Quagmire
Years ago

Rumour- AK-47 to head home

http://linky.com.au/5iofh

Just a rumour, read through the comments, can't seem to find out for sure the legalities...

I think the jazz would help him pack and shuttle him to the airport for sure.

The money to come off the books would be used to shore up Boozer and Okur, even Korver would get to stay. With Almond, Miles and Brewer developing along with Korver and Harp, would the jazz miss AK at all?

The big question really is if he will ever play to the level he did pre D-Will to Booze...

Topic #17377 | Report this topic

SKUX101  
Years ago

Don't think this will happen at all. He still has a contract with the Jazz ongoing, and I doubt it CSKA would buyout that contract then offer AK a new contract to rival his NBA Contract. Sure CSKA has alot of money, but we are talking seriously crazy figures here.
I understand he has had problems with Jazz in the past, but come on. The Jazz are still a highly successful team with stars such as D-Will,Boozer and up and coming youngsters like Brewer,Almond etc.

I think that if AK does leave it shows he is too much of an individual with none or limited team spirit. Sure things may not be going well for him as in he isn't playing well, but he is earning top dollar and he is on a very good team who will most certainly make the playoffs in 08-09.

Reply #204460 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Legalities: FIBA and the NBA recognise each other's contracts, so he can't just go to Europe, FIBA would not allow him to play. This is different from Childress, who could go to Greece because he was a RFA, but had no NBA contract.

Thus, AK can't go to Europe for three years unless he agrees to a buyout of his NBA contract. Well, in theory the Jazz could just waive him, but they'd still owe him his full salary, and this would count against their cap. Both figures would be reduced depending on how much his new contract with CSKA pays him (the amount reduced being calculated thus: [CSKA contract amount - NBA Veteran's minimum] / 2). If they buyout his contract, the buyout figure just becomes his new base contract amount and salary cap amount, and would also be adjusted by what CSKA pays. Note that (1) given he would still be owed money by the Jazz, CSKA would not necessarily have to offer him a lot of money to make it worth his while and (2) because what CSKA pays does not reduce the Jazz liability on a dollar-for-dollar basis, AK could earn MORE money by doing this!!

AK could agree to as little as a $0 buyout, which is what Derek Fisher did. However, like Fisher, AK could then sign with whoever he wanted - which means he could do a CJ Bruton and get lost on the way to Europe and sign with another team in the NBA.

Reply #204476 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I wouldn't discount it. If anyone on here follows Russian football, they'd know that sports in Russia atm are a billionaires' paradide. Crazy sums of money thrown around - only problem is, players don't want to go there (climate!) - but money talks.

Reply #204527 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Russian Brides will do it to you all the time

Sputnick Syndrome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Reply #204571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754