Quagmire
Years ago

Kobe your my hero.... whatever.

"I have always felt that I can still focus and play at a high level even through various injuries. Thatss really just part of the game. When the doctors told me recovery from a procedure could be 12 weeks, I just decided now was not the time to have surgery. What it really came down to for me is that I just didn't want to miss any time 'punching the clock' for the Lakers, given all we are trying to accomplish as a team this NBA season. I am just really excited and looking forward to being there with the guys when camp opens in a few weeks. That is a real bonding process and if I can avoid being on the sidelines for that, God willing, I will," said Bryant.

Has there ever been a more transparent peice of crap dialogue in the history of the NBA?

Just tell the truth man- nothing wrong with your finger. Not a damn thing.

As for 'punchin the clock' there is only two things he likes to punch, and neither of em are clocks.

Topic #17266 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Sack all these expert MD's, Quagmire has spoken with his expert Medical advice! Kobe and all these doctors must be lying.

What are the two things he likes to punch?

Reply #203437 | Report this post

NVS  
Years ago

doughnuts?

Reply #203438 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

1/ NBA players (including teamates)

2/ Donuts.

you asked.

Reply #203439 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

'I have always felt that I can still focus and play at a high level even through various injuries'

Ego point 1.
Ask AC Green about playing through injuries. Ask John Stockton.
You'll have to ask em, coz they will never tell you without asking first, thats what tough is.
Why not just come out an say- my finger isn't worth getting surgery on, doesn't hurt?

'I just decided now was not the time to have surgery"

If not now, in the frickin off-season, when???!!!!
During the season ffs? Moron.

'given all we are trying to accomplish as a team '

I think this should read;
'with all I'M trying to achieve with THIS team'

'That is a real bonding process and if I can avoid being on the sidelines for that, God willing, I will'

Is this guy running for office or something?

A leopard don't change its spots, a selfish egotistical and childish Kobe don't change his either, no matter what awards they give him.

I bet Kobe loving people and fans with gullible intellect would beleive anything this guy says.

Reply #203441 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I bet Kobe loving people and fans with gullible intellect would beleive anything this guy says.

I bet Kobe hating people and enemies with gullible intellect would deny anything this guy says.

Reply #203443 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Maybe your right DICKO.

Maybe i should shut my mouth and just let people beleive in something, like the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and Kobe; the team first, God fearing humble basketballer.

Reply #203444 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Quagmire, go find something worth getting upset about. There is nothing happening here. Absolutely nothing.

Reply #203446 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Hump day- gimme a break

Reply #203449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe the media did ask him about the injury and playing through it?

Reply #203451 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Maybe i should shut my mouth and just let people beleive in something, like the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and Kobe; the team first, God fearing humble basketballer.

Yeah.....do that then ;-)

Reply #203454 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What i'm hinting at Isaac is that maybe the injury has been declared minor and not deserving of surgery, that would be the only reason a team would not strongly advise surgery this time of year.

Maybe it ain't so 'broken' as it is badly 'popped'.

Anyone who plays ball for a while will get fingers popped all the time, some can be real bad, painfull stuff. If it turns out that Kobes well publicised broken finger ain't broken at all, and never was, that would be way too embarrassing for our Kobe.

So instead of admitting his finger was never broken, he talks of his desire to be there to 'punch the clock' and bond with his team.

Just a theory, but if it looks like a load of crap, smells like a load of crap- probably a load of crap.

Reply #203455 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Quagmire, well it does appear that you've put a lot of thought into this and it matters a great deal to you.

Reply #203457 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I just hate seeing people deceive others.

Kobe is such an amazing talent, much like Lebron he just doesn't need to be such an ingenuine person.

It's like they modelled their careers on MJ's legacy but focussed too much on his weaker traits. Traits that they have taken too far. The cockiness, the arrogance, the tough love of teamates.

Listen to Hakeem talk, listen to Russell, winners both and outstandingly honest people.

I really wouldn't be bothered if Kobe was a tool, i just hate the posture and deception that he is a good person.

I just don't buy into the whole 'Kobe turns a new leaf' story.

Reply #203462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too much time on your hands Quagmire?

Reply #203465 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

You have no idea.

Reply #203469 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Doesn't he have a torn ligament in his thumb?

Reply #203471 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Just checked... pinky finger. Still, where the hell does this talk of pops and breaks come into it?

Reply #203472 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

You a bit bored at work today and looking for some reaction to your rantings are you Quagmire?

