justin
Years ago

Pre-Season: 36ers vs Hawks at Pasadena

Anyone got the scores

Topic #17156 | Report this topic

gravity man  
Years ago

Sixers win 96-83,they tried various starters,its put a smile on scotts face to have a preseason win!!!!

Reply #202136 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Who was good, how did Tyndale play

Reply #202137 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Wintana is an awesome recruit, I'm glad we have the man on our side.

Tyndale isn't bad and improved slowly. He'll definitely get better as he adjusts to this league and the 36ers playbook.

Brett Maher is playing like a vintage Brett. Truly wants to finish this season on a high.

Reply #202138 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Tyndale managed to end up with 20 points and I think 8 boards and 4 assists.

Has only had one proper training session with the guys so far and you could see he doesnt know all the sixers plays yet, but showed he can play though.

Bruce was great until he went off late in the 2nd quarter with a corkie.

Schenscher easily had his best game so farf with about 16 points, 9 boards and 4 blocks.

Great win by the guys.

Reply #202139 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Have to agree after seeing tonights game, Winitana is a great pick up for us, not only on the court but off as well I would say. Gets around his teammates on the court or sitting on the bench. Great team player and I would go as far as saying he deserves a starting spot.
Tyndale is ok, reminds me a bit of Rob Rose, just needs to work on his handle, was a little dodgy.
Bruce will be good too for us in the point spot, amazing court vision and again reminded me of Steve Nash with his passing and penetration.
Schenscher is a bit of a worry for me, will help us defensively around the basket and if he can pretty much dunk everything will score some points. But not a good mover laterally and has extremely heavy shoes...

Reply #202140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winitana and Schenscher played amazingly, especially good to see about 6-7 blocks from Luke, some nice hook shots and 3 nice dunks.

Aaron Bruce played very well, but unfortunately got injured early.

Reply #202141 | Report this post

lukn4gudimport  
Years ago

Tyndale seems like he has much to offer very good at making 1 hand shots in a congested situation near the ring also good outside shot ,rebounder and always looking to pass off.He made a couple of absolute gems.Defence is also a strong part of Tyndale's game .Wintana , well he can expect plenty of court time , what a great player has the whole package and Bruce he is a brilliant guard no question.He came off injured and did not return in the second half so hopefully a quick recovery will be the outcome. All up a good effort by several other players also after all it was a win!

Reply #202143 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Panther - Rob Rose comment was right on. I said that to the crowd I was with at the game.

I think Tyndle will be good.

But my biggest surprise is that Wintana has not been picked up in the past. Super athlete.

As a last note I'll throw this out there. We look so much better with Bruce at the point than Maher. Maher just to slow. I enjoyed the fast tempo that bruce bought to the game along with Wintana.

Starting 5 - My Opinion

PG - Bruce
SG - Tyndal
SF - Wintana
PF - Holmes
C - Ballinger

Reply #202144 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Starting 5 - My Opinion

PG - Bruce
SG/SF - Wintana
SF/SG - Tyndal
PF - Ballinger
C - Luke.

They just give up too many points in the paint with Balls in the center.

Luke played so much better than the last game i saw him play against Melbourne, he blocked Dusty 4 times at least, and has stopped all that dribbling on offence.
Tyndal plays like a muscly version of Rose, with those smarts and that change up of pace. He is so casual in the warm up, but so intense in the contest.
Bruce is a jet, but at times too quick for his teammates, except for perhaps the imports and Paora. Lets hope they can get used to him because i certainly think i can!

Great to see Brad Newley acknowledged, but why not Jenni Screen who was also there tonight?

Reply #202148 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lol at Winitana starting.

Schensch
Ballinger
Tyndale
Maher
Bruce

Could swap Brett for Holmes but we'd be a bit slow then.

Reply #202150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG - Bruce
SG - Wintana
SF - Tyndale
PF - Ballinger
C - Luke

Best line up, agree with BallingerFan.

Reply #202154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wintana will not start guaranteed

Reply #202155 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ballinger Fan, I agree about Jenny Screen. If anything I would have given her more acknowledgement in view of the fact that the Opals were Olympic medalists.

