ron burgundy
Years ago

Locked: no sturt players in Lightning strike squad

see everyone but sturt has players in this development squad.

?

Topic #17497 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obviously they were not invited the 18's team was the best team when playing as a team and had no real outstanding players but a good overall team. Also all the players chosen i beleive have played ABA at some point but not 100% sure on that

Reply #205700 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Are you sure that the kid invited to the AIS selection camp isn't good enough? Who also, by the way, played an ABA game this year and scored 16 pts.

Or the kid who was the 2nd leading scorer at the Classics!

Or the U20 State player, who played a major role in the ABA final!

Instead, we get players from clubs who have never got close to a U20 State Teams, but played 5 minutes ABA. Kids who managed 1 point in the U18 Grand Final. And kids making the team because their father will then provide good press exposure.

Reply #205706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that Sturt girls where invited but their clubs coaching management probably advised the kids not to take it up because they didnt believe in it.Also you had to be no longer at sasi and not been offered further development elsewhere.
But dont let that stop you bagging the kids that did take up the invitation

Reply #205709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vincent
Maybe Lightning should run all their selections past Sturt in future like BSA does.

Reply #205711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Invited to teh AIS selection camp, she may have been invited, but chose not to accepted. Just like a forestville player did. I must agree i was surprised the under 20 state player wasn't chosen and probably deserved to be.

Also the only player who played in the under 18 GF who was selected managed to be comfortably top scorer for her team and socred i think it was 10 points in the first quarter.

Reply #205715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops my mistake, the other player 18 player you were talking about sorry. She doesn't deserve to be in there, has not done anything in 18's lately, did nothing at state and doesn't play defence

Reply #205716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't a sturt player invited but god disagreed with the selection and vetoed it, thus no representative?

Reply #205720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find Sturt are so sure their program is better than anything the Lightning will offer that a certain someone at Sturt convinced their juniors not to be involved.

Instead of having a dig at the Lightning for offering an opportunity to develop skills to s range of junior basketballers why not look at where the problem actually is.

As far as Sturt are concerned Junior Basketball in SA is all about Sturt. No one else has a clue, even the Lightning.

Reply #205724 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

anon #205709, anon #205715

Not true, there is an U17 player in the squad who is still in SASI next year. And the player in question was not invited. Not a stab at the kids, why would they not take it up, good opportunity. Just poor selection, was there any criteria?

Reply #205726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vincent,
If sturt says they are all rubbish and don't deserve their selections, it must be so.

Reply #205728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the under 17 player or from what club?

Reply #205731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richards, Southern

Reply #205732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U18 southern girl who tragically did her knee and probably will miss the April Nationals because of it. So her selection makes perfect sense.

Reply #205733 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

How does somebody who cant train, make perfect sense. Even though she is an outstanding player, why not give that opportunity to somebody who can train?

Reply #205739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have on good advice this under 17 player H.Richards was invited by the lighting coach to attend the strike squad, they will help her through her rehab.
The same as what SASI are doing for her.
Not playing summer but hopes to be ready for next winter!

Reply #205743 | Report this post

...v interesting  
Years ago

if they are u18s - mavericks and centrals only have div 2 as the highest and they have 1 player each in - not sure even if mavs and centrals had any u21 teams???

Reply #205746 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"How does somebody who cant train, make perfect sense. Even though she is an outstanding player, why not give that opportunity to somebody who can train?"

Good Question - Can someone please elaborate on this? If SASI/State/Lightning Squad kids cant train for injuries eg out for 3+months whilst they are rehabilitating are spots their spots held purely for them or is another kid given the opportunity in the mean time?

Reply #205749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never thought I'd read a thread with so many sturt tears on the pages.

Reply #205756 | Report this post

Years ago

Who cares.

Reply #205762 | Report this post

(#205749), what is your beef? seriously do you have an issue with a kid getting a spot in the strike squad because she's injured?

I suggest you consider your values and i also ask these two questions:

1 - Who should take Hannah's place?
2 - Have you ever seen her play ABA?

Hannah's ABA STATS:
5 Games (15.01 mpg)
31 points(6.2 ppg)
16pts,4 rebs,3 blks in 19:22m vs F/ville(ABA Debut)
7 blocks (1.4 bpg)
6 steals (1.2 spg)

Reply #205766 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"touchy touchy" No beef dont even know any of the kids being spoken about on here - just asking a damn question which I was hoping someone with some brains would answer -

I ask again - If SASI/State/Lightning Squad kids cant train for injuries eg out for 3+months whilst they are rehabilitating are their spots held purely for them or is another kid given the opportunity in the mean time?

It is a fair question and it is not saying that the kids that are their having rehab shouldn't be there - just wanting to know if someone else also gets an opportunity.

PS my values are just fine perhaps you should ask yourself why you are getting your knickers in a knot over a fairly straightforward question.

Reply #205776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guards in the strike squad are probably better than in the lightning team. I mean Williams, how embarrassing!!!! They are going to get hammered this year

Reply #205812 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Pickles,

Again, yes she is an outsanding player. But what can the Lightning do to help her development while she is injured or even her rehab? All she will be doing is sitting around watching training, getting bored. So when she starts training, she will get burnt out quicker due to mental fatigue.

Reply #205858 | Report this post

Camel 66  
Years ago

I have spent the last hour trying to find info on the Strike squad and it seems that apart from one article in The Advertiser the most I can find is right here on HoopsSA.

I was hoping to find answers to the following questions at least?

What is the aims of the Strike Squad?
Who is in it? (I found this in The Advertiser)
What does the Squad do?

I would have thought that it would be on the Lightning web site but I couldn't find it there.

So my conclusion is that it seems to be an attempt to copy the 36ers Academy program primarily for public relations purposes.

No wonder Sturt probably want to see it in action before advising any players to commit to it.

If anyone from the Lightning could enlighten us on what the squad aims to accomplish (apart from PR) then please feel free to post this information.

Reply #205867 | Report this post

Twigs  
Years ago

vincent...do u have any idea about how coming back from an injury works?

she wouldnt just be sitting on the sideline, she'd probably be doing light training stuff where possible and other physio work then gradually be brought back into the trainings.

maybe you should just accept that there aren't any sturt players in the squad, whether through lack of invitation (which i doubt) or because they turned it down (likely). bitchin about it on here aint gonna change anything.

Reply #205994 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

I'm not God.

Reply #206013 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754