Anonymous
Years ago

Rockets home court move??

Hey I heard a rumour that the Rockets may be looking at moving to Golden Grove rec centre and demolishing their court at Hillcrest.
Any one heard anything on this??

Topic #1722 | Report this topic

mp  
Years ago

They looked at that about 10 Years ago when I was playing for the Rockets. we used to practice there.

There is something not right about playing on that surface at the rec centre though. nothing beats playing on hardwood.

I don't see it happening. BASA own Hillcrest, and they ould probably have to pay more rent to golden Grove rec centre.

Reply #19554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

basa doesn't own hillcrest ??? does it

isn't it like all other stadiums leased from schools or councils.

i could be wrong but i believe the only two basketball stadiums basa owned were apollo and athol park.

they sold apollo to build the dome and they sold athol park to shore up the debt.

they nominally own the dome and to my knowledge have 'agreements' with other interested parties.

Reply #19570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes hillcrest is council owned. cant see them moving to golden grove, but it doesnt change the fact hillcrest should be bulldozed. ive heard gg has a hardwood floor now, can anyone confirm?

Reply #19573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Hillcrest.

It has character :)

Reply #19574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillcrest anytime over GG. Character and better court. Though some money on facilities and lighting wouldn't go astray.

Reply #19575 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

hillcrest may have character - BUT - it is not leagl FIBA dimensions - and North - a premier club in SA - can not hold nationals as the stadium is sub standard.

you get a good ABL game there and it is shocking for spectators - let alone stepping on the benches toes.

they should renovate or rebuild hillcrest - if it involves North relocating for a season or two so be it - in the long run it is the right move.

my only comment would be BASa can not cry poor if they are venturing into new stadiums.

however - with Mr Foley and the state government announcing surplusses and no tax cuts - now would be the time to put a good case forward to either the government or local council.

it is a case - of some extent - to keeping up with the jones' - but - as i have ventured around a bit - hillcrest has passed it's use by date.

north eastern suburbs are huge nowdays - and we need to secure a strong basketball foothold for the years to come.

Norwood has no home - why not build a 4 court stadium and share it on hillcrest's site?

Reply #19582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"north eastern suburbs are huge nowdays - and we need to secure a strong basketball foothold for the years to come."

Good point.

Reply #19584 | Report this post

Even the carpark at Hillcrest has passed its used-by date. The whole place needs to be rebuilt, with a bitumen carpark and no random trees everywhere

Reply #19590 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

bout time they move out of there backyard shed

Reply #19594 | Report this post

G-Funk  
Years ago

Yeah they are moving. Moving 2 my backyard, its only half court so u know there are gonna be sum close games and if they wanna feel like they are playin at there old ground im installing a swimming pool so they can play in there.

Na all jokes aside havnt heard anything about them movin, plenty of rumours about tryin 2 rebuild.

Reply #19595 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

G Funk - no way at your place - the beer is flat

Reply #19629 | Report this post

All jokes aside? I think you have to make a joke before putting it aside

Reply #19631 | Report this post

knobbly knees  
Years ago

I have only 1 thing to say - whatever the outcome - sprung floors are a must

Reply #19636 | Report this post

shooter  
Years ago

yes what does everyone think. Rocket should move to The Gardens - Best stadiam for Basketball in Adelaide with spring loaded floors you will have under 14's dunking!!!!

Reply #19638 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Na man thats all we need, Rockets taking over the gardens lets just leave it free from any distric clubs, besides the gardens has a busy schedule and we wouldnt want 2 disturb that.

Reply #19678 | Report this post

we need to have better BASA courts than local rec centres - attract the teams and players.

venture into some decent deals with government and councils

Reply #19708 | Report this post

just me  
Years ago

north had plans on extending hillcrest but when the council brought the land it was on a provision the trees on the site were heratige listed so the are restricted because of that any questions ask hunnerup.

Reply #19816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

correct hillcrest owned by council leased by basa
gg has one court with wooden floor hopefully ttg council fork out to do other two courts in the near future
fantastic to play on unlike hillcrest that has floors that are up and down all over the place

Reply #19891 | Report this post

shooter  
Years ago

so can anyone from north acualy confirm anything?

Reply #19893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Golden Grove has a new hardwood floor on 1 court. One of the best floors I have played on actually and it has the good glass backboards with excellent sprung rings. The only thing it doesnt have is seating but that could be changed as there is plenty of room around the court, not like hillcrest!

Reply #19915 | Report this post

North is a big club - why not use Hillcrest and the main court at Golden Grove all at the same time - allowing 3 home games at once Friday and saturdays - so many south south teams play more home games at pasadena than marion as marion can only offer two home courts at once.

Reply #19917 | Report this post

why not remodel hillcrest to a one court - grandstanded spectacular with good facilities - change rooms, toliets, bar, - maybe half a half court for trainings, viewing room and use the other court at golden grove as the second???? huh

Reply #19918 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

They could just play out in the car park? Plenty of space there, hook the rings up 2 the trees and there ya go. Good fun 4 every1, just watch out 4 the trees that are in the middle of the court

Reply #19928 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

The only problem with abl games at gg on crt one is the ring height. I know from palying there that the ring height is at least 2-3 inches lower than it should be on crt 1.

i do agree that it would be a better venue for any district level basketball comp.

hillcrest does have character and alot of history but I also believe it is time to move on.

The rockets should look at re building hilcrest on the same site and maintain the 2 courts with, of course, a new carpark...with lights.

Reply #19935 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the biggest club has the worst stadium venue.doesnt add up a close second marion,port

Reply #19936 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

You can't put the Port in the same category as Marion and Hillcrest.

We do need bigger vsisting team changerooms though.

Gotta luv the upstairs bar for ABL games. Prime real estate to yell abuse at Woodville players...

Reply #19937 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

It is all very well to say go build another court but realistically, where is the money coming from and I would love to see the council approve it.

Reply #19956 | Report this post

bizzare things have happened - even the redbacks have won a game!

the money is there - play the right politics

can't you see it being spashed around!!!

Reply #19957 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Well North certainly don't splash the money around at their after game suppers at ABL games.

Reply #19960 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

port adelaide the doctor should be used as a refugee base rather than a basketball court

Reply #19961 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

refugee base? we could house half of Woodville's players.

(last comment meant to offend cheezeburger only)

I oppose our government's position on refugees.

Get your own stadium cheezeburger. I liked it when we were both in Athol Park anyway. When on a Sunday morning in winter, it was so cold your scrotum would invert. Those were the days...

Reply #19963 | Report this post

is Hillcrest in port adelaide / enfield council or TTG council zone???

Reply #19965 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah well aba games at the port didnt need music whenm it rained it made music

Reply #19966 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the doctor are you rated as a coach?(i didnt think a basketball drill was throwing eggs)

Reply #19968 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That's an old joke. You need some new material. I gave you props last time you used that line.

My boys went 17/25 that night. That's a good FG%

Reply #19971 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

hahahhahahaha.fair pecentage.what players we cash?

Reply #19974 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

huh?

Reply #19976 | Report this post

pistol pete  
Years ago

now is the time to push the government and councils.

state surplusses, no tax relief

remember we built the dome after the state bank performance - and look at the great stadium we have

many could have sat on their hands and we would have never got there

Reply #19982 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Pistol,Dome is a great stadium but how much is still owing? 13 million I think. I think basketball in general would be better without it.

Reply #20003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hillcrest is in pt adel/ enfield
ttg wont give up court space for north making to much money on a thriving social games

Reply #20040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754