So taking into account your wierd logic and comments regarding AC Green and John Stockton needing to be asked about playing injured Im assuming Kobe actually called a press conference specifically to make the statement you have quoted above? I mean its not possible that he has been asked about his finger by someone and basically said (paraphrasing)

Yeah its not perfect but I can live with it - Id rather put off having any corrective surgery at this stage so I can do pre season with the team as I feel we have a great group and if we all put in the hard yards at training we have a real shot at going deep in the playoffs again this year

Really dont see the big deal - what more can you honestly expect him to say?

Reply #203477 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well said Statman

Reply #203479 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

This thread would not exhist if he had said what you wrote Statman. Your words are what any honest talking human would say, not the garbage Kobe comes up with.

Reply #203480 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

So he said the same thing but he threw in some clkiches such as 'punching the clock" "team bonding" and the like....
What sports person doesnt talk in cliches?

Id suggest that this thread only exists - not because Kobe gave the answers above to some journos questions - but rather because one 'Quagmire' hasnt got a lot on today and was looking for an excuse to have a go at Kobe.

Reply #203484 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Playing through injuries? Even if the pinky finger was broken it wouldnt make a great deal of difference, and eventually wouldnt hurt anyway.

Dont bother even mentioning a basketballer when talking about playing through injuries. Head to ufc where fighters are known to still win a fight with a broken leg! Alternatively look to AFL in the 80s with Dermott Brereton playing 3/4 of a grand final with broken ribs.

Back to basketball though, Kobe is a self centred ignorant prick, but he can sure play ball so who really cares. I love the way he goes about it on the court, u can see has has a fire to win and thats what drives him to being a winner/wanker.

Reply #203485 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Hear, Hear!!

Tomorrow it will be about what sort of Breakfast Kobe had and how his breakfast is showing that he is not a team player!

Reply #203487 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

It could be argued that Kobe's life (on the court, in practice, away from the game) is under the microscope like no other player in the NBA. Therefore, you hear about everything. You hear about the spat in the locker room, you hear about the niggling injuries and so forth.

Most players in the NBA, from time to time, have these kind of injuries that they have to play through, they decide not to have surgery and instead go with treatment and so on. The only difference is that when Kobe is asked by a journalist about it, almost every sporting media outlet in America picks up the story. This isn't the case for most other players.

When Kobe sneezes the threat of him missing a game due to the flu hits the front of the sports section in the LA Times, but also it's one of the lead stories on Sportscenter, USA Today and so forth. When he doesn't miss the game, the commentators crap on about it for 20 minutes.

Kobe isn't the only player in the league like this, but he's one of the few.

Reply #203489 | Report this post

You're*

Reply #203492 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Sounds like someone had an angry bourbon...

Reply #203494 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

What a stupid thread Giggity.

Reply #203495 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Next time someone asks him why didn't you have surgery, I hope Kobe checks with his agent before he says something. MAN do people love ripping Kobe Bryant for literally no reason. Imagine anyone else in the league saying this - would a bored imbissile make a thread about it?

And a side note; this isn't the UFC or anything, its basketball, and as soft as it sounds, finger injuries, espeically one as bad as Kobes (doctors dont lie for the sake of it) reeeeally alters your game. Its constantly on your mind when you catch it, pass it and shoot it, very annoying.

Reply #203496 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Imbecile*

Reply #203497 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

These guys would all have had plenty of media training, and Kobe's reponse to his finger is right out of the textbook. I agree that it does sound like a bit of a wank the way he's said it, but it's really no big deal, he's basically pushing the company line and saying the sort of things Stern would want his troops to say.

Reply #203498 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

As much as i can not stand Kobe i really dont find anything wrong with the comments he has made. Quagmire you've really dug yourself a deep hole here mate :P =)

Reply #203499 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Dug a hole my butt.

What is the value of a thread? Nothing. Just words man.

The extract was from Kobe's own web site to his fans, so nobody as far as i'm aware asked him of the 'injury' at all.

I am really struggling to get the point across though, that;

Kobe was known as a selfish twat and now he is in full blown kiss ass mode towards teamates. Its like a politician trying to score votes. He had such a negative image there for a while, has he really changed or has he just changed the way he talks?

Did the lakers improve because Kobe became team first or because they got a MASSIVE upgrade with Bynum's development in the first part of the season and the addition of Gasol for the second half?

He deserved his MVP- no two ways about it, but his character has not changed. If a player came to the lakers in the Shaq ilk, ie a challenge to Kobes kingdom you would see the old Kobe rear his ugly head again.

Baby is only happy coz he got his rattle.

Reply #203533 | Report this post

Junga  
Years ago

Damned if he does, damned if he don't.

