Isaac
Years ago

NBL replacement league could have 8 teams

Spotted this in a Herald Sun article today:

The recommendation, which has come from the review of basketball in Australia and will be considered by stakeholders and administrators, is for the new league to have just eight teams in its first season, growing to 10 by the third season.
It suggests that the league would aim for representation in as many states as possible, but would likely allow for a New Zealand-based team also.

This would certainly mean trouble for Wollongong in my opinion, at least a couple of the Queensland clubs too, and possibly one of the Melbourne teams (how would you feel if you were Cowan?).

You'd guess that sides in Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney would be very likely. That makes four. NZ gives five. Brisbane would be ideal, so that takes it to six and leaves a couple of spots. Maybe a second Melbourne side, and a FNQ or Gold Coast side? Losing out in that case would be Wollongong and two QLD teams.

Topic #17480 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh sounds very interesting.

My pick for what the 8 teams would look like are:

1. Adelaide
2. Melbourne Tigers
3. Sydney
4. Brisbane
5. Perth Wildcats
6. New Zealand Breakers
7. FNQ
8. 2nd Melbourne team

I really don't know how they'd go with FNQ though. You can't merge Cairns and Townsville - the rivalry there is so good that neither supporter is going to swap and support the other team.

Gold Coast is positioned too close to Brisbane, however if they're drawing crowds, perhaps they keep their team and there is no new Brisbane team.

Seems unfair to give a licence to GC and then take it away cause management decide to get their butts into gear. How long is the GC license for, anyone know?

Reply #205512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least they'll all make the finals!

Reply #205513 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think from a fans point of view, 8 teams would be fantasic. Each team would play each other 4 times & the teams would all be quite deep.
A lot of jobs lost and a lot of heartbreak however would be endured from a players/team staff point of view.

Reply #205514 | Report this post

K - Dizzle  
Years ago

Leave Cairns and Townsville and axe Brisbane. Im pretty sure both these teams would pull higher crouds than the 'bullets' or whatever.. . Heres an idea ..do some research and pick the 8 teams with the highest home attendance average over the last 3yrs or 5 yrs or something. And why does Sydney need a team,I dont think passionate fans exist over there. no-one in sydney gives a toss about the NBL... The new league needs to consist of teams who have strong fanbases , teams who have stadiums over 70% full every game. it makes cents to me.

peace.

Reply #205517 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

K-Dizzle - that rules out the sixers then. We have probably only had over 70% a couple of times in the last 2 seasons.

Reply #205518 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I reckon 10 is right but switch the Gong with Brisbane.

Every major city has shown that it can support a team bar Sydney. Even then you could say that hey they got 10,000 to a final last year which shows that people will come to a game if you give them good enough reason to.

I like the idea of a GC v Brisbane rivalry as well as Townsville and Cairns.

It would be silly to pull out of these markets (FNQ and the GC) when other sports are expanding into them.

IMO you would do more damage than good buy amalgamating 2 FNQ teams. It is not working in Sydney for the same reason as the existing Kings fans are not supporting the Razorbacks / Spirit.

Can you imagine what would happen here if the AFL told the Crows and Port that they had top amalgamate. You would upset almost every fan, so why do it to 2 succesful clubs?

Reply #205519 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think you would be a bit silly to get rid on the QLD teams, Cairns and Townsville especially as don't they get some of the best crowds in the country?

Perth would be a lock and also Adelaide, I think NZL is necessary and appear financially strong enough.

I'd look at leaving a Sydney team out in the first season and really market and try and build a base in Sydney ready for the second year.

Reply #205520 | Report this post

K - Dizzle  
Years ago

Skip , u r right.. forget that 70% part it was a silly way to get my point across..(especially since we have a 7800 seat stadium) . Have the Sixers had the highest attendances in the league over the last 3yrs even 5years though ? if not they must be second in that category. U feelin me? :).. btw, great job at the games, you can realy notice the changes on game night, you and everyone involved keep up the great work!

Reply #205521 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I personally think they should leave it at 10, and give all the current clubs a chance to be in the league, sure if say a Spirit cant afford to spend the $1m cap and things like that drop them out and give someone else the opportunity to take there spot, eg the kings.
I personally think its stupid to ax say Cairns and Townsville, who both have solid clubs and good following and have ivested alot in their local areas.
Also imagine Cowans reaction if they were to say 1 melbourne team only and the Dragons are axed, after all the money he has spent in marketing the club, etc (unlike many others) i think he deserves to keep his team, and 2 teams in melbourne is a good thing IMO.
So personally i would keep the Current teams, say if the Spirit or Hawks cant meet the requirements then go to 8 or look to bring in the Kings and Bullets in to replace them.
I personally think the best way to go would be to leave the 10 in, the guys who want to bring back the kings get them involved with the spirit and even change the name back to the kings if required and just grow what they have set up and just 1 good solid sydney team, with everyone who wants a team in sydney using there resources to make it work!
If they want the Bullets in they should make it 11 teams, there are still plenty of decent Aussies without NBL contracts eg Kendall, Mottram, etc and guys who could play bigger roles eg Ben Knight, plus some new young guys and imports, i reckon there is enough talent out there to support 11 teams, with a top 5 or 6 format, thats how it should go IMO.
Why kill off good teams like the Crocs, Taipans and Dragons just for the sake of change!

Reply #205522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand where Grantley Bernard (link) is coming from by speculating that one of the Melbourne based clubs will go (Dragons or Tiger) when the NBL revamp the league but in my option that not feasible. I highly doubt the NBL would remove one of its biggest draw cards in the Victorian derby just so they could have 2 sides in far North Queensland sides. Cairns and Brisbane will come back into the league, but just not right away. In my opinion the initial 8 teams (first 8 in the list) will come from the 5 main states of Australia and one from New Zealand. If the article is to be believed and they ill look at expanding before the 3rd year  this is when i can see the Brisbane Bullets and Cairns Taipans coming back into the league.

