curtley
Years ago

i'm too dumb to think of a topic name.....

Questions regarding the 'New' NBL

1. Who are the panel of eight who are the ones in charge of taking the new league in a better direction?

2. Ive seen it said that an 8 team league would be ideal by Worhtington (not that his opinion is important) and someone else (can't remeber who). Isn't that a bit ridiculous, i mean youd have to think cairns, adelaide, townsville, tigers, sydney team, another QLD team, perth would all be locks if the league were to go that way, so does this mean the dragons, hawks, breakers etc are just gonna get kicked out of the league? If so my appreciation of the nbl would go lower than it currently is (off the court) and this would generate yet more bad publicity for the league with more teams leaving.

3. this so called asian premier league in 2010 sounds a bit silly too. The wooden spoon favourites Sydney 'Lacks' Spirit played a japanese team (which as far as i know pays its players similarly to here) in a pre season comp and killed them. Cant the NBL sell say 3 licences to teams to start up in asia, like in Manilla, Singapore would rejoin league, Taiwan, hong kong, guam, KL, jakarta, whatever. Fill these teams up with the best asian talent available, player drain wouldnt be bad, plus asia is the biggest boom area for basketball.

12 teams in oz & NZ and 4 in asia seems fairly straight forward to me. The NBL cannot simply do what the A'league did and hope crowds increase 3 fold with less teams.

4. The NBL publicly stated that its going to suddenyly spend money on promotion - well done for the person who came up with that idea, this 'magical idea' shows how much this league has been run by chimps for so long.

5. Any news on change of season, length of season, length of games, import restrictions, salary cap etc?

Lotsa love Curtley

Topic #17418 | Report this topic

HAHA  
Years ago

Excellent post Curtley.
Unsure about the panel of 8, but as mentioned before after attending the Bullets relaunch function that Harmison was also present for, they did confirm that owners cannot be on the board- I know at least that much is true at this point because a girl pointed it out in Q&A and they wholeheartedly agreed it has caused problems that are very difficult to address and trouble-shoot once they are elected.

As for Worthington's 8 team opinion, I agree it's a bit rich- they did say at the meeting that it's going to be solid dollars and solid projected capital being available that would determine entry into the 'new' league- they did say that they will not consider teams that do not have the long-term finances to be there, so it's going to be interesting to see how they are going to address that, because there are some teams that are hugely popular with loyal fans but may not necessarily have the numbers or excessive dollars that will be gutted if they are not in the new league.
Personally, I don't want to see any of the existing team fold but will be great to have the Bullets back (despite our opinions, they are good for the league and they definately have some parochial fans up there that are still hurting right now- that was quite evident on Thursday night) as well as a more solid Kings outfit.

I agree that expanding to places like the Phillippines would be a good idea- they have traditionally produced rather small, fast and stocky players but there are some big boys coming out of there in recent years- they are definately talented with the ball.

Change of season:
they did mention they would like to get it back to a winter sport- I am undecided as to if that would work right now going head to head with stronger sports in the mind of the general public until the NBL fixes existing issues that have been outlined by the review.
I think there are bigger problems for them to address than the winter vs summer topic for them.

Salary Cap:
To be increased to $3million.
I thought $2million was generous but the marked increase could be in line with anticipating more funds for Asian imports etc and a little breathing space.
They didn't mention anything about the points cap etc- the meeting was rather brief but so many questions still left that there wasn't time for at that stage.
Hopefully it won't be long before we get more solid clarification on the questions in between!

Reply #204913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754