Spinner
Years ago

Brett's 500th game

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I though the game last Friday was Brett's 498th. It is a real shame that the two games against Sydney can't be swapped around so that Brett would have his 500th at home.

Didn't the Sixers swap game for a similar reason for Andrew Gaze?

Topic #17412 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

It is a shame. The game originally would have been this Wednesday as we were meant to have our first away game last weekend.

It also mean we wont be able to celebrate it until like his 504th game with the tema not back at home for a month.

I think our last two 500 gamers in Copes and Reesy had their games away as well.

Reply #204847 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

skip, i know its not your job any more, but some sort of banner would be ideal for the home game to recognise it, albeit for 504 :)

or a shit load of maher mask like they did for the big fella, i had a complete wall in the store room at work with rees heads on it, i rekon about 200 of them gave my staff the creeps

Reply #204853 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'll see what I can do. Might look into getting some competition organised for the best Banner celebrating Mahers 500th at the next home game in October.

Reply #204858 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

sounds good, mate.

exciting times , trying to find a betting agency where i can put some dosh on bruce for ROY

Reply #204860 | Report this post

the doc  
Years ago

I am not a big basketball fan of the NBL at all, although my son told me about this website as he plays district basketbal. Anyway, in regards to Mahers 500th game and the thought of swapping the venue, to me that just seems totally absurb. Don't get me wrong great player, great person, great ambassedor for the sport. As with Andrew Gaze, an absolute champion and credit to the game.

But to think that they swapped a venue (I'm assuming we are talking interstate as well) to honour this milestone raises many questions IMO. Of course you want to see these players honoured infront of their homecrowd and fans, but the notion of swapping a venue is a little extreme. This would never happen in other elite sports surely, such as the AFL. I believe the opposing side would be at a very unfair advantage. What if it had been a make or break game for the sixers when they swapped venues for Andrew Gaze? Do they really want to fly to Melbourne to play against a pumped up Tigers team and plenty of screaming fans who want to do it for Gaze?

As I said, it is a fair show of respect for such players and maybe there are finacial incentitives for teams to swap venues for such reasons in a competition that does not generate much revenue from my understanding. Maybe I'm being a little harsh or do not fully understand how the competition operates, but I could never imagine the Crows wanting to travel to Skilled Stadium to honour an Ablett milestone game. A player's 500th game or any other milestone game should be honoured as such, or as pot luck whether it be at home or away, I just feel it's manipulating the game by changing the venue. If the sixers want to honour Maher, then they will give it their all be at home or away and fans will get on board in whatever way they can.

Reply #204869 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

The NBL should have seen this coming and scheduled the 6ers' 3rd game at home.

doc, I kinda agree with you. Although a similar thing does happen in the AFL with the Dogs selling several home games and playing in Darwin/Canberra. I guess money's more important than a milestone.

Reply #204876 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

They did as Skip mentioned a last minute change to the schedule is what is now making it an away game.

As for thedoc's post I'm sure alot of 'elite sports' do try and schedule these things at the 'home court' however swapping venue's wouldnt happen.

And it wasn't really a disadvantage as they swapped 2 games home/away so they didnt lose out on a home game by doing it the dates just swapped around as to which clash was home and which was away.

Reply #204877 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DJ, that's what I was thinking. It wasn't just a case of taking advantage of a home game but also paying it back. To honour a player like Maker is showing the respect he deserves as well as emphasising the eliteness of the game, so the doc, I do not agree with you. How can you respect the eliteness of the game if you don't respect the player that makes it that. 500 games is pretty impressive and changing the venue of the game for it is not a lot to ask. I do think however that the 36ers admin should have planned this well in advance to make it possible. There's a lot of changes to be made like venue bookings, accommodation, flights etc and you can't do it at the last minute.

Reply #204881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In all due respect to Brett but his past few seasons (hopefully not this one) has seen him miss games thru injury.

If admin had planned for him to have a home game and requested it then he missed it thru injury he would then play it possibly away from home.

Nothing at times goes to plan. Wherever he plays it. It will be a great achievement and I am sure the crowd will respect him wherever he may play that particular milestone.

Reply #204911 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

#204911, his 500th game is the 3rd game in the season. Chances are he won't have played enough to endure an injury so soon. Besides, he plays a different role now that won't put as much pressure on him.

Reply #205037 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

"Besides, he plays a different role now that won't put as much pressure on him."

Thanks to the recruiting by Ninnis hey EC?

Reply #205040 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

skip, I'll pay you that one.

Reply #205065 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754