1. Melbourne tigers
2. South dragons
3. Perth Wildcats
4. Adelaide36ers
5. Gold Coast Blaze
6. Sydney kings
7. Townsville crocs
8. New Zealand Breakers
-------------------------------------------------------
9. Cairns Taipans (2010)
10. Brisbane Bullets (not before 2011)

i guess you could ask the question; why did i give Sydney a berth in the new league over the already and ever popular Cairns Taipans? The report stipulates that all 8 states and territories should be represented and in basketball circles the Sydney Kings are one of the biggest and best brands this codes has ever had and with the support of Mike Wrublewski and Dwayne "The D-Train" McClain the Sydney Kings could be a major force again in this new league. i still have strong reservations regarding the long term viability surrounding the Sydney Spirit working. And with a large black financial cloud still hanging over Wollongong head, their future in any league will remain uncertain. Unfortunately with there being only 8 teams to start off with means some have to go, Wollongong are one of the unlucky ones.

Reply #205523 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

wouldn't a 9 team league be the right fit

8 opponents
32 games
2 home and 2 away against each team
possibly only paying each team 3 times for 24 games

Perth
Adelaide
Melbourne
South
Sydney
GC
Brisbane
Townsville
NZ

sounds too easy because when Woll/CNS are ready with their ownership structure... hey can make an 11 team league with 30 games.

Reply #205524 | Report this post

The start will be Gold Coast out as will Sydney Spirit and maybe even Hawks next year .

Then the year after Bullets and Kings will be back .

Reply #205535 | Report this post

Hoop Fiend  
Years ago

All current 10 clubs have managed to survive in spite of the current NBL management. That alone should mean they have a robust business model and they should therefore be allowed to continue, although i am not really sure how the Spirit are faring at the moment.

8 clubs to me sounds like too small and boring a competition. Too little variety of styles of play, only 16 imports displaying their skills... it just does not sound good to me.

Why should the review be predominately about the clubs? maybe the fault is elsewhere? like the overriding NBL management or the scheduling? When the season is? Television?

Reply #205539 | Report this post

capper  
Years ago

10 teams with a top 5

Reply #205543 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Bring back the Brisbane Bullets, I am still mourning there loss.

Reply #205551 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

gotta have 2 melbourne teams

Reply #205580 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Only way this will work is if they give it the deserved attention it will need in lead up to season... as for the club selections...

MUST HAVES (supporters in place along with some marketing power as well):
Adelaide
Melbourne
South Melbourne
Perth
Gold Coast
NZ
Cairns and/or Townsville

Possibly in the future:
Brisbane
Sydney

Brissy and Sydney didn't pull crowds, so no point giving them another shot infront of teams who do.

The time of season will need to be looked at, not to mention getting rid of salary cap. We need to attract some players who are well known such as Shawn Kemp or someone like him who are "over the hill" but able to compete in our league and pull some heads out to the games

Reply #205605 | Report this post

Someone should approach MJ and see if he wants to play a couple of games. He probably wouldnt do it, but why not.

Reply #205616 | Report this post

sadsd  
Years ago

nbl players need to get more athletic

Reply #206675 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

1. Ricey is still talking crap- I guess he can't read.
2. Chuck will never allow his old club to fold- even if the only crowds they can get at the Gong is the players themselves.
3. 8 team league is unconscionable.
4. Wortho is a d***head for pushing other players to push for this with him.
5. The argument that if you get the most financial clubs to stay and ditch the others has no wings- as mentioned, that would force us out.
6. Some clubs have a huge fan base but are not making money.
7. Some clubs have money but do not pull crowds.

You cannot solve point 7 with a one size fits all mentality- the money clubs bring in cannot rightly be used as criteria to stay or go, becuase it is not looking at the facts properly.
Different criteria needs to be used.

Reply #206680 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

They paid how much money to receive a report that replaced the word soccer?

Reply #206690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fm, soccer has a large following both in players and more importantly spectators. Basketball just does not have the base on which to build a truly viable business upon. All the reports in the world on reform won't help unless they address the issues of a baseline bum's on seats figure and design a plan to achieve it.

Reply #206691 | Report this post

Jess  
Years ago

Hayden, so your saying if Melb was to stay with one team in the comp, it would be the team which has no championships to it's name and no history behind it. Not going to happen. The Tigers have got Tradition, History and most importantly a bigger fan base.

as for 8 teams I would have:

Adelaide
Melb Tigers
Perth
Townsville
Cairns
New Zealand
Bullets
Hobart/Canberra

I would try revive a team which died a while ago now before trying again in Sydney, because it may pay off and would then be a truly National Basketball League. I think at the moment it's a bit of a joke when not all states/major cities have teams and we are called a national comp.
if not I would put in a team from Sydney and rename them the Kings as it is a name of which many Sydney basketball fans relate to and remember, thus easier to market.

The reason why I would not have a second Melb team is that Melb has a way of embracing new teams and then forgetting about them I.e. Victoria Giants. I fear that the same could happen to the Dragons who were created because of the pull of fans who once supported the Giants. where as the Tigers have a strong and loyal fan base which has stood the test of time.

Reply #210761 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Anon- your comments about soccer over basketball is just proof that you haven't even read the review let alone it's statistics.
As for the bickering about Vic teams having more right to be there than another Vic club down the road- at least many other clubs aren't just a hybrid mix of some Vic team that folded or amalgamated 5 mins before.
These other clubs, that have been around for a long time and have tradition and history are entitled to our respect.

Reply #210765 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754