Juror 12
Years ago

Athletes that could compete in other sports

After Paul Roos' article discussing how he thought guys like Mills, Usain Bolt, Dwight Howard and LeBron could potentially dominat in the AFL I started wondering which athletes could also be champions in other sports.

AFL footballers could potentially be good at track and field (appraently Shane Crawford was the third fastest 800m runner in Australia just prior to the Sydney Olympics).

You'd think a guy like LeBron and/or Dwight Howard would make good decathletes. But how about something like rowing/kayaking - could they be gold medallists with a couple of years of specific training?

Could divers become could trampoliners/gymnats and vice versa?

And I've always wanted to know how our cricket team would go against our baseball side in a game of baseball?

Topic #17091 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think divers actually spend time training on trampolines, working on various rotations, etc.

LeBron could make an easy conversion to AFL IMO.

Reply #201423 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

LeBron could play local soccer, if he brought his piece.....

Reply #201436 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

IIRR, a lot of divers are ex-gymnasts.

Steve Nash grew up playing soccer and apparently is a very good player - good enough he could have been a professional if he had chosen to concentrate on soccer.

Danny Ainge played one season of Major League Baseball.

Reply #201449 | Report this post

Thedream  
Years ago

The Dream

During his youth, Olajuwon was a soccer goalkeeper and handball player, which helped give him the footwork and agility to balance his size and strength in basketball, and also  according to himself  contributed to his shot-blocking ability.[6] Olajuwon did not play basketball until the age of 17, when he entered a local tournament.[4] However, he quickly became taken with the game. Olajuwon states, "Basketball is something that is so unique. That immediately I pick up the game and you know realize that this is the sport for me. All the other sports just become secondary."[7]

Reply #201451 | Report this post

Thedream  
Years ago

TEAM USA to AFL TEAM

FB - Iverson, Stoudimire, Artest
HB - Billups, Boozer, D.Williams
C - Bryant, Kidd, Prince
HF - Paul, D.Howard, Redd
FF - Anthony, Brand, B.Davis
RK - Bosh, LeBron, Wade
INT - Chandler, Jefferson, J.Howard, TJ Ford

Reply #201460 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Realisticly 3/4s of that team could ruck. Dunno how james at 6"8' would go playing on the ball.

Dwight would be a monster at 1/2 fwd

Reply #201579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754