bball.com.au
Years ago

36ERS v Crocs preview

After perhaps the busiest off-season in 36ER history, the first game has arrived and it's time to shelve the rhetoric and get down to business.
The Pura Milk 36ERS take on the Townsville Crocodiles in the opening match of each team's NBL Season. How will it pan out? Let's take a look . . .
The Crocodiles are small and fast this year - or should I say 'smaller and faster'. They have never had real dominating bigs, and with the departure of Greg Vanderjagt, but inclusion of ex-King Russ Hinder, they have gotten more experienced and more savvy.
Rosell Ellis returns this year after spending a year on the sidelines, and will look to resume where he left off pre-injury - leading the league in rebounding. While the evergreen John Rillie and exciting Corey 'Homicide' Williams make a formidable backcourt. Daniel Egan, Michael Cedar, Kelvin Roberston, Cam Tovey and Brad Williamson are likely to see significant time as well.
I can't see the Crocs winning in a half-court slog with the Sixers - not that the 36ERS will be that flash in the half court either - but rather, this will be a spectator's delight with a rash of fast break basketball on offer.
There is an enormous amount of offensive talent on both teams, and early indications are that both head coaches will let their teams run with it.
For the Crocs, Williams is the sole creator for his group. His ability to find even the smallest lanes to the basket have given opposition defenses nightmares in the past. Around him are a great group of catch-n-shooters who are deadly if given an inch, and the 36ER defense would do well to 'stay at home' and let Williams try and beat them by himself - rather than bring everyone else into the game.
For the Sixers, how they use Luke Schenscher in this game might be the key. Against a smaller group in a mobile game, he'll be a fish out of water. If the half-court game becomes relevant, so does Schensch. His length and shot-blocking ability will really give Ellis some grief, but if Williams finds the lane with regularity, Luke will be forced to rotate, giving Ellis easy dish-offs en route to a monster game.
Bottom line - keep Williams out of the paint (like stopping the tide at times) and don't let players like Rillie, Cedar and Robertson hurt you from the perimeter.
For the 36ERS, Brett Maher yet again is the anchor. Consistent performances are what makes him as good as he is. He is relishing not having to be the primary ball handler, and can play exclusively off-guard now that Aaron Bruce has arrived (provided, of course, Brad Davidson's back pulls up OK as expected). Mark Tyndale looms as a 'what-if' scenario. Early indications are that he is struggling with the pace of the NBL game, and seems to 'run into the wind' back on defence. Hopefully the bright lights will turn this young man on and we'll see why he was so highly touted.
Adam Ballinger has been the biggest concern for the group so far. Last season's Club MVP has been battling a serious back complaint since January and hasn't fully shaken it. Can he (and the coaching staff) manage it through to full fitness? Jacob Holmes is another whose pre-season form has been indifferent - perhaps a mix of toeing the company line, and insufficient time to find his niche in a new system, new team and new coaches.
Offensive keys - establish a low post game with Ballinger and/or Schenscher to put some pressure on the smaller Crocs inside. This will hopefully open up a perimeter game to compliment what will always be a deadly offensive transition.
Defensively - can they play it, quite simply. Staying in front of your man has been hard enough without Homicide glaring at you.

Game time: 7pm this Friday, Sept 19.

www.bball.com.au

Topic #17332 | Report this topic

Wayville 24  
Years ago

Haven't be the PURA MILK 36ers for a while now.

Would have thought you would have known that ;)

Reply #204040 | Report this post

westend  
Years ago

yeah, its westend isnt it??

Reply #204042 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

paragraph or two would have been good, i have read the first few lines and have a headache

Reply #204044 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Will the starting 5 be?:

1: Brad Davidson (back OK?) (Aaron Bruce)
2: Brett Maher
3: Jacob Holmes
4: Adam Ballinger
5: Luke Schensh.

Brett to take at seat at the 9 min mark?

Reply #204051 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Nice one, enjoyed the info.

I've always wondered why it seems that the NBL is all about fast break / transition threes and the play of the guards while big men never get a look in?

