LA Boy
Years ago

Sports on FTA TV...

right, I'm currently watching NFL on Channel 10HD and thinking why do they show this game something that's HARDLY played in Australia instead of basketball, the most played sport in the country. I mean who know what they'll do when NBA season starts however I highly doubt they'll show it.

PS don't get me wrong, I love football

Topic #17590 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only reason I can think of is they'd have pay too much cash to get the rights. Hopefully one of the channels can put it on but until that day theres always torrents.

Reply #206661 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

yeah well that's what I'm relying on the torrents. However, the last NFL Final was apparently one of the most watched event around the globe (but probably not Australia) with the most expensive ads, therefore more expensive rights to show on TV also. So don't see how the money work there. NBA should cost them less!

Reply #206665 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Its a topic that is often discussed.

The globalisation of the NBA has simply outpriced the FTA networks here in Australia. Its a simple formula the networks use: Revenue from advertisers - cost of product = profit or loss.
Right now there is not enough corporate sponsorship via advertising in Australia to convince a FTA network to broadcast games. Then they have to decide on a timeslot that will appeal to advertisers. Primetime is out as it will not rate well enough, and not attract advertising. Off peak is more likely, but then advertising rates drop dramatically and the cots of the NBA broadcast remains the same.

How did we see it in the past? The NBA rated enough that it attracted advertising, and the NBA was still an affordable product. Unfortunately, one factor has risen, and the other dropped considerbaly.

The other factorr to consider with FTA networks is scheduling. It would have to replace a current event or program, that most likely costs next to nothing to broadcast - and attracts advertising.

(Mod: Have made bold the line that I think makes a particularly succinct point.)

Reply #206667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very informative and well written, deserves a ball.

Reply #206668 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So, why NFL? How many Australians are interested in it?

Reply #206670 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Loving it - except for the fact most of it is on when I'm at work.

Reply #206672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is freeview still coming to Aus in the future? If so, when?

Reply #206674 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I watched a half of the NFL yesterday and enjoyed it. It just sucks that I can't watch more as it's always shown when i'm @ work.

Sadly watching sports doesn't pay and work has to win.

Reply #206684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah love it but have got the vcr (god thats old) taping the 3 games a week. Ten have the superball thats why they are showing the NFL this year, i hope they keep it going as its good to have something different on digital channels.

Reply #206686 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

It is indeed unusual for a FTA network to pick up 3 (almost) live NFL games per week, and then only broadcast them on the HD channel, which only reaches realistically 25% of the market. (Probably more like 10% of homes with HD reception + required hardware).

Perhaps the NFL has rated quite well on Foxtel, and SBS showing the Superbowl has attracted solid ratings. 10 has then probably purchased the rights to the Superbowl, and then packaged in the regular season either very cheaply, or as some deal with the NFL. Unfortuantely this is all only speculation, and the only real answers lie with the network execs themselves.

Perhaps 10 received the NFL as part of a greater package including other US TV shows - or in exchange for Australian productions - is the AFL broadcast in the US?

Reply #206688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know if the AFL is shown in the U.S but i have found out that it is loved and watched heavily in South Africa, just an interesting fact i thought i would point out.

Reply #206698 | Report this post

hjghjh  
Years ago

I've only seen 1 game of the NFL and I thought it was really boring. Too many stoppages and breaks...

Reply #206701 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

no, AFL isn't showed in the states...same with Issac, I just don't understand why they show it here instead of basketball. I can't see NBA costing more, even if that's the case not that much more anyway. And I would imagine it to have a higher rating than NFL just because basketball's the more popular sport.

Reply #206707 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Its due to the fact they have the superball this year, they got them as a package i guess and and showing them to build some following. I think its a great thing that they are showing the games, sure i would like the NBA but if thats not possible NFL is the next best thing.

Reply #206713 | Report this post

Cusco  
Years ago

Would the cost of broadcasting the NBA playoffs alone be more than the regular season, or does channel 10 have to get one to get the other?

Reply #206715 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

it is actually called the 'superbowl' not the superball.

Reply #206723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Channel Ten are showing more sports, including the netball (with Luke Darcy and Ellis as commentators).

I wouldn't be suprised to see Channel Ten showing the NewBL, especially with the ability to have a second channel to fill in 2009. Although right now the netball is being shown at 11 PM, i don't see how much they get out of it, Fox Sports would have been much better.

Reply #206724 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Actually LA Boy, AFL is shown in the US. On Pay-TV (Setanta), but it is still on over there.

Reply #206730 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Sounds to me like Ten is laying the groundwork for the rumoured FTA sports channel which I have heard discussed elsewhere. Accumulating rights and events for a wide range of sports which can fill a 24/7 FTA sports channel (ABC is supposed to be doing a kids channel, 9 an Australian/drama channel and 7 a different genre altogether).

NFL sure fills a lot of time (about 4 hours per game with pre-game etc) and with a smaller following in Australia, the rights may actually be cheaper than the NBA rights (which is desperate to take over the world and so perhaps sees itself as globally desirable).

Makes Ten a possible (though unlikely) destination for the NewNBL next year on FTA (maybe as a joint venture with Fox as per the 9 re-hash last season).

Suspect Ten using HD is trying to build audience for this sports channel and improve penetration of HD by playing with content to see what will draw viewers to move to HD platform.

Just trying to join some very faint dots!

Reply #206740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The themed channels were discussed but i don't think it is going ahead, Channel Ten are happy to do their own thing and without Ten, Nine and Seven won't even consider working together to share content. I believe Seven wanted a lifestyle channel.

I honestly don't think we can get any better then the Wednesday night live, thursday night and saturday night live basketball aswell as NBL Wrap pregame show every week. However settling with Fox won't just work like it did with the A-League, and to an extent the netball. We probably do need FTA coverage, but 11 PM doesn't help that much.

If we can get 9 PM coverage on a friday and saturday in summer, and channel ten and the newbl advertise the coverage much like ten did for the IPL, then would be a huge step for basketball.

Reply #206744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women soccer on FTA starting about 26th of October, be interesting to see what channel

Reply #206751 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Ankle- Where you here that from? I would LOVE it if they have a channel dedicated to sport! Good to know

Reply #206752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If channel Ten decide to make their second channel dedicated to sport, which is likely but not certain, then that is great, but themed channels and sharing content is out the door.

This news has been out for quite some time now, if you wish to know more, the best place would probably be knowfirst.info.

Reply #206755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24031241-601,00.html

Reply #206791 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754