Reply #202156 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Panther, of course he has heavy shoes. You ever tried lifting a pair of size 17s?

Reply #202157 | Report this post

gravity man  
Years ago

Ninnis had his best starters on the 4th quarter and worked well there,No Davidson tonight,looks like Maher will start ahead of him come our first game of season.

My start 5

Wintana
Tyndale
Maher
Schenscher
Ballinger

Yes i agree with you about Jenny Screen not getting out on court and given an applause by crowd.I hope Sixers make it up when they play first game of new season!!!

Cant wait for Sixers first Home game ...Bring it ON

Reply #202159 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Does anyone know if box scores are published anywhere?

Reply #202161 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ive changed my mind on Maher not Starting. The team just seems to be a better unit when he is on court.

Line up for me..

Bruce / Davidson
Maher / Winitana / Hill
Tyndale / Holmes / Hill
Ballinger / Holmes
Schenscher / Cooper

Reply #202164 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good game and great crowd. The 36ers should run a lot more pre-season games (even if they're intra-team scrimmages) at venues like Pasadena and Wayville to get word out. Could try Starplex too?

Bruce must start. The team built a commanding lead when he was out there (he had 12 points and four assists in just 14 minutes) and then let the Hawks back in when he was off resting the injury.

Schensch was pretty good for 16 points, nine boards and four blocks in under 28 minutes. Still has room to grow into his role, but if he can do anything like that each game, he'll be really useful.

Tyndale played 30 minutes for 20 points (9/15 FG), eight rebounds and five assists. Shorter than advertised and appears to be a bit of a prisoner of gravity, but hard not to like his effort and that statline given he's barely arrived and trained (just one team training and one individual!).

I can see him, Maher and Bruce dishing 4-6 APG each.

He's not a bullet, but he's quick enough to stay in front of Kavossy. He's not tall, but plays big enough to defend a guy like Saville. And he's not a tank, but is strong enough to get inside, score, get boards, etc. Good all-round player.

Reply #202165 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I don't mind our import Tyndale @ all and he should get better. Pretty good effort with limited team preparation. The ball handling is a bit of a concern @ times, looks loose and unprotected.

Reply #202167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tyndale looked a bit flat i expect him to be a lot quicker and athletic once he settles in

Reply #202169 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I thought that also, but everything will improve as he settles into the team and learns the system. Have some faith and patience.

I'm glad we've recruited the Winitana, he'll make this season worth the dollars.

Reply #202173 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I noticed Tyndale threw a lot of no-look passes. This means the team will need to have there hands ready and always be aware if he's going to keep this trend up. Some of the boys weren't excalty ready or expecting the pass. They would think Mark was going to slash or still looking for a cutter such as the base one.

Reply #202176 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I saw a team last night that in view of the number of new players, jelling is not going to be a problem. For the limited opportunity they have had together, they managed to look and play quite comfortably with each other. More and more games together can only improve them as a team. Hopefully Bruce won't suffer too many injuries throughout the season because I too attributed the Wollongong's come back to the fact he left the game due to injury. It was a good sign however that the set back that it caused was able to be corrected later in the game although he did not return. Its good to think that if a player is down, the others will lift. As for Winitana, I can't believe what a gem the 36ers have picked up. I have not taken a lot of notice of him in the past but what he has shown as a 36er has to be the best we've seen of him. He is pure entertainment and productivity.

Reply #202177 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Last night definitely show they can gel together with time. They've already improved compared with one week ago @ The Dome.

Reply #202178 | Report this post

missed the game  
Years ago

Reply #202187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All reports from the states say Tyndale is a very athletic player, I have always known that Winitana was a talented player, but did not understand why he did not get much playing time for the Breakers?

Reply #202204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think Winitana will get much time. He'll get around 10 - 15 min a game

Reply #202209 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Skip has got the starting lineup spot-on. Winitana is NOT a starter! he's there for defensive assignments/a spark off the bench at best.

Gravity man, is your starting 5 in order? hope not lol.

Reply #202211 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Based on last nights performance I can't see why you would argue that Winitana shouldn't start? He was excellent, especially early. Saville could not cope with him and I think he offers a lot more than Holmes on both ends of the floor.