Surely if we use Ballinger in the high post, have Luke down low but 10ft back to keep space, we could be deadly in a half court. I'm not sure how capable Balls is of playing the high post, when i've watched him play he seems much more confident on the low block..

Also, Luke is easily the biggest guy in the NBL so we should see him catching lob passes that defenders just can't reach and then feeding others whilst he draws the D. The question will be if he has the passing skills and if he can keep from getting stripped by using strong hands and keeping the ball high when in possesion. I have no idea if that is a talent of Lukes but you would think it would be a role similar to the one he played in college...

Anyway, much smarter guys than me on the coaching staff so i'll see what they decide to do.

I'm real excited about the game friday night. The L is so strong this season, every game is a final...

Reply #204052 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I wouldnt think Davidson will start given his limited time pre-season and Bruce playing so well in the pre-season.

Reply #204053 | Report this post

Starting 5 of :

Bruce
Maher
Tyndale
Ballinger or Holmes
Schenscher

Bench of :

Davidson
Hill
Winitana
Holmes or Ballinger
Cooper
Kersten
Hoban

They may even go with Schescher off the bench and both Holmes and Ballinger starting.

Reply #204071 | Report this post

Years ago

Whoever started against the Dragons! You know Ninny wanted to win that one even if it was a pre season game.

Reply #204074 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I look forward to seeing Homicide hit the court and Ellis make his comeback.

Reply #204092 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Bruce
Maher
Tyndale
Ballinger
Holmes

Reply #204096 | Report this post

ship'em'out  
Years ago

How long does Tyndale have to perform? dont wanna make the same mistake as Chappell.

Reply #204108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice one "Ship em out"

He's been here 5 minutes and done nothing wrong. Pull your head in.

Reply #204109 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Schenscher
Ballinger
Tyndale
Maher
Bruce

Why would you start Holmes instead of Schench/Balls just to match up with Townsville's undersized big men? They should exploit the size difference. Play to our strengths.

I am going to boo the ugly facial hair off of Hinder every time he touches it. Different team, same a$$hole I bet.

Reply #204114 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Bring it on . New exciting team .Thank you Mel a new coach . Might even play with some system and real defence even in our first game for season.
Looking fwd to seeing Tyndale , Bruce , Schenser, Winitana and the fit man will still be the man 25+
and when he has a rare miss we might even get some rebounds this year. Good luck Scotty and team.

Reply #204143 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Won't be a blow out, 36ers 115-106

Reply #204147 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im pretty confident we will see this starting line up.

C - Schenscher
F - Ballinger
F - Tyndale
G - Maher
G - Bruce

BENCH
Holmes
Davidson
Cooper
Winitana
Hill
Burdon
Hoban

Kersten to sit out.

Reply #204155 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't worry about Tyndale. Someone told me he through down a massive dunk on Ballinger in the recent trial game...

My only worry about the sixers is the lack of athletic big men...

Luke, Ballinger, Cooper and Holmes are all pretty much prisoners of gravity and ain't gonna beat anyone down the court...

Reply #204158 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks for the preview Mr Bball! I'm with Xstatik, we should play to our strengths and go big with Luke starting. Holmes form has been poor in preseason, I like him better coming off the bench behind Balls.

Should get a win this Friday, especially if Tyndale/ Winitana can limit the penetration from Homicide.

Quagmire, we're both too hooked into the NBA mate. I always find myself wondering why NBL teams aren't able to use their big men as effectively in the post as they should. I suspect some of it is the short 3 point line and the ability to zone.

If we were to do a little high post/ low post though, I think it might work better with Luke in the high post for screens and to cut to the basket when Balls is doubled or the defence tries to close our shooters.

Reply #204159 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Good call, hopefully luke can hit the jumper from the high post like the other big luc...

He is a huge body for setting screens too, Bruce should be loving it...

Reply #204163 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

The Crocs will probably start:

Homicide
Rillie
Tovey
Ellis
Hinder

*Sheridan has been released by the club
*Cedar has been on fire in the preseason
*6ers have better bigs but who is going to stop Homicide?
*will be a very fast paced game
*word is that Davidson & Schensher will start from the bench

Crocs by 10 in a very high scoring game

Reply #204406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754