DB5
Years ago

Memphis sign Iranian centre to contract

The Grizzlies have signed Iranian centre Hamed Haddadi to a contract after he averaged 16 points 11 rebounds and 2 blocks per game in Beijing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3558642

Now I am sure that I read somewhere that the NBA had told teams not to sign this guy due to some ruling regarding US and Iran trade laws. Can TR, Isaac or anyone confirm this?

Topic #17141 | Report this topic

tickle  
Years ago

About a week ago, the NBA was given permission for its franchises to be able to sign Iranians.

Reply #202010 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ah thanks tickle.

Anyone think this guy will be any good over there?

The limited amount I saw of him at the Olympics, he did not look mobile enough for the NBA.

Reply #202016 | Report this post

Years ago

After seeing his Olympic numbers, I was actually wondering if this guy would attract NBA attention. He probably won't be very mobile, but should be decent enough as a rebounding and shot blocking presence, with some scoring ability at NBA level. He's only 23, so he's the equivalent age of a lot of seniors coming out of college. Considering his age, size, and that he's only ever played in Iran and the UAE, he's a pretty attractive low-risk prospect I'd imagine.

Reply #202034 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Plenty of "upside" for this guy, as they like to say in the NBA...

Reply #202042 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Yeah he isn't very mobile, but he's got the length to at least pull down some boards and block some shots.

What we really need to see from him is a big pre-season getting his fitness and body right. He has not shown the best endurance in recent times.

Reply #202047 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I imagine him to be a similar player to Ilgauskas. Obviously I don't think he will be as good but still will contribute if given the opportunity.

Anyone know why Ilgauskas didn't play in the Olympics?

Reply #202053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cavs did not want to risk it, plus he has retired from international basketball.

Reply #202055 | Report this post

Years ago

I think Ilgauskas was keen to play, seeing as it was probably the last time he'd be able to before retiring, but the Cavaliers were too concerned about injury. He has a history of injury, and I think he's recently had some back issues, so I don't think they wanted to risk it. I think there was some issue with Lithuanian basketball regarding insurance as well, as in the Cavs didn't feel Big Z would be getting adequate insurance while he was over in Beijing either.

Reply #202112 | Report this post

ronnymac  
Years ago

This guy was scoring at will against the likes of oberto and a very, very, very good player in scola. it was not just against them but every team they faced. he can score pretty easily on most defenses. i see him and a very solid ten to twelve points and ten boards type of guy in he's prime. very good pickup by the grizz

Reply #202194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754