Court?
Years ago

No court planned for 'new' Victoria Park?

After reading the proposal in 'The Advertiser' I see they are planning on ovals for cricket, soccer, hockey, and football...

But no plan for an outdoor basketball court?

Seems like the perfect opportunity to put in a flood lit, outdoor court which could be the mecca for casual basketball games in Adelaide.

If the popularity with the overseas students of the P.A.C. courts across from Victoria Park are anything to go by, Im sure there would be a lot of support.

Does anyone know or have details of who would be a good point of contact on this?

Topic #17150 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

There is plenty of open space around Mile End too near the factories and retail stores. It's away from residential properties, so the flood lights wouldn't hurt residents.

I think they should look into it over there.

Reply #202070 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

unfortunately i think that the reputation of street basketball, isn't a good one, And1 tour and the like don't promote a product that city council is going to endorse i wouldn't think.

Reply #202080 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Other than this site I do not know of any other street ball focus in SA. Maybe I need to get out more.

Approach the Adelaide City Council for inclusion as they are the proposal sponsors. If you can have pentaque venues. a skateboard park then why not a open street ball court. I think it would get used.

Reply #202099 | Report this post

boo-urns  
Years ago

how bout the crummy basketball ring and keyway next to the city sk8 park. man they couldve turned that into something so much better that would actually be used. a fullcourt, caged basketball court with floodlights in the city, or somewhere central, would be heaven.

Reply #202103 | Report this post

Years ago

There's a small court near the bus station in Franklin Street. It has a really good ring and fenced court, with toilets right next to it. It's small, but it's pretty decent. I only discovered it when I was catching a bus to the country a little while back. I wouldn't have known it was there otherwise.

Are the courts people are talking about opposite Victoria Park the ones that are owned by CBC?

Reply #202110 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

unfortunately i think that the reputation of street basketball, isn't a good one
The intro sequence for The Fresh Prince of Bel Air hardly helped:
In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shootin some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys
Who were up to no good
Startin making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'

Reply #202116 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

We'll need plenty of people to get writing then.

Reply #202117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754