bretts the man
Years ago

Sixers Nbl interest gone

Just a obsevation and certainly not criticism as all forum type sites are interaction sites. But noticed since I started visiting site just over 2 years to last few months how little NBl and sixers posts there have been and a example on the last 20 posts only 1 is about NBl and no sixers post. Where as in seasons previously then almost half would have been NBL or Sixers. Although there seemed to be some excitement about Sixers is it the negative press re NBl season dulled our enthusiasm . Or have people posting changed
as there has been non basketball subjects been raised.
I still enjoy the site but dont visit as much as previously. Just my thoughts

Topic #17620 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

I agree with your observation.......I think people have had a gut full of the poor running of the NBL, no FTA, poor crowds in Sydney - (Australia's biggest city), uncertain future for the NBL, uncertain future for most clubs, Sixers getting thumped in NZ didn't help. It is a pretty expensive sport to follow and people have to be more selective with how they spend their money these days.

People are sick of complaining on these sites as those who could do something about it are too far gone to admit they have been wrong all this time.

Reply #206950 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

I think not having a home game for a month affects local interest / momentum in the Sixers and NBL, particularly without any television coverage.

No coverage = Nothing to talk about.

Little wonder the Team / League struggles to improve it's following.

Reply #206951 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Then why didn't you create a decent Sixers or NBL thread yourself and try to spark some interest?

Did you ever consider that at the moment, there's nothing new to say about the Sixers? we all know the injury concerns, we know they're on the road for the next 2 games, and regarding the NBL as a whole, we all know the present problems with it.

If you want something interesting to talk about relating to the Sixers, then you should've made an interesting observation, or asked a non-obvious question, or something else that can incite discussion.

Or are we all supposed to create threads along the lines of: "Hai guys! who r ur fav sixers this year? mine are aaron bruce and adam ballinger tho balls has been out injured =( look forward to next home game see u all there lol"

Reply #206952 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

All good replies.

Reply #206953 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

^^ There really are some tossers on this site. I think BTM made a valid observation, but it seems most posters on this site just want to bitch about other posts. Why don't you start an insightful thread Dracula instead of bitching?

Reply #206954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i put it down to no home games as well, just less to talk about (bitch/wine etc) and reflect on.

Reply #206955 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Here's a question.... Why do most on this site want to bitch, rather than make positive contribution / debate?

Reply #206956 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Black Dracula -

"Although there seemed to be some excitement about Sixers is it the negative press re NBl season dulled our enthusiasm . Or have people posting changed
as there has been non basketball subjects been raised."

That looks like

"an interesting observation, or asked a non-obvious question, or something else that can incite discussion."

to me.

Reply #206957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's funny that the people who are moaning about bitching and tossers are the actual ones who are doing it!

Reply #206965 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I appreciate what feedback received and anyones views.
It wasnt just about this week or last to me seemed a drop off even leading into season even with so many positives in regard to sixers although feeling empathy for Bullets and Kings supporters on this site.
At Sixers we have a coach that rolled up his sleeve and got us a SA based exciting team.
Three problems here 1 . For many reasons team got together way too late . 2 .Which leads to way too many injuries for this time of year
3 Next year with the formation of team this year next year should be the reward year but will we keep
Schenser Bruce Tyndale and will we lose Brett and Davidson. Should we form team and start training earlier like AFL.
Way of life everyone is a critic it is easiest thing in life to whinge or criticize.
Black Dracula it is not hard to work out my favourite player although I think Ballinger is one of the best allround players we ever had. good to see one of my previous favourite players Darnell still getting points

Reply #206966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As people have said, it probably comes down to the lack of home games, televised games, noteworthy action, etc. e.g., we got beaten in NZ, but other than a boxscore, we don't have much to go by.

Don't forget that the game thread for that game did get almost 100 replies (I think).

Also worth noting that the non-MSM-generated content at the fringe of the NBL is higher this year than at any time in the past - new magazines, episodic videos from a handful of sources, blogs, etc.

And FWIW, traffic to this site is consistent - even a touch higher than at the same point last year.

Reply #206969 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

thedoctor - no, it isn't, because their wasn't any point raised that could be questioned or anything else that could spark interest - all he was doing is stating on the bleeding obvious. I guess it's easier for most people to only rationalise the familiar.

And ESP - why shouldn't I call him out on what really was a statement of the complete obvious? The reason I didn't start a thread is because as I pointed out, there really isn't much to debate or discuss at this point.

Reply #206970 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Black Dracula,

Isn't this topic about the levels of interest in the Sixers on this site and a perceived drop in those interest levels? I would call that an interesting observation, being a sentiment I share. I must admit for my part the off-season shenanigans have worn my interest levels out a bit.

Furthermore, 14 replies so far suggest that there was something to discuss of interest enough for people to reply to it. Given that the topic is 'complete obvious' to you, I assume that you agree with the topic.

Reply #206977 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Firstly Isaac your follow up understood and yes site still remains vibrant.It just that it didnt seem to me the NBL Sixer interaction was down on previous years I also agree points re Interview videos are positive additions and you would have thought created more interest. They are real fun and interesting.
If lack of interest since start of season was so bleeding obvious why wasnt it raised before Black Dracula. New players Draco always create interest in our views etc. That is surely the verdict is still out on Tyndale and to lesser extent Schenser are issues that could have been raised or are we all too scared of the Dracula looking for blood

Reply #206978 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I've reduced my involvement = interest in the site has waned.

Was bound to happen eventually.

Reply #206981 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

"That is surely the verdict is still out on Tyndale and to lesser extent Schenser are issues that could have been raised"

...that's exactly my point. If you wanted to start a discussion, why didn't you mention any of this to begin with?

Also, I didn't say lack of interest since the start of the season. There was actually a lot of interest pre-season on these forums. I mentioned that lately, there has been very little news, as most things Sixers-related have already been discussed; Mark Tyndale, Luke Schenscher, new uniforms, injuries etc. A lot of it happens in the game threads but that doesn't mean it's not being discussed.

Reply #206982 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

Dracula, I was just making the point that if you did not feel there was any value in BTM's thread, why criticise it. You could have just read it and moved on.

Ever heard the saying "If you have nothing positive to say, say nothing at all".

Reply #206987 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I was going to add something to this thread, but ESP has already read my mind and posted all of my "A" meterial.

Reply #206997 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Black Dracula - the question in the original post was whether negative press had dulled posters' enthusiasm, or whether posting habits themeselves had changed (away from the Sixers).

That is a topic in itself, isn't it?

Reply #206998 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The interest is still there, but there has been many exciting posts off season, in particular the Woodville-Sturt Div 2 U12 Boys thread - pure Magic!
138 replies and nearly 3,000 reads would have to have been the best thread posted in the last six weeks.

Reply #207088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any inside on our new unis?
Bring back the Double-D.

Reply #207301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754