Years ago

Solid NBL Players Without Jobs

the points cap is a disgrace a whole heap of solid players without jobs
including:kendall, mottram, mick hill, dowdell
can you think of anymore??

Topic #17333 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Could also throw Dench and Stiff in there.

Hawks version of Axel or the sixers' Dench versus Tigers version when asking how is he good.

Also the Breakers not being able to run a second import becauseof points so you could say the league is missing out on an exciting player right there. Imagine if Carlos Powell never came here beacuse of points restrictions.

Reply #204041 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

If clubs had not paid so much out and players taken so much, maybe they would be all imployed?

A bit radical but I would of cut the 2nd import out so that the OZ guys got a gurnsey and a pay check.

Reply #204043 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

KG-Gone, in theory that isn't such a bad idea. Problem arises when imports with multi-year contracts are let go. Teams would still have to pay them out.

an adjustment of the points cap would work to a degree, except the Tigers would end up fielding the Boomers team plus Ebe.

Reply #204045 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Time to get a real job like the rest of us! No tissues needed surely?

Reply #204046 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Cam Rigby!!!

Reply #204047 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Qlder - except that many probably have no other qualifications because they have invested their whole lives in the sport.

Reply #204048 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Luke Martin

Reply #204056 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Even guys like Majstrovich, Darren Smith, Adam Quick, Chris Cameron and even Travis Lane (possibly a few years ago) showed they were capable players off the bench or as fringe starters and would be worthy of a gig in the league.
I wonder if you could feild a team of all these guys plus 2 imports how would they go??

I reckon a team of

Kendall/L.Martin
M.Hill/Quick
Majstrovich/D.Smith
Stiff/Rigby
Mottram/Cameron
plus to gun imports would be ok and no worse than say the blaze or the spirit.
They wouldnt be title contenders though.
Looking at this i sort of wish we had just 1 extra team to keep these guys involved and seems to me we have enough aussie talent to support 11 teams, 13 probably was too many though.

Reply #204058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about...

Mike Helms/L Martin
L Kendall/M Hill
C Powell/A Petrie
D Stiff/B Hobba
N Mottram/C Cameron

Could potentially win a few games.

Reply #204063 | Report this post

smitty  
Years ago

I think you will find that a few of those players are now overseas earning more then they would in the nbl anyways.

Reply #204064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a hypothetical, lets just assume imports of that level. Or it was Seamus McPeake's side project....

Reply #204066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Realistically, Dowdell is only out of a job because Knight got a job.

Imagine if the league cuts to eight teams - will be a few very decent players out of work.

Reply #204067 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Fans should vote with their feet and sit out this season until the League pulls it's head out and makes certain teams do the same.

Reply #204080 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Did Dowdell actually get cut by the Cats to make way for Knight? Or has he just been moved to a development spot?

Reply #204103 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Yeah. One guy who isn't playing NBL this year is Craig Bradshaw. He is in Italy, playing or about to play in one of the best domestic leagues in Europe. And he's probably on alot of money.
It's a no-brainer

Reply #204105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah dowdell and garlepp got cut when knight got signed. BS really..

Reply #204107 | Report this post

Fox 35  
Years ago

mike homik

Reply #204116 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Mike Homik - ha
Solid as in good player -
not just size

Reply #204178 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

It just sucks that Pero Cameron has a job with the Blaze, or there would be so many jokes on here about how 'solid' he is.

Reply #204180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754