Reply #201557 | Report this post

Winston Folland  
Years ago

The Author of this thread was looking for feedback and that has certainly come. I find it interesting that WE have a thread on this site under 'Local' with information on our 'Senior Women's Trials' posted August 21 with 116 reads and this, posted yesterday has just gone over 500 reads.

Please do not denigrate the people who are working extremely hard to keep Centrals headed in the right direction. Please do not belittle the players who are also working extremely hard to make US successful.

Above is mention of 'the Kelson/Cudmore days' and 'Ted'. Great days, I should know, as I was with the Club then.

If you want to speak to someone about Centrals, feel free to give me a call.

'Enjoying their basketball' was mentioned in the original thread and if you're a player (male or female) with another club that is not, likewise give me a call.

I believe we are on the right track.

Winston Folland
Head Women's Coach
Central Districts Basketball Club
0407 557 175

Reply #201566 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I find it interesting that WE have a thread on this site under 'Local' with information on our 'Senior Women's Trials' posted August 21 with 116 reads and this, posted yesterday has just gone over 500 reads.

Why do you find this interesting?

Reply #201592 | Report this post

Here is an idea - how about the club just quietly go about getting on with the job of rebuilding and restocking their ranks without getting on here and telling the world how good they are going to be, one day!

Tell me another major club that gets on here constantly telling the world how good they are without at least having the capacity to back it up?

Sorry Winston, you obviously have great pride in your club and you should be comended for it; however others are derailing your efforts by getting on here every few months talking up shite that is better left unsaid.

Reply #201594 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Um, North, Norwood, Southern, South etc etc....

Reply #201603 | Report this post

Div 3 Men  
Years ago

Whats in the past is in the Past centrals are moving forward so let them focus on the future without bring up all the crap that HAS happened just look at what IS happening the girls are putting in the hard yards to improve.

This is now the Winston era. Good job winston!
Thanks for coming to watch our grand final Win!!

Reply #201605 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

Winston are u doing anything about the junior girls side of the club or is your role just as a senior coach only? not slagging just never heard of anything u have done to improve it (not saying u haven't) just wanted to clarify because i would hate to pigeon hole u in the same breath as glen shaw as a waste of the clubs time and effort. i understand how hard it is to get girls into the program, but i hope u build the depth on the 14 girls program and keep them playing at that level because a few of them deserve to play at that level and would be a shame for them to go else because u can't offer it.

Reply #201614 | Report this post

Same old same old  
Years ago

Ummmm, Sturty6ers, I did say "without at least having the capacity to back it up?"

Kind of puts things into perspective.

Reply #201617 | Report this post

Joe M  
Years ago

LMAO  what a dud club. Shut up shop and send them to the cleaners.

Reply #201633 | Report this post

Years ago

Ahhhhh it's rather humorous reading all these central haters posts...Being a player in the Womens team I am proud to be part of it...I for one admire the girls week in week out for showing courage and character. It sucks losing week in week out, but give the girls credit for getting out there. We have some great juniors coming up that will be the future of centrals and no doubt the bigger clubs will try and take them...as they have with many other players from our area in the past....I look forward to seeing the women's side continue to grow and get better until then please stop the bullshit and let us get on with it.

We don't have any lightning players, AIS players or any big name players for that matter - if you know any that want to play send em our way....do you not think the club has scouted players from the Barossa and surrounding areas as well as interstate and overseas...

Stop the negative comments it's really quite sad. Unless you want to do something positive for the club..stop your whinging!.

We aren't going to quit so deal with it.

Reply #202790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummmm........Erin Phillips?

For both games.

Reply #202798 | Report this post

Years ago

one game does not a season make. albeit a very expensive game from what I have heard.
at least she encouraged the girls whilst playing her one and only match. which is more than I can say for most of the know-it-all bigots who have been responding to this thread.

Reply #203822 | Report this post

Pultney 26  
Years ago

And cleaned out the salary cap in the process.

Reply #203869 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754