I'd go with Bruce, Tyndale, Winitana, Balls and Luke as a starting lineup. Maher is just too slow these days and the better guards in the league will take advantage. Tyndale and Winitana look like they are prepared to inject the defensive effort that has been lacking from the Sixers for several years. We have the makings of a much better defensive team with those two pressuring the ball and Luke defending the basket.

Agree with the comment that Tyndale is reminiscent of Rob Rose. Being a little shorter than advertised may make him more of SG and less of a SF than is ideal, but his all around game looked excellent and I think he will make a big impact for the 36ers.

Looking forward to the season. With the above starters and Davidson, Hill, Maher, Holmes and Cooper coming in off the bench, I think we can be an excellent up tempo team this season. Hopefully it will be like old times with Maher, Bruce and Tyndale raining threes in transition all night!

Great move by the Sixers to take basketball to the 'burbs as well. You always get much more of a feel for the height and athleticism of the players at ground level. Loved being able to hear all the talk on the floor and see the expressions and body language. Reminded me of the old Apollo days!

Reply #202217 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Based on form, so far, one would think Winitana would start and get more that 10mpg.

Reply #202232 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The team Scotty has put together is made for Brett to go berserk with 3 point shots etc and must start . I am sure you will find Ballinger and Brett will be our highest scorers if Brett stays fit . If stays fit why would it be his last year he hasnt said it is I believe. We still need his scoring ability unless Tyndale scores like Hodge did at season end

Reply #202234 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Bretts the Man,
I'm hoping Maher goes berserk with threes as well, but he doesn't need to start to do that.

The key thing, as you have pointed out, is whether Brett can stay healthy.

I'd say he has a LOT better chance of staying healthy if he is coming in off the bench to either guard a fatigued opposing starter, or a less accomplished backup.

I clearly remember last year, Maher got out there and went really hard defensively in one game, helping us to beat one of the top teams. Problem was, his vintage performance also got him injured and he didn't play again for quite awhile.

Maher has been my favourite Sixers player for a long time now, but unfortunately, father time is rapidly catching up with him. If he wants to keep playing a few more years and still have an impact (like a D-Mac) he has to accept a more limited role.

Reply #202237 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Beantown - This is Mahers last season.

Reply #202238 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

From a Hawks perspective...the refs were awful (to us). We went to the line 9 times to Sixers 28.
Tyndale was quick but I can see teams stopping figuring him out and stopping his penetration. He hit two jumpers but he has a strange shot. Its like he's got Tourette's syndrome when he shoots.
Holmes was the usual non-factor.
Bruce is simply amazing, how lucky were you to pick him up!
Schenser defended well but is extremely limited offensively.

For us Dusty and Matty had poor shooting nights and we didn't adjust early to the Sixers in your face defense. With Larry Davidson back and our point guard coming back this week the hawks are looking real good.

Reply #202250 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Re: Holmes - was he a total non-factor, or just in terms of scoring? He doesn't need to score in this team. Just rebound and play D which he has always done well IMO.

Reply #202260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winitana is awesome - crowd favourite for sure, hope he keeps it up for the season.

Davidson hasn't played a pre-season game yet and was a key starter last season, so will be interesting to see this Saturday's game in Melbourne when hopefully he'll be playing.

I'll decide then whether Bruce should start in front of him??

Reply #202279 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Skip, did Maher actually say this was definitely his last season or something?

Anon, no way Davidson has more to offer than Bruce at the point. Bruce is the future, Davidson is an excellent backup if he can stay fit.

Hawkeye, who is the Hawks point guard? I thought it was Kavossy or Tait?

Reply #202401 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At the moment, Winitana is the fittest-healthiest, quick and good at both ends.

Reply #202404 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

skip - From my disscusions with people at the club, this is Mahers last season.

Bruce is most certainly the man to lead us at the point.

Reply #202406 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You talking to yourself again skip?

Reply #202412 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

HAHA, whoops. Should have been addressed to beantown.

Reply #202438 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Skip. Shame if Brett does pull the plug at the end of this season. We finally (about 2 years too late) get a top notch guard in Bruce to allow Maher to play less mins, but it looks like it will now be for just one season.

Reply #202704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754