Isaac
Years ago

NBL hypothetical - Queensland teams

(No idea if this is on the cards, but it could be a possibility and I was curious as to what justification people might have for retaining or dumping teams. I'm not intending to scare fans of any Queensland teams here.)

If you were looking for a ten-team NBL, but the composition of the league meant that you could only justify three teams in Queensland, what would you do?

At stake, in my opinion, would be the three teams playing in 08/09 - Cairns, Townsville, and Gold Coast - plus the recently-dead-but-likely-hoping-to-return Brisbane Bullets.

Would you keep the current three, but go without a side in the state capital? Would you drop big-money Cairns and let Brisbane back in? Would you lose the consistent Crocs? Or reluctantly remove the Blaze, despite them being in a growth area?

Topic #17470 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

I think you have to treat them all as equal and base it on their applications. That could mean that all 4 teams are included or it could mean that only 2 are.

The commision cant play Mr Nice Guy with this at all.
I think they need to make the requirements hard but fair and if a team doesnt meet them, it will be a shame, but the league will be healthier for it.

Reply #205431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

But will it? If that commission had chosen teams prior to last year, Brisbane would've been in for sure, and one of the others might've missed out. And the end result sees the FNQ teams trundling along, the Blaze getting reasonable crowds last year despite an average team, and Brisbane disappearing.

Could a team that's based in Townsville but plays 5-6 games in Cairns work? (Or vice-versa?)

Would you keep all four QLD teams, but lose Wollongong or New Zealand? (Though I think the NBL has indicated that NZ are safe.)

I think there's no question that a revamped NBL simply cannot keep the amateur Spirit in the competition, and that the Kings should ideally return. You'd expect them to want Brisbane back (as much as they say they'll take applications on their merits).

Personally, I think Wollongong could be out.

Reply #205434 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Are you sure NZ are safe? The report I read a day or two ago didnt have NZ in there. Need to go and find it now.

Reply #205437 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I want the Brisbane Bullets to return.

Gold Coast is growing + having Heal's will draw fans even if its to boo the crap out of him.

Merge the Cairns & Townsville and make it a North Queensland team like the NRL Cowboys.

Reply #205456 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

from someone who lives in Townsville and has for 29 years - the 1 year of my life I haven't lived here was in Cairns...

There is such a hatred between the 2 cities from both sides and from almost EVERYONE in both places that this would NEVER EVER work!

We'll see how our crowd figure ends up on Saturday night but Cairns have been struggling a bit lately.

I have a feeling the Taipans are already in a bit of trouble - let alone getting into the new league.

PLUS - the ownership structure for the new league is based on the Townsville model - MANY shareholders sharing the profit and loss, so if one pulls out unexpectedly, there are 50 to back them up... unlike the Eddy Goves saga.

SO... why would they kick out the model program? They will need the Crocs around to share information and strategies.

Reply #205484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good insight DJRod. I've long suspected that Cairns' money could have a limited lifespan. Great now while they're spending up on the roster, but not sure if it would outlast the current owner.

Reply #205511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

John Rillie's posted his comment on this topic - suggests that Cairns should get cut.

Reply #205526 | Report this post

darwin  
Years ago

Which came first?

Boti's article or this post?

Reply #205536 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Being a Brisbane supporter, I'd of course like to see the Bullets return. But if it came down to the decision of only having three QLD teams, there's no way Cairns, Townsville of the Goldie should be left out in favour of Brisbane returning. They have proven to be viable (well Goldie has thus far) and they should be rewarded justly.

Reply #205596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754