LC
Years ago

Blacktown & Ater Majok Article

Link: http://linky.com.au/qtfq3
Article on Foxsports website today about the Blacktown/Western Suburbs of NSW talent and the big wraps on Ater Majok.

Ltos of talk, time to see some action and results.

Topic #17348 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, time to see some action and results.

"has been able to field 17 Australians in US colleges" - that's just straight out BS.

Reply #204157 | Report this post

jaxx  
Years ago

i used to live out west sydney (blacktown) years ago when i was in high school...even back then it was made up of a lot of immigrants, particularly filipinos and pacific islanders...ball was huge in the area...

i no longer live in blacktown, but i visited there recently and i was surprised at the changes....the basketball culture is still there, but the the place was full of african refugees and immigrants instead... amazingly tall kids who were wildly athletic and dunking with ease...if the right coaching gets put into place, there are gonna be alot of professionals that will be coming out of this area in the future...possibly even one or two NBA players...

Reply #204172 | Report this post

acouth  
Years ago

I won't let you get away with misconstrued thoughts: I saw coach Smith today at the PCYC and asked him for a list of kids that he had helped and their circumstances. Here are some of the kids that he rattled off but then had to get back to practice. As I get more I will help you avoid the appearance of ignorance.
Luke Martin: University of Texas El Paso
Clint Reed: Coastal Carolina University
Anthony Susnjara: Coastal Carolina University
Steve Leven: Wyoming University
Martin Iti: New Mexico State University
Rueben Vesmadian: Fresno State University
Majok Chol: Juco in Ohio
Andrew Tran: Salem International University
James Wang: Williams College (passed up D1 offer to Nichols State for better academics  advised by Coach Smith
Femi Akinpetide: University of Missouri Kansas City
Mathiang Muo: Quinnipiac University
Eban Hymes: Juco in Georgia playing pro overseas
Aleks Maric: University of Nebraska  was only at the AIS for 4 month to play in World Championships. Taken directly from Coach Smith's program for the World Championships and then placed in Life Center in NJ by Nebraska. AIS had nothing to do with the majority of his development but give him a platform to showcase the skills that Coach Smith developed. He will say what is politically correct but we have the video and picture evidence from our academy.
Ater Majok: UCONN

All of these kids trained with coach Smith and the majority of them were placed in high schools on scholarships of over US $25,000 per year. Coach Smith provided them with the right placement through his development and contacts. Look out for kids like Scott Watson (just won 2 mvp's at camps in US), Majok Majok, and Aru Kok among others. You will find other people trying to claim credit for coach Smith's work but ask the kids and their families who benefited. Most likely you did not hear about these kids because many were not part of the local basketball ITC development system, do not have your common Australian last name, or were not part of your friendship network. But I guess you are still smarter than the hall of fame coaches and scouting agencies in the US. You probably advised the Brisbane Bullets, the Sydney Kings, and the Singapore Slings to their recent success.

Reply #204211 | Report this post

jaxx  
Years ago

acouth -

umm...who are you referring to?

Reply #204280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these articles seem to appear once a month, and are about the same thing, written by the same person, Mike Hurst.

maybe if all this talk was coming from different places, it would be a bit more reputable.

Reply #204284 | Report this post

acouth  
Years ago

jaxx, I am not refering to your post. The post above you makes a silly inference :"has been able to field 17 Australians in US colleges" - that's just straight out BS. I am on these people and not letting them get away without actual FACTS.

your comments are supportive and you obviously recognize potential. You are right on point when you say if we had more coaches that taught the fundamentals, like coach Smith, in our area the possibilities are endless.
I watched the Olympics and all things being fundamentally equal, athleticism becomes the prevailing factor.
I think Australia has a shot with Patrick Mills, Joe Ingles(sp), Nathan Jawai, Bogut as a good young crop and if Ater continues his development as well as Andrew Ogilvy, Aron Baynes, and look out for Femi Akinpetide at UMKC (you heard it here first). You have some young legs who can get out and run with Mills.

Reply #204385 | Report this post

ballislife  
Years ago

acouth,

do u knw hw i can get into contact with coach smith by any chance?

Thanks

Reply #238051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh snap!
Shows if they just don't rate all that's left for them is to hate.

Acouth, bravo!!!
Coach Smith, bravo !!!
Ater Majok, bravo the newest Boomer !!!

Reply #255846 | Report this post

hoops2423  
Years ago

hey n e one got coach smiths contact details?

Reply #259141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754