curtley
Years ago

Sun Yue signed to multiyear contract - what a joke

6 ft 9 'point guard' Sun Yue has signed a contract with the LA Lakers. I see this as not much more than a publicity stunt to generate money off jersey sales and try to engage LA's Chinese community. Remember Yuta Tabuse? There was a ton of publicity for a 5 ft 7 guy who played 2 games for Phoenix and came out of a second tier college. Even though I think half the Aussie team would be in the NBA were they Chinese or Japanese, i'd like to see the NBL sign Asian players even if purely as a publicity stunt, I suggest however (money aside) that even if Tabuse, Wang Zhi Zhi, Bateer, Liu Wei or Sun Ming Ming played in the NBL they would not have a great impact on the court.

Topic #17121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wang Zhi Zhi can play.

The rest I agree with.

Reply #201850 | Report this post

RodneyR  
Years ago

Of course Zhi Zhi can play!!!!

Infact I know his father I do. We catchup down at the pub in down town Ho Chi Min Po Po every week we do.

His Dad always says to me "have you seen the size of my Wang"?

Reply #201856 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Posting a 12-point, 14-rebound, 12-assist, 8-block, 4-steal triple-double against the L.A. Aftershock during his rookie season in the ABA (2005-06), Sun averaged 13.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 10.5 assists in 2006-07 when the team played its home games at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, CA before moving to Singapore for the 2007-08 season.

From the Lakers site.

Be interesting to see what he can do.

Reply #201862 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Yep, its about accessing the China Market. Will get token minutes and sell a billion singlets!
Great financial decision. Zero to do with basketball.

Reply #201867 | Report this post

oooh  
Years ago

Yue is the man. at 6.9 PG the next Magic for sure. Hopefully this cool and agreeable looking young man doesn't develop the off the court habits of Magic though

Reply #201870 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

From what i saw of Sun - he has a pretty decent handle for a guy his size... might be partially predicated on the marketing factor - but let`s wait and see... And yeah Curtley - you are wrong on Zhizhi Wang (he was most definitely a player (NBA standard))...

Reply #201872 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Yeah - Tabuse`s a funny one... Highly skilled, great shooter (when he can get a shot off), blessed with Meerkat-like quickness - he would doninate in a midget league... But simply too short to be of any consequence in the NBA game (and he suffers from Japanese trait of being selfless to a fault (unlike a Boykins type))...

I have often spoken to Japanese Basketball fans pondering why he still wastes his time in the NBDL - it makes no sense. He WON`T make the NBA in any meaninglful way, could make bucketloads in either of the Japanese Leaugues (over the table or under the table - NBDL players get jack all)... Absolutely ridiculous - the only thing i can think of is that Kirin Beer (who used to feature him on their ads) pay him big bucks to stay in America and play in the DL in the hopes that he snaffles another 10 dayer (and becomes a marketing tool again)... I remember back in 2006 he refused to play for the National Team in the WCs (held IN JAPAN!!!) cause he didn`t want to jeapordise his chances of making the NBA - either the Kirin factor is right or he is an outright fool!!!

Reply #201875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

i'd like to see the NBL sign Asian players even if purely as a publicity stunt
The Perth Wildcats signed Liu Wei at one point and he even played in the NBL All Star game. Didn't really last though. Wasn't quite good enough for an import spot.

Sun Yue could be decent - very tall for a point guard and quick. I wouldn't call it a joke. I'd say that the jersey sales are just a bit of a bonus, not an overwhelming or sole factor.

Reply #201885 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If he gets a shoe contract, would that be the sole factor?

Reply #201890 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

DB5 - that was a bit "tounge" in cheeky. It was "laced" with a bit of humour.

Reply #201891 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

*cheek

Reply #201892 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

SVD, your shoe jokes suck. I wish you would put a sock in it.

Reply #201905 | Report this post

Neslie Leilson  
Years ago

Well haven't the cows finally come home to roost.

Reply #201907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754