Reply #203535 | Report this post

Ok he's selfish and ignorant. You win Quagmire. Still doesn't take away that he's not getting surgery on his finger to improve team morale. That's not selfish

Reply #203539 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

If your a Kobe fan- don't get on me, there is nothing to say that you have to love everything about a player to be a fan of what they do on the court.

For example- Kemp and Payton were awesome, and i was a fan, but i wouldn't consider either of them good people. And it doesn't matter one bit, i enjoyed their entertainment value, plus, they never pretended to be anything other than what they were.

So don't pretend Kobe is something he isn't embrace it, he is really entertaining when you read between his lines...

Reply #203545 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Maybe he HAS changed and your a typical Kobe hater who can't get over it...and so now you used to hate him for being selfish, now you hate him for trying to redeem himself and act like a good teammate?

Shame on Kobe...You're either selfish throughout your whole career, or just an asshole.

Reply #203546 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

But thats the point dude- if he had changed at all, for real, he would of made a statement similar to what statmen wrote, instead, he glorifies himself no end.

I'd like to think he has changed but don't you think his apparent attitude change is very thin top soil?

What would happen if Bynum came out this season and smashed it in a crazy way- 30 and 15 with 4 blocks- old school Hakeem like numbers?, would Kobe still be all sugar and no spice?

Reply #203547 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Dude...what are you talking about

How does he win - lets say he said:

"Nah Im not having surgery, I just made a big deal out of it to get attention, the Lakers need me anyway, period" - Would you then not start a thread because its 'Kobe being Kobe' - but becuase he tried to say all the right things - You know, like how ALL athelets do in interviews you jump on his back for being fake? Is that it...

Is your problem you don't believe camp is a bonding experience...?

Whats he done wrong again...?

Reply #203554 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

'Yeah its not perfect but I can live with it - Id rather put off having any corrective surgery at this stage so I can do pre season with the team as I feel we have a great group and if we all put in the hard yards at training we have a real shot at going deep in the playoffs again this year'

Case would of been closed. No thread needed.

Instead he embelishes himself like mad.

I know i'm a broken record here but some folks just don't get it.

Its not a big deal either i'd like to point out.

Its just my opinion that Kobe is still the same selfish player he was when he played second fiddle to Shaq.

Should fans hate him? Hell no.
Should the NBA not use him in marketing the game? Hell no.
Should he not get picked as MVP or for team USA? Hell no.

Just don't tell me he is a good person, coz he ain't.

A good person would of used the above paragraph to describe the situation.

Reply #203559 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

This is the most pointless thread since John Lawrence spruked his "alternative" forum.

Reply #203560 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

It can't still be hump day, can it?

Reply #203561 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

So people are now judged on how they respond to saying they aren't having surgery? He is a bad person because he said he wants to keep working with the lakers and bond in training camp

Reply #203562 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Dude- had no idea what i got myself into. The topic is such a micro small part of basketball, so much so it barely matters at all.

People get emotional when you call out a player they like, human nature and all that.

I was just having a laugh at how Kobe goes about creating the 'new' Kobe Bryant. It's so obvious to me that his perceived change is nothing than words on a screen.

I guess others wanna beleive, good luck to em.

Reply #203563 | Report this post

oooh  
Years ago

the adorable Kobe would never lie. So you believe Kobe raped the girl too I suppose. As if someone as gorgeous and athlete as Kobe need to worry about having to force a girl (or guy). they will all be jumping in with him and lining up for a chance. I bet you would too if you were lucky enough to be asked by Kobe

Reply #203577 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Quagmire. I have to say that I agree with you. I cant believe the crap that all the others saying. The Kobe incident isnt a big deal, just something to talk about. The people ripping Quagmire are the ones making this a big deal. Now come on, you cant tell me Kobe is a changed man... You dont have a sudden change that quickly. People are wanting him to change, rather than just accepting that he hasnt.

Reply #203589 | Report this post

I agree. Why was this stupid thread even made. just another one of quagmires poor threads (and theres a lot of them)

Maybe you should stop making a thread every day

Reply #203599 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thanks Sam.

Reply #203626 | Report this post

aww  
Years ago

Touching moment...

Reply #203628 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If only he would listen to you ELG but then what would he do during his recess and lunch?

Reply #203637 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Sorry KingJames, never meant to hurt your feelings.

Reply #203643 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

This is quite an impressive little hole you've dug yourself Quagmire. Giggity.

Reply #203650 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Oh i dug a hole, then i filled it with Kobes crap, now i'm looking down from a great height.

Gigigity gigity goo.

Reply #203651 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Not quite thread of the year.. although aww's comment is one of the comments of the year (ok big call maybe but still very funny).

Reply #203701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754