Anomalee
Years ago

Under 20's to move to Thursday nights

I have heard that a few changes are happening in the Under 20's junior basketball. The games are being pushed to a Thursday night so the under 12,14, 16 and 18's can all play on court one. This year the under 20's are already being forced to play on court 2,3 or 4 in some stadiums, now they are being moved all together! Also now teams are allowed to have 12 players, that is just ridiculous, hopefully clubs won't go down that track and stick with the max of 10!

Topic #17123 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I guess this is one way to ensure the further demise of U20's. As I go into year 12 next year I am not prepared to compromise my studies for a mid week game and not feel part of a club as we have on a Friday night.

As for up to 12 on a team - good luck to those who need a drink to walk to the other end of the bench to hear the coach. Surely court time is important to reinforce skills learnt at trainings.

I am glad I am near the end of my junior time

Reply #201868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe anomalee you need to talk directly with your club.
Teams have always been allowed 12 players but you never do unless its seniors as it is difficult to get players on the court.
Maybe your club does not have enough coaches and does not want to turn anyone away.
So I would suggest you talk to them and help solve the problem of 12 in a team.
Thursday nights are just heresay at the moment as nothing official has been released from BSA.
But typical teenagers, leap before you know all the facts.

Reply #201869 | Report this post

Thursday nights would be stupid as most under 20's are in year 12/uni and the only time they can do part time work is on Thursday nights or weekends. Back when I was coming up through the grades, under 16's was played on Thursday nights. I think it should be under 10's and 12's on Saturday's, under 14's and 16's on Thursday nights and under 18's and 20's on Friday nights. That would easy the demand on court availability and ensure all division 1 games are on the main court no matter which stadium they are at.
Under 20/21 are already struggling for player participation, especially in the under 21 women's competitions with only 6 teams in div. 1 this year (no Sturt or southern), and this will only kill the competition further.

Reply #201898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one plays U20/21's anyway, so who cares. Basketball is an elite sport for top juniors and WNBL/NBL and every other part of it is dying.

Reply #201904 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Nah your right NBL is going great guns...twit!

Reply #201908 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

I remember the days when you use to have all on court 1 on a Friday night. Under 12s through to unde 20's and you use to stay there the whole night and watch. Girls on one court, guys on the other. Theses days no one cares about playing under 20's expecially if you are in year 12. Or just starting Uni. Its a shame, under 20's was probably one of my favourite years on Juniors. We got to beat South in all Three Finals thats year, Summer, State Champs and Winter.

Reply #201916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flip,
Were you in the West team that had the "Where are ya South?" shirts? There was a huge rivalry between those two teams, remember it well.

Reply #201919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isnt one of the major issues with atleast the 21 girls that they have better things to be doing on a friday night?? i know majority of girls i played with went straight from 18s to seniors due to being able to play on a week night! admittedly the 20s comp wasnt any good to play in!
Surely a thursday night game which in all likeleness not be as late as current 20/21 games wouldnt be that much of problem!!!

Reply #201931 | Report this post

Yellow eyes  
Years ago

As far as Im aware it will be 16G 3 and 4 onto Thursday and they are trying to get 20/21's on another nite. One suggestion was dropping the Reserves comp and do it on that nite. Mainly cos the same players do both. And 12 and 14 2's on a Friday nite as well which will make Sat morning pretty slim pickings. So lots of proposals to consider.

Reply #201960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any other sport, other than basketball that plays over so many nights and days?

Reply #201973 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Did everyone who has comments on night changes completed the survey?
The only reason it is being considered , is because that was the feedback from the survey .
I am in favor of an Under 23 Comp plus and Under 25 Comp with 2 overage players in the game , rather than Div 4 and 5 fully timed games taking up court space.
Thought's ?

Reply #201984 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Cricket, 5 days too long

Reply #202001 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

#973 most other sports have the court space they need... eg plenty of football/cricket grounds, plenty of netball courts, plently of tennis courts... not so many basketball courts plus relatively large player numbers means lots of games to be put on not many courts.

Reply #202180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when is an executive decision being made about this?

Reply #206019 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